DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Freewell Filters for preorder

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Just so folks know, Freewell has some filters that are soon to be released. I have DJI's ND filters and am looking forward to being able to get CPL and strong ND filters for an anticipated trip to a nearby (well...250mi away) waterfall, which I am waiting to plan till I have the ND 1000 and 2000 available. I'm not connected to Freewell or, often, reality ...but this is a link. https://www.freewellgear.com/mavic-3-pro/1085-dji-mavic-3-pro-filters-all-day-8pack.html Now... a heads up... I am spending a LOT of money on the ND 1000 and ND 2000 because those are really the only two filters I want in this pack. I may use the CPL on occasion over water and up in the mountains I'll be interested to see if the UV is useful as I can cut down on the blue haze but I doubt I'll use the ND PL filters at all unless I happen to have a tele shot of a mountain with the sun at the side of me. But I AM waiting on ND 1000 and 2000 for a trip that will include a waterfall I want a slow shutter speed for and I don't see any other makers with such filters on the horizon so I have that set ordered, hopefully shipping in a few weeks. I wish they are available individually but I don't see that option.

Just so folks know, Freewell has some filters that are soon to be released. I have DJI's ND filters and am looking forward to being able to get CPL and strong ND filters for an anticipated trip to a nearby (well...250mi away) waterfall, which I am waiting to plan till I have the ND 1000 and 2000 available. I'm not connected to Freewell or, often, reality ...but this is a link. https://www.freewellgear.com/mavic-3-pro/1085-dji-mavic-3-pro-filters-all-day-8pack.html Now... a heads up... I am spending a LOT of money on the ND 1000 and ND 2000 because those are really the only two filters I want in this pack. I may use the CPL on occasion over water and up in the mountains I'll be interested to see if the UV is useful as I can cut down on the blue haze but I doubt I'll use the ND PL filters at all unless I happen to have a tele shot of a mountain with the sun at the side of me. But I AM waiting on ND 1000 and 2000 for a trip that will include a waterfall I want a slow shutter speed for and I don't see any other makers with such filters on the horizon so I have that set ordered, hopefully shipping in a few weeks. I wish they are available individually but I don't see that option.
Not having used 1 or 2K NDs on a drone before, have you had success with the shutter being open that long on a hovering Mavic?

I ended up cancelling my Freewell order and ordering what I wanted from BH Video since they had them in individual options. I've not yet tried a super slow shutterspeed with my drone....but folks doing hyperlapses of cars have reported using very slow shutter speed with great affect. I've used long shutter speeds for that kind of thing, up to 1" with no problem in still air so I'm confident it would work well for waterfalls. I'd mention from my photography experience that I am betting that about 1/15 a sec will be in the ballpark and if the air is relatively still I'm hoping that will be possible.

I ended up cancelling my Freewell order and ordering what I wanted from BH Video since they had them in individual options. I've not yet tried a super slow shutterspeed with my drone....but folks doing hyperlapses of cars have reported using very slow shutter speed with great affect. I've used long shutter speeds for that kind of thing, up to 1" with no problem in still air so I'm confident it would work well for waterfalls. I'd mention from my photography experience that I am betting that about 1/15 a sec will be in the ballpark and if the air is relatively still I'm hoping that will be possible.
Since it appears you are more interested in stills than video, the desired waterfall motion blur is easily created in Photoshop in post, but you cannot recreate the original sharpness after creating the motion blur the on the take. I'd shoot it normally using AEB without ND filters, and blur to taste in PS in post. Just don't blow out the whites on the take! They will be irrecoverable.

No...actually I am interested in video more than stills and am hoping to get video of the waterfall with a bit of blurring. I'm not sure it's even going to take an ND1000l but I'll see. Blowing out the whites is, as you say, often the issue. I used to shoot Dlog but am really liking DlogM although I don't care for the DJI LUT designed for it. I find the older DLog LUT to work better. When I shoot stills I virtually always shoot AEB. My hope is to be able to approach it slowly at ISO 100 shooting 1/15sec at a decent Fstop. I haven't done any moving video at 1/15 so I have some experimenting to do. Another option might be to approach at a normal shutter speed, stop in mid air, stop filming, change to a lower shutter speed and adjust the settings and begin filming, reverse the settings and continue on, then combining it all in post. Dunno :). Maybe that's just not possible. The waterfall I have in mind is at 1:26 on this video

No...actually I am interested in video more than stills and am hoping to get video of the waterfall with a bit of blurring. I'm not sure it's even going to take an ND1000l but I'll see. Blowing out the whites is, as you say, often the issue. I used to shoot Dlog but am really liking DlogM although I don't care for the DJI LUT designed for it. I find the older DLog LUT to work better. When I shoot stills I virtually always shoot AEB. My hope is to be able to approach it slowly at ISO 100 shooting 1/15sec at a decent Fstop. I haven't done any moving video at 1/15 so I have some experimenting to do. Another option might be to approach at a normal shutter speed, stop in mid air, stop filming, change to a lower shutter speed and adjust the settings and begin filming, reverse the settings and continue on, then combining it all in post. Dunno :). Maybe that's just not possible. The waterfall I have in mind is at 1:26 on this video
The only reason I assumed stills only is you were talking about 1/15 sec which is not possible with video, unless you are shooting a hyperlapse, in which case Photoshop is still your best bet on the resulting stills that create the hyperlapse. The shutter speed of video can never be less than the frame rate, and 24fps is the lowest available, limiting you to a minimum of 1/25 sec for the video shutter speed, assuming 24fps.

In any event, I look forward to your finished video!

Hah! If I had given it any serious thought I suppose I would have realized that but as I had not tried it my murky mind had me shooting 60fps at a shutter speed of 1/15 which would have bent the rules of reality. Apparently I will be forced to change my plans to coincide with the real world. Always frustrating! LOL It's a two day trip for that shot so don't hold your breath. It will happen....

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Hah! If I had given it any serious thought I suppose I would have realized that but as I had not tried it my murky mind had me shooting 60fps at a shutter speed of 1/15 which would have bent the rules of reality. Apparently I will be forced to change my plans to coincide with the real world. Always frustrating! LOL It's a two day trip for that shot so don't hold your breath. It will happen....
I'm sure video motion blur of waterfalls can also be created in Premier Pro in your editing suite in post! Shoot at 60 fps and 1/125 second, and just make sure not to blow out the whites. Waterfalls are pretty blurry anyway, so you won't need to add much additional blur after, if you just shoot normally. Most importantly, you then have full control over the amount of blur to your liking, or none at all, instead of wanting more or less and needing to completely reshoot, requiring another 2 day trip, perhaps trying different filters!

I have had excellent results with an ND1000 on the M2P and the M3 for stills. I shoot a ton over water, specifically rivers and waterfalls, and the ND2000 has me pretty excited to try.

I have had excellent results with an ND1000 on the M2P and the M3 for stills. I shoot a ton over water, specifically rivers and waterfalls, and the ND2000 has me pretty excited to try.
What kind of shutter speeds are you using with the 1000?

What kind of shutter speeds are you using with the 1000?
usually between 1 and 4-5 seconds. Here are a few samples.

Attachments

• longexpo-1.jpg
    longexpo-1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
  • longexpo-2.jpg
    longexpo-2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
  • longexpo-3.jpg
    longexpo-3.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
Looking at the static objects, they are well-defined even at up to 3.2 seconds on the exposures. I'll have to give it a try. My only experience with 1k and 2k NDs is on a tripod-mounted DSLR.

Knowing that strong ND filters are available now makes the M3P so tempting! Tell me, does it have the same 'unlock gimbal during shooting' feature as the M2Pro? This is the kind of shot I like to make with my NDs.IMG_20230603_081852_004.jpg

NEEWER Effect Filter Set Compatible with DJI Mavic 3 Pro/Pro Cine, 4 Pack Snap On HD SGND1.2 Soft Edge Gradient Neutral Density/Light Pollution Reduction/8x Star/Blue Streak Anamorphic Effect Filter $45​

Mavic 3 Pro users, this might be a fun deal to try out: Amazon.com

Last edited:

NEEWER Effect Filter Set Compatible with DJI Mavic 3 Pro/Pro Cine, 4 Pack Snap On HD SGND1.2 Soft Edge Gradient Neutral Density/Light Pollution Reduction/8x Star/Blue Streak Anamorphic Effect Filter $45​

Mavic 3 Pro users, this might be a fun deal to try out: Amazon.com
Thanks! Worth it for the GND alone! Ordered!
Only 5 left, supposedly…

Reactions: mavic3usa
Hi, I want to try this with my M3.
Is it possible to use auto focus with an ND1000?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird