DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Freezing Fog Rolls Over Old Hickory Lake in Hendersonville, TN on Dec. 23, 2022

I got out and grabbed a few aerial images with my Mavic Air 2 yesterday over my neighborhood in Hendersonville, TN, near Old Hickory Lake in -3° temperatures. My hands just about froze, but the images were worth it. Here is a sample.View attachment 158665
nice shot...fun composition...perfect exposure...I had no idea it ever got that cold in TN...

Reactions: rickmurray1989
@rickmurray1989
You just reminded me that I have one of these muff things. I haven't used it for over a year and had pretty much forgotten about it. I'm going to try to fly this afternoon just before sundown. Even with the muff I just may have to sit in my car. Current temp if 4°F.

1671984842322.png

@rickmurray1989
You just reminded me that I have one of these muff things. I haven't used it for over a year and had pretty much forgotten about it. I'm going to try to fly this afternoon just before sundown. Even with the muff I just may have to sit in my car. Current temp if 4°F.

View attachment 158678
I just got back in from flying again about an hour ago... It was a "balmy" 25° and sunny this time.

Is -3 really excellent for the Air 2? I’ve been thinking about getting in the air but worried about temps.
-3° is not really good for any electronics, as the cold has an adverse impact upon battery life. Along with the temperature, I was also dealing with wind significant winds. Whenever I do fly in this sort of weather, I don't venture very far from my launch site and I keep a close watch on the remaining battery life.

Reactions: kalimah
-3° is not really good for any electronics, as the cold has an adverse impact upon battery life. Along with the temperature, I was also dealing with wind significant winds. Whenever I do fly in this sort of weather, I don't venture very far from my launch site and I keep a close watch on the remaining battery life.
It also has an adverse effect on velcro too!
I was out flying in 4° weather for a few minutes yesterday. After about 5 minutes of flight time I could see my front mounted strobe hanging down in front of the camera. Luckily the low hanging strobe made me bring my drone in and I didn't lose another Arc V. I've already lost two due to velcro that wore out easily. This time it was the adhesive that stopped adhering in the cold. I'm switching back to elastic bands on the front arms.

Gotcha. I didn’t think so. I’m only thinking about going up grabbing a couple quick shots and coming down. Think I’ll wait til the temps rise a bit.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78