DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FRIA

Bottom line is most recreational drones flyers won't bother to come to these places because they don't feel welcome.

• Haha
Reactions: MARK (LI)
I don't even care about flying there....just pointing out that there is no benefit to being an AMA member. It is apparent that they got a field for the Model aircraft operators.....nothing for drone operators

Reactions: Torque
Only way is to form local drone group and drive local govt to abide by law.
Around here there are still quite a few places to fly and for the most part, hobby drone flyers don't want to form or join clubs or have any interaction with local government whatsoever. If I want to toss around the football or swing the golf club on a few balls or use my pickleball racket against a wall (for example), I should be able to go do it without having to worry about a bunch of bylaws and policies, fill out forms, get insurance, pay fees, have inspections, etc. and co-mingle with strangers....I mostly want to fly alone and be left alone or with a friend/relative. And I can do that pretty much anywhere, the parks and open spaces and abandoned buildings are still pretty good but as the number of us start to grow and the no drone signs start to pop up and there is an attempt to control and corral us thru organizations and frias and more "registrations", I'm not above going out to 5th and main and flying my FPV from the public street corner if that is where this takes us. I'd rather not but it makes no sense why so much attention to the recreational drone hobby. Nothing worse than seeing a "no drones" sign that isn't a government sign. Reading all those AMA rules make me cringe. I change my CBO to FPV Freedom Coalition. ☺️

Reactions: MARK (LI)
I have noticed a lot of FRIA's recently here in Northwest Florida and also in South Carolina according to my Air Control app. but, many are on high school fields. It is a FRIA, but also on school property. I called the local law enforcement and waited and they got me in touch with an officer who was their drone guy. Very helpful, and once he found out I was part 107 certified , he was happy. While I was waiting for his call, i found another one within 5 miles on a lake and it turned out wonderful. The officer did say later when I returned his call, that even though the school ball field is a FRIA, there is a local airport that uses that for approach at times. When I informed him that my drones have Air Sense and it has worked every time on previous flights, he said it sounds like I have everything under control, and he was satisfied. Glad I got my part 107.
I was just curious as to whether others have found FRIA's at local high schools?

I have noticed a lot of FRIA's recently here in Northwest Florida and also in South Carolina according to my Air Control app. but, many are on high school fields. It is a FRIA, but also on school property. I called the local law enforcement and waited and they got me in touch with an officer who was their drone guy. Very helpful, and once he found out I was part 107 certified , he was happy. While I was waiting for his call, i found another one within 5 miles on a lake and it turned out wonderful. The officer did say later when I returned his call, that even though the school ball field is a FRIA, there is a local airport that uses that for approach at times. When I informed him that my drones have Air Sense and it has worked every time on previous flights, he said it sounds like I have everything under control, and he was satisfied. Glad I got my part 107.
I was just curious as to whether others have found FRIA's at local high schools?
I don't really have any interest in flying within a FRIA, all of my drones are equipment with either standard RID or a broadcast module. For what other reason is the FRIA of interest since you are generally able to go fly upon or over any public school field?

There are a lot of areas locally that are restricted for military and I was just scouting where I can fly. Sometimes I have to stop and get my settings correct, especially when practicing waypoint missions. Being over a high school, even though not OOP, and hovering ( checking settings) can appear to fall under stalking or peeping tom ordinances. I miss Arizona . So many open areas.

There are a lot of areas locally that are restricted for military and I was just scouting where I can fly. Sometimes I have to stop and get my settings correct, especially when practicing waypoint missions. Being over a high school, even though not OOP, and hovering ( checking settings) can appear to fall under stalking or peeping tom ordinances. I miss Arizona . So many open areas.
Yeah I agree, I find the public schools to be a good place during the summer when school is out when you just want to fly short range limited flights and check out things and don't want to attract alot of attention. Others have the same idea for various activities and I find if you confine to the fields and stay away from the building, nobody notices. Around here, when school is out (next month), the high schools really seems to be abandoned.

Reactions: Shuttersky597
Yeah I agree, I find the public schools to be a good place during the summer when school is out when you just want to fly short range limited flights and check out things and don't want to attract alot of attention. Others have the same idea for various activities and I find if you confine to the fields and stay away from the building, nobody notices. Around here, when school is out (next month), the high schools really seems to be abandoned.
I am getting used to the schools more. I noticed one redoing their field for the upcoming season. I sent a copy to the school. Trying to build a report'

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne