DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Freighters in the Bay

Hello Southampton- I use www.shipfinder.com to get additional information about the freighters... where they came from, where they go next and how old they are.
One app that is particularly useful is Marinetraffic.
With Marinetraffic you can get a lot of information about each ship including its course, speed and destination.
But the most useful is the wind the ship is currently recording.
If you are flying offshore, knowing the actual wind out there is very useful - much better than any forecast.
Here's an example
i-X25ZWSq-L.png
i-tnptNGf-L.png
i-k7ZWmhr-L.png

Reactions: AngryGardener
Hello Southampton- I use www.shipfinder.com to get additional information about the freighters... where they came from, where they go next and how old they are.

I like also enjoy night flights, but the exposure times are longer so it has to be very calm on the water.

0911f61c3dbf977ddd42dedab09aecee.jpg
Wow thanks for this! I'm going to chase ships this weekend!

The closest I've come to one of them is seeing a few of their containers adding colour to someone else's ship.
Ships are my favourite photo subjects and I do a lot of flying at sea.
You can see a few examples of my work here:
Shipping Photography Examples - Above & Beyond Photography

[Me entering house]: Honey! Iv'e got a new hobby I didn't know existed 24 hours ago!
[Wife, Rolling her eyes]: What is it today?
Me: You remember my drone?
Wife: You talk about it everyday, how can I forget?
Me: Well, I can take pictures of Freight ships with it on the seaway!
[Wife, rolling her eyes so hard the pupil detaches]: Oh not again...
Me: Look! This app lets me track ships around the world and upload pictures of ships I see!
(At this point, my wife's eyeball have fallen from their sockets from rolling so hard)
Me: And I can look at them in panorama mode on my VR headset, Remember my VR headset?
(Her head explodes)

WOW!! Absolutely gorgeous pix .. Great colors, perspective and
subject matter..
Wx here in NorCal is starting to improve, so I'll be taking off soon ..
Thank you for sharing your talents w/ the group ..

[Me entering house]: Honey! Iv'e got a new hobby I didn't know existed 24 hours ago!
[Wife, Rolling her eyes]: What is it today?
Me: You remember my drone?
Wife: You talk about it everyday, how can I forget?
Me: Well, I can take pictures of Freight ships with it on the seaway!
[Wife, rolling her eyes so hard the pupil detaches]: Oh not again...
Me: Look! This app lets me track ships around the world and upload pictures of ships I see!
(At this point, my wife's eyeball have fallen from their sockets from rolling so hard)
Me: And I can look at them in panorama mode on my VR headset, Remember my VR headset?
(Her head explodes)

Ha, my wife came home yesterday and said “grab your drone, let’s take the dog to the beach... there is a big new container ship in the harbour!” True story.

9a6dfc80af1644f8db0f964ee558e2c8.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu