DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Frequency of loss. I want one but . . .

That said, why would I lose connectivity at half a mile? My understanding is that it's supposed to have a range of around 6 miles. That's why I bought it. Did I misunderstand what the specs were saying?
The maximum range is in optimum conditions, with perfect antenna orientation, in an interference-free environment.

Wow, you got a lot of advice! I don't see where anybody mentioned the 'F Zone', or Fresnel Effect. Your comment about flying over salt marshes reminds me that lots of losses over water involve flying too low over water, or over the ground, too far out. You might want to google on terms like 'understanding the fresnel effect' and check out a YouTube or two. I think the Fresnel Effect for radio transmitters explains lots of losses of control when flying close to water, the ground, or even too close to a roof.
I was a little too nervous about flying low, so I had it 70 meters in the air. Since I know imperial measures far better than metric ones, I didn't fully appreciate just how high 70 meters is. I just didn't want to bump into anything and I wanted a lot of solid land in view of the drone--just in case it would help. I'm still so much of a novice I'm not even sure when I'm recording video. I got about 10 minutes of it and then, as it was coming back to the house to land, the video simply stopped. Not sure what I hit to stop it. I'll let it suffice to say that flying this thing is much more complicated than I expected.

Oh, and as far as the "F zone" goes, I'll check it out.

Last edited:
I'll let it suffice to say that flying this thing is much more complicated than I expected.
Your drone is a sophisticated flying machine and there's a learning curve to become proficient.
It's probably best to learn a lot more about how it all works with the drone much closer to you.
Don't get too adventurous, too early.

Reactions: BobbyBob
Hey there Xooterpust (interesting droner name...)
You will likely get many comments on your post which....attests to the visibility of this site.
I have a Mavic Mini....and when you follow general guidelines, you shall likely avoid angst & loss. Try to acknowledge that these are amazingly designed machines but should one throw challenging factors in the mix such as extra distance or obstacles which mess with signals then yeah, you're going to have an unpleasant story to tell.
My thought:
1) keep within the limits of the drone
2) keep your needs realistic
But I thought expecting connectivity at half a mile WAS realistic. Heck, I was thinking that maintaining connectivity at 2, 3, or 4 miles would be realistic given the specs. How did I think that would work? Well, I wondered. I just accepted the 10 km flight distance in the spec sheet at face value. DJI said so, and I believed it.

Sounds like you got a good bargain there! nice one. I think the antenna on the MA2 is the black thing on top of the phone holder, which you need to keep pointing at the drone. It should stay connected ok so long as there is not too much interference, such as from nearby cell towers, or obstacles - but water can play tricks on your drone as explained to some extent at Remote signal strength when flying over water. As this is a bit of different topic to the useful thread you started on "frequency of loss" for beginners, you might want to put the question on a more topic related thread or start a new one.

But before I go, here's 4 things that may help:
1. you need to rely on your flying skill rather than sensors over water at low altitude, becuase the downward vision sensors on you MA2 (like most drones) sometimes get confused when flying over water.
2. I'd endorse Meta4's suggestion above, especially as you are trying to gain basic flying skills and experience at the same time as figuring out quite a sophisticated drone.
3. When you do get back out on the water, it might be a good idea to get some floats to go on your drone (if its not too windy). I've not used them myself so can't vouch for how well they work, but if it does take a swim, at least you may have a chance of recovering it intact.
(and of course, 4. don't put yourself or anyone at risk trying to recover a drowning drone!)

Last edited:
The drone was about half a mile away when it began to lose signal and got a message about adjusting the antennae. If it has antenna, I can't find them.

Just point the top of the controller (above the phone clasp) towards the aircraft general direction, that's all you can do with the stock Air controllers.

Glad you bought a decent DJI type tech drone, a cheaper one is easier to cope with if lost, but the tech on the DJI drones is 2nd to none, far less chance f losing it in the first place . . . as long as you know all the features and behaviours, reading that manual twice and whenever something comes up you don't know, watching first flight and tips videos on YouTube for the aircraft.

Enjoy the Air2, it's pretty solid in the Air with a brisk wind, but always try and fly out against the wind where possible, an easy trip back to home point.
If you must fly out with a wind, start the trip back from no less than 60% battery remaining, and keep RTH low-ish to avoid higher winds . . . even then experience might tell you to just not fly on some days.

Last edited:
Just point the top of the controller (above the phone clasp) towards the aircraft general direction, that's all you can do with the stock Air controllers.

Glad you bought a decent DJI type tech drone, a cheaper one is easier to cope with if lost, but the tech on the DJI drones is 2nd to none, far less chance f losing it in the first place . . . as long as you know all the features and behaviours, reading that manual twice and whenever something comes up you don't know, watching first flight and tips videos on YouTube for the aircraft.

Enjoy the Air2, it's pretty solid in the Air with a brisk wind, but always try and fly out against the wind where possible, an easy trip back to home point.
If you must fly out with a wind, start the trip back from no less than 60% battery remaining, and keep RTH low-ish to avoid higher winds . . . even then experience might tell you to just not fly on some days.
Where I live there are a lot of days with heavy winds. I'd planned not to fly it at all on those days.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji