DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fresh Kill

I hate being the guy to snark about someone's flying and footage, but you should definitely not do that again. Whether or not the nest appears to be flourishing, and whether or not a developer is going to be working there, please stay away from that nest and let them be. Ospreys are protected, especially nesting ones. Conservationists have done an incredible amount of work over the years building osprey nests all along the Jersey Shore to help the population of this threatened species. Harassing them is not going to help this cause. Whether or not you think that the nest is flourishing, drones absolutely stress out nesting birds. (I inadvertently upset an oystercatcher who, unbeknownst to me, had a nest in the dunes near where I was flying on the beach. I had to land and go fly somewhere else.) Not to mention that it is going to lead to more restrictive drone laws in NJ, which is not good for any of us. If you're going to come down the shore with your drone, that's totally fine -- just please be mindful and steer clear of our sensitive wildlife.

If you want to see into a nest -- a valid curiosity -- there are some great osprey cams online at Island Beach State Park.
This was taken last summer and pardon my ignorance, at the time I had new clue what kind of bird this even was. I was not aware of any harm flying a drone can cause to the species. I am not an ornithologist but thanks to the forum I learnt a lot. I have not been back there this summer nor is this a flight I'm taking ever again. I thank you all for bringing awareness not only to myself but to the many fellow members on how to conduct around wildlife.

This was taken last summer and pardon my ignorance, at the time I had new clue what kind of bird this even was. I was not aware of any harm flying a drone can cause to the species. I am not an ornithologist but thanks to the forum I learnt a lot. I have not been back there this summer nor is this a flight I'm taking ever again. I thank you all for bringing awareness not only to myself but to the many fellow members on how to conduct around wildlife.

That's fair. Thanks for understanding. Happy flying!

Reactions: DDS
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat