DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FreedomPop SIM cards - OK for Mavic use?

Londroner

Reactions
Anyone using FreedomPop SIM cards in their mobile phones?

I have a spare iPhone which I plan to dedicate solely to Mavic Pro flying. It is currently without a SIM card. I want to get a cheap pay-as-you-go one to make sure I can use it with the Mavic controller. Looking around I found that FreedomPop are offering an essentially 'free' service (with options to add paid features). This looks ideal.

However, it doesn't use GSM for calls and messages, only VoIP and then only through its own app. Would this cause any problems with the GPS necessary to control the Mavic?

If anyone uses FreedomPop I'd love to hear of your experiences or, if it not suitable, what would you recommend as a good pay-as-you-go service (UK only please)?

Many thanks.

Never heard of them mate, and I work in telecoms! Sounds like a proxy service?

Any reason you'd not get a £5 giffgaff sim?

I have several FreedomPop sims. The free service is severely limited in data allowance - 200 Mb per month. If that's OK for your use, then go for it. It's free for life. They don't even bug you to upgrade. I'm not sure how much data you would need to fly your Mavic with. With sw updates, map and video downloads and such, it may not be suitable. You don't really need data service to fly if you cache your maps beforehand.

I use my FP sims in old phones as gps trackers. I throw one in each car as cheap LoJack I even have a tiny Posh Micro phone, that is small enough to fit on the Mavic, and it is cheaper and better than any other gps tracker.

I have several FreedomPop sims. The free service is severely limited in data allowance - 200 Mb per month. If that's OK for your use, then go for it. It's free for life. They don't even bug you to upgrade. I'm not sure how much data you would need to fly your Mavic with. With sw updates, map and video downloads and such, it may not be suitable. You don't really need data service to fly if you cache your maps beforehand.
Cool info, thanks. So you reckon I'll need more than 200Mb to keep current with updates, maps, etc., or can I just grab these via wifi at home?

Cool info, thanks. So you reckon I'll need more than 200Mb to keep current with updates, maps, etc., or can I just grab these via wifi at home?
Sorry, i can't answer that, as I don't fly with my Freedompop phone. I'm not sure how much data is used while flying. But considering the SIM and data is free, I would just give it try.

Reactions: Londroner
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dochavez1986