DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Free Mavic Pro - What to do?? Need Advice.

The best buy manager was absolutely taken a back by my honesty. Got a free computer monitor which I needed and a $50 gift card.

You still do not seem to get it, do you? Honesty is ITS OWN REWARD, yet you still think it's clever or praiseworthy to profit (by a monitor and gift card) from a mistake you claim you were always going to put right. You seem to believe - by accepting the "gifts" - that you've done right, or at least, acceptably. NOT SO, in my opinion, feels wrong to me to accept gifts for doing what you should have done - immediately - with no thought of reward. Not impressed.

Reactions: elwyn5150
You still do not seem to get it, do you? Honesty is ITS OWN REWARD, yet you still think it's clever or praiseworthy to profit (by a monitor and gift card) from a mistake you claim you were always going to put right. You seem to believe - by accepting the "gifts" - that you've done right, or at least, acceptably. NOT SO, in my opinion, feels wrong to me to accept gifts for doing what you should have done - immediately - with no thought of reward. Not impressed.
@Argee , be mindful the OP was only soliciting advice regarding returning the item, not a moral diatribe of his actions or attitude. Let us remain civil.

Reactions: poak_99 and erkme73
Yeah, ... I'll be eyeing this thread.

If you checked out of Best Buy with a FMC box (including Mavic) and a Mavic box, both of those boxes should have been scanned at the register. Are you sure you were not charged for both?

Last edited:
I went to a local retailer 2 weeks ago to buy the Mavic Pro Fly More Bundle as it was $200 off.
The sales rep came out with a big brown box and proceeded to cash me out.
While waiting I noticed the label on the box read: box contents - and listed all the fly more bundle items but did not list a mavic pro. I mentioned it to the sales rep. He looked at the box, left to the back and came out with a Mavic Pro in a white box.
So i take both home and to my suprise, I open the Fly more bundlebox and there is the white box with the mavic pro inside.
So... I now have a spare mavic pro sitting on my desk.

1. Should I return it?
2. Should I keep it for spare parts?
3. Should I sell it? - I worry about them tracing the mavic s/n back to the store and going after the buyer.

I'm normally a very honest man, but... ugg this is a tough one. The store screwed up, not me.?

What to do? Advice?

This kind of thing happens to honest people, I guess. I also have a Phantom 3 Standard, which I still very much enjoy flying. But when Amazon sent it I noticed the box was pretty big. When I opened it there were TWO instead of my one Phantom 3. I checked and checked to be sure I didn't make a mistake. I waited 3 weeks for someone to call about the error. I thought it'd be nice to give it to one of my grown sons, but finally I went thru the hassle of doing the return. It was the right thing to do but also messy as that kind of return is not a regular matter. I had to call. I didn't need a refund. I also realized that, if I had kept it, they have serial numbers, link back to DJI when flown. Not a risk I'd want to take and have to explain.

Reactions: phoenix3
This kind of thing happens to honest people, I guess. I also have a Phantom 3 Standard, which I still very much enjoy flying. But when Amazon sent it I noticed the box was pretty big. When I opened it there were TWO instead of my one Phantom 3. I checked and checked to be sure I didn't make a mistake. I waited 3 weeks for someone to call about the error. I thought it'd be nice to give it to one of my grown sons, but finally I went thru the hassle of doing the return. It was the right thing to do but also messy as that kind of return is not a regular matter. I had to call. I didn't need a refund. I also realized that, if I had kept it, they have serial numbers, link back to DJI when flown. Not a risk I'd want to take and have to explain.

I will add that later Amazon wrote to me asking about why I returned items like this, if I was an unhappy customer. I just shook my head and remembered how businesses are run now.

@Argee , be mindful the OP was only soliciting advice regarding returning the item, not a moral diatribe of his actions or attitude. Let us remain civil.

I cannot see any difference between my post and post #14 in either content or context. Plus the after-the-event "I was going to return it anyway" doesn't ring true with the original post. I won't be commenting further, or partaking further, but I'm still not impressed.

Reactions: elwyn5150
I went to a local retailer 2 weeks ago to buy the Mavic Pro Fly More Bundle as it was $200 off.
While waiting I noticed the label on the box read: box contents - and listed all the fly more bundle items but did not list a mavic pro. I mentioned it to the sales rep. He looked at the box, left to the back and came out with a Mavic Pro in a white box.
So i take both home and to my suprise, I open the Fly more bundlebox and there is the white box with the mavic pro inside.

1. Should I return it?
3. Should I sell it? - I worry about them tracing the mavic s/n back to the store and going after the buyer.

I'm normally a very honest man, but... ugg this is a tough one. The store screwed up, not me.?

What to do? Advice?
This is not a tough one. You know what to do

Reactions: Afremont

I dont see the issue, he took the Mavic back - which through no fault of his own would have cost him, in his time and gas - it also saved the store and the manager not just the unit cost but likely the time which has a cost in investigating what happened to a $1000 of stock - they tend to take a loss of a single unit with that value seriously - not to mention it could have saved somebody's job and the cost of finding a replacement.

So he took a small thank you from likly a very grateful manager, that doesn't make him any less of an honest person in my book, at the end off the day he did the right thing and was rewarded for his honesty

1. Should I return it?

What to do? Advice?
You had to Return It, It's a Man livelihood, IF IT WAS YOUR STORE WHAT WOULD YOU WANT TO HAPPEN ?

Reactions: SprayingMango
Glad to hear you returned it. I am longtime friends with a Best Buy regional manager and worked part time there for a few seasons. They actually have a very sophisticated theft system in place. At any given time they can pull up all sales transactions of any given item at any store. They take stock tracking very seriously as well, and all items are catalogued at night along with all sales double checked. Chances are they knew that night when an extra drone was missing, along with which employee sold it. They can review camera time stamps along with pull up the sales receipt immediately. My point is....they knew it was you and would have followed up either with local police or you would have been flagged in the system.

Reactions: Jonny_Pain
I'm sure Amazon has similar things in place. They sent two instead of one Phantom 3 Standard to me. I could not believe me eyes when I opened the box. I thought about all the people I could give it to but ultimately I knew I would not sleep well if I did that. It just wasn't me. To top that temptation they wanted to give me credit for the one I was sending back.

I cannot see any difference between my post and post #14 in either content or context. Plus the after-the-event "I was going to return it anyway" doesn't ring true with the original post. I won't be commenting further, or partaking further, but I'm still not impressed.
As the author of post #14, I can say that your post was nothing like mine at all. There are numerous significant differences, but perhaps the biggest is you were criticizing him after he was honest and did the right thing. I was criticizing the speculative proposal -- not yet realized -- to do the wrong thing.

Surely you can see the enormous ethical difference, can't you? I hope?

Also, I utterly disagree with your seemingly cynical criticism of Best Buy's behavior in gratitude. It was generous and virtuous, and very good business practice.

This shouldn't even be a question but glad you returned it.
Actually, those for whom it is not a question would not be asking it and just keep it. Asking the question makes one vulnerable and even accountable, a good move. I admired him for asking. He was seeking the prod to just go ahead and return it. The previous poster stated it well, "What if you were the store owner? Then what would you want the customer to do?"

Hey Hey hey Wait a minute! I didn't get to burn you!
What happened, did they get your guilt trip itinerary all together for you?
It's funny how it makes a difference to some of the people whether it was a big box store or not, or the price tag high or low.
At the end of the day it's stealing, no matter who's mistake or what the scenario is. Someone owns and works hard for the store big or small.
When your brushing your teeth in the morning and looking in the mirror, do you want to look at a thief or an honest man/lady? (Some of us aren't sure what we are.)

Just like the person above said that is so true "Character isn't what you do when someone is looking; it is what you do when no one is looking."
Proverbs 28:6
Better the poor whose walk is blameless than the rich whose ways are perverse.

Wow, thank you, I even got to quote scripture.
And welcome to the forum

Hmmm, so you where going to give it away? and the only reason you didn't keep it is because you concluded you could get busted? A thief doesn't hit certain houses because he has made a determination that it is a bad gamble.
The world would be a better place if people would just do on to others as they would have done for themselves. you sound so casual when you say."I also realized that, if I had kept it, they have serial numbers, link back to DJI when flown. Not a risk I'd want to take and have to explain."

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR