DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Freewell Anamorphic Lens on Mavic 3

Dogpilot

Reactions
I got the Freewell Wide/Anamorphic kit just to check it out. I really am impressed with the results. It can point fairly close to the sun without flare. It produces excellent results in video. I have tried it on both the 3 and the 3 Cine. Kind of expensive, but really worth it.
View of bluffs below SP Crater (a fairly recent epigenetic volcano).

SP Limestone Bluffs.1.jpeg

I tried all three, the Freewell, wide, anamorphic and the DJI Wide. I find this one has the best and most pleasing image. The DJI had more fringing at the sides making the images get soft at the sides. Three shots, roughly the same time, roughly the same shot:
Freewell Anamorphic:
anthro wide.1.jpg
Freewell Wide:
frewell wide.1.jpg
DJI Wide:
dji wide.1.jpg

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I tried all three, the Freewell, wide, anamorphic and the DJI Wide. I find this one has the best and most pleasing image. The DJI had more fringing at the sides making the images get soft at the sides. Three shots, roughly the same time, roughly the same shot:
Freewell Anamorphic:
View attachment 171506
Freewell Wide:
View attachment 171507
DJI Wide:
View attachment 171508
Thanks for the comparison.
Would stitching selected pano images from the stock 24mm 180° pano or a smaller manually shot pano eliminate the fringing you experienced with the DJI wide angle adapter?

I find doing pano kind of impractical in many cases and not really possible in video. The supplemental is quick and easy and provides pleasing results.

I find doing pano kind of impractical in many cases and not really possible in video. The supplemental is quick and easy and provides pleasing results.
For video, the anamorphic lens is the only solution, but 180° panos are fully automated and quickly stitched for you on the Mavic 3 in less than 45 seconds, and then you can choose the degree of the 180° field you want, by cropping the automated stitch, or manually stitching from the overlapping originals.
Whatever works best for you, though!

The other thing I personally do not like about panos is the aspect. Not being able to find the illustration of what an image looks like if you take the same area looking from a telephoto down a super wide. The aspect and look and feel of the photo is very different. To me, panos look flat. This might be why I have an irrational number of lenses for my DSLR's, that and I need some really specialized ones for my work. If one lens could do it all, then there would be no need of interchangeable lenses or zooms. When I worked in Alaska, I shot 2 ¼" film a lot. The images are simply better, not from a resolution standpoint, but the way the optics lay down the image. I just got tired of lugging around a brick, literally. 2 ¼" format in digital still remains silly expensive and with limited support in terms of lenses, unless you have the budget of a small European country. The images do have that much better aspect than small format, at a price.

To each their own. I try to use the best lens for the shot. I found this one works well for my type of work. The cost of the wide and anamorphic, with the ND filters as well is comparable to the DJI offering for just the lens. The price is better if you get it from Ali express, provided you don't need it for a few weeks while it strolls over from overseas.

Last edited:
Thanks for this. But at the small sizes of your samples it’s hard to see much difference.
Possible to post 100% versions?
If you save the JPGs at 40/40% quality the file size will be negligible yet will present on screen plenty sharp.
Thx!
Also what’s the focal length equivalent of the anamorphic filter?

Sure, not really finding the actually focal length figure for the anthomorphic. The way the lens bings in the image is different than the straight wide. Software can be used to, as they call it, de-squeeze it. I personally rather like the effect. I have two Nikon wides, one 16mm with more curved field and one 16mm that is flat. Both produce different looking images for different purposes. The kit from Freewell includes both wide & anamorphic, along with 4 ND clip on filters.
DJI Wide
dji wide.1.jpg
Freewell Wide
frewell wide.1.jpg
Freewell Anamorphic
anthro wide.1.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads