DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Frequently unable to changing flight mode in DJI FLY

Spook2608

Reactions
Hi all,

I am having a puzzling problem with my MM or Fly app that I am hoping the combined knowledge here can help with.

I have had my MM for approaching 3 months now but have very little flight time as I only try with very, very low wind........

However, several times when flying I have the same problem, if I try to change mode nothing happens, pressing the “Mode-P” (cant remember exact phrase) on the top left of the screen does nothing, if I go into the settings where the 3 options are listed, non are selected, if I select one nothing changes and going back to the setting again shows non are selected.

If I then bring the MM back, turn it off, quick the fly app, then start all over again generally this fixes the problem.

However, I am concerned that I might only find this problem if I need to try and change to Sport mode to bring the MM back and find that I cant.

This is really strange, I have checked the firmware and software versions, indeed this problem happened before the last Fly App update (IIRC).

If it makes any difference I am using a Samsung s10 (in flight mode while flying following advice) and downloaded the app from DJI website not the play store.

Would really welcome some help on this one.

Many Thanks

Jonathan

Have you deleted the app and reinstalled it.
I always try the simplest things first.
Hey it works sometimes.?

Are you on Android 10 ? It is a bug that crept in after the Android 10 update on my S9+, before that I never encountered it.

Same with remote buttons (which are software linked w/ AC) and same for the video video going corrupt (the latter requiring a reboot).

DJI Fly app definitely buggier on the Android 10 than it was on the 9th revision.

With slightly better (less wind) weather today I tried it again, still with the same problem but I have a little more information now.

So, as part of my pre-flight check I made sure I could change the mode before take off, which I could. I then took off and after a few minutes tried to change mode, no joy. I brought the MM back to land, exited the app, re-started the app (I did not turn the MM off) and then tried to change mode - which I could after changing mode.

I then uninstalled the Fly app (which I had initially downloaded directly from the DJI webpage) and reinstalled it from the Playstore.

Carried out pre-flight checks, all good including change flight mode, took off and almost immediately tried to change mode, nothing.... still exactly the same problem :(

This is so very, very frustrating and also worrying as I keep reminding myself to use sport mode if I get into trouble bringing the MM back, but that is useless if I cannot change mode....

Any Idea where to go from here?

Trying another device isn’t very easy, but surely the app should work on a Samsung S10?

Really appreciate any help.

Thanks all.

Jonathan

Find a willing participant that has an iPhone?
May be worth a try. Bugs are bugs.

I've never seen this problem happen before I updated my S9+ to Android 10, so if you ask me it's Android 10 related. Obviously this app is lacking the necessary stability and compatibility and can be even defined quite old and unupdated in a fast changing mobile world.

I noticed my Mavic Mini button toggle p/s/c it's a bit laggy too. I have to press twice or three times until it works. Same happens to me with camera shoother button.

Take into account we are controlling a remote drone. When you press that buttton, remote controller has to send a command, Mavic Mini has to receive and execute, then 'done' flag is sending back to remote controller and displayed at screen. It can takes some time and makes you think app is failing.

Best regards

Raul.

(Samsun Galaxy A40 Android 9)

Hi all,

I am having a puzzling problem with my MM or Fly app that I am hoping the combined knowledge here can help with.

I have had my MM for approaching 3 months now but have very little flight time as I only try with very, very low wind........

However, several times when flying I have the same problem, if I try to change mode nothing happens, pressing the “Mode-P” (cant remember exact phrase) on the top left of the screen does nothing, if I go into the settings where the 3 options are listed, non are selected, if I select one nothing changes and going back to the setting again shows non are selected.

If I then bring the MM back, turn it off, quick the fly app, then start all over again generally this fixes the problem.

However, I am concerned that I might only find this problem if I need to try and change to Sport mode to bring the MM back and find that I cant.

This is really strange, I have checked the firmware and software versions, indeed this problem happened before the last Fly App update (IIRC).

If it makes any difference I am using a Samsung s10 (in flight mode while flying following advice) and downloaded the app from DJI website not the play store.

Would really welcome some help on this one.

Many Thanks

Jonathan

Hello Jonathan, I'm facing the very same situation since I updated my Huawei P30 to Android 10 a couple of weeks ago. Can't switch between flight modes and the video/photo buttons are also not interchangeable once you've taking a pic or a video. They also get stucked.
A totally frustrating and annoying glitch that can't be solved deleting and reinstalling the app...

Cheers,
Oscar

I too am using a Samsung S9+, that I recently upgraded to Android 10.

If I remember right, right after the upgrade I also had an issue with the flight modes not working.

I uninstalled the app, ran Device Care to clear out the memory, shut the phone off (NOT restart), let it sit for 3 mins, rebooted it, and re-intalled the app.

Did all that help? I'm not sure, but I am sure that I no longer have the problem.

NB: I do know that not all similar models of devices exhibit the same problems. My S9+ may work flawlessly while someone else's S9+ may be experiencing problems. Not sure why that is.

Were you by chance putting the phone into offline mode or turning off the Bluetooth or Wi-Fi manually ? I've read of one fellow MM pilot lamenting something like that causing the issue.

Reactions: Condor71
Were you by chance putting the phone into offline mode or turning off the Bluetooth or Wi-Fi manually ? I've read of one fellow MM pilot lamenting something like that causing the issue.

Good advise m80116!
This simple adjustment fixed the problem, at least for me. From now on, I will never put my phone in Airplane mode again. I will just cancel the all the notifications. It worked flawlessly during the past 4 flights.

THANKS!

Reactions: m80116
The user manual does not state to put the phone in airplane mode, it just advises not to receive calls or text during flight (to avoid distractions I guess). It also mentions that cellular data is needed which I think is for caching map data?

1586755088807.png1586755088807.png

It's a glitch... it should't behave like that but it does. Devs should be aware of this isse as it was brought to their attention in the official DJI forum (mod. ack).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803