DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fresh Meat from Oklahoma City (and occasionally Da Nang, Viet Nam)

Is Droneup an Apple only app?
I will have to get back to you about DroneUp, It is (or was…) Android and Apple available, but my copy is not working. It has been a bit since I've used it and perhaps they changed the App and the name. Here is the Link to it for more information… Some of the links do not work, perhaps they have gone out of business

App News | DroneUp

I also use Aloft (Air Control)…

Aloft Air Control - Apps on Google Play

What do you think about Windy, if you lived on the coast, it would even report the surf height…

New drone pilot from Oklahoma City Metro Area. I also spend a month yearly in Da Nang, Viet Nam, although that was cut back during the Covid period.

Here is a bit of info from my "I love me wall":
1. Former Career Air Force Veteran (almost 90% living overseas)
2. Current (almost retired!) civil service engineer for the DoD & USAF
3. Avid Amateur Radio operator (FCC Extra Class License, Call sign is AA5H)
4. Former Professional Photographer (still active, but not for business)
5. Part 107 licensed (but that doesn't retract nor mitigate my Noob status

My Self-Imposed NOOB Rules
1. Mouth Shut unless you have a question (or posting in the "noob" section)
2. Place Ego in pocket, don your thick skin PPE
3. LISTEN (read) and LEARN from others.

I have a DJI Mini-Pro 4 and seven acres of rural land to practice flying. I don't know the direction I'm eventually headed, recreational or business, but at this point, it doesn't matter; my involvement for now will be limited to LISTENING (reading), LEARNING, and not sticking my foot in my mouth.

Special Note for any Viet Nam Members/Pilots: I need valid information on registration and drone flying in Viet Nam. Current online drone information for Viet Nam is wildly inaccurate. Please get in touch with me on the forum or by PM (if you prefer to respond using Vietnamese).

Respectfully Posted

Brian
Love the NOOB rules - so true!

Not a Chance… The National Mall is within the Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA), a roughly a circular area with a 30 nautical mile (about 33 statute miles) radius around Washington, D.C., and surrounds the Flight-Restricted Zone (FRZ).

The Flight-Restricted Zone (FRZ) extends approximately 15 nautical miles (about 17 statute miles) around Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport. The airport is located in Arlington County, VA, four miles from downtown Washington, D.C. The FRZ has been in effect since September 11, 2001.

And inside the FRZ is Prohibited Areas 56 A & B (P-56) and these areas are prohibited areas surrounding the White House, the National Mall, and the vice president's residence in Washington, D.C.

The only aircraft that are allowed to fly within these prohibited areas are specially authorized flights that are in direct support of the U.S. Secret Service, the Office of the President, or one of several government agencies with missions that require air support within P-56. These prohibited areas have been in effect for about 50 years.

Don't try it, they'll chase you out too… You'll have to buy a post card… L :cool: L . . .

Believe it or not.png

Reactions: SeaBass
Not a Chance… The National Mall is within the Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA), a roughly a circular area with a 30 nautical mile (about 33 statute miles) radius around Washington, D.C., and surrounds the Flight-Restricted Zone (FRZ).
Yup...just found the info on the Capital Police website: "Federal law prohibits flying Unmanned Aircraft Systems, such as drones, anywhere in the District of Columbia. Washington, D.C. and the U.S. Capitol Grounds are designated as a NO DRONE ZONE."

DANG...... I wanted to recreate the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool scene from Forrest Gump.... :(

Reactions: LoudThunder
I could spend a lifetime taking pictures of this , supposedly it in Da Nang but you rarely see these any drone shots of this. Is this real or AI ?

The Mods are probably itching to move this thread to another forum category, so will try to provide a moderately brief explanation.

The photo is real and was taken on a mountain peak called "Ba Na Hills." Ba Na Hills sits atop a small mountain range located 4900ft above and West of Da Nang City. It was one of the main arteries of the Ho Chi Minh trail during the war; Da Nang City borders the range on the East (which can be seen in the photo's background) and Laos on the West. It was home to a small hotel that served as a French Officer R&R retreat during the 1950s; it still has an active Buddhist Temple, the reason it was never bombed during the war. Until the tourist boom started in 2013, the site remained unspoiled and reachable by cable car. I have thousands of RAW images taken before the boom; it was magnificent.

In 2013, developers poured millions into the location, heavy equipment was hauled up a single-lane dirt road, several 100 acres were clear-cut, and a "European" style theme park was built complete with a phony Euro-village and the "hands bridge' seen in the photo. I watched the "Hands bridge" under construction; while it was made to "look old," underneath is modern steel lattice and rebar. An image search will display a few zillion photos with the same view, It is the #1 photo-op location taken from within the controlled park area.

As "Ba Na Hills" is privately owned, they exercise Disney-style creative control, and will not allow drone footage except for their promotional footage. Website: Home

While such progress provides jobs for the locals, it has come at a high price on the area's natural beauty. Much of the mountain fauna has been destroyed, and the native wildlife has either relocated or perished,

To the Vietnam Vet that earlier posted in this thread: Ba Na Hills is located just to the West of the "Freedom Hill" area, which housed the base "PX" and recreation area.

Brian

Last edited:
Brian: Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.
FLY SAFE & FLY SMART

Reactions: SeaBass
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne