DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FRIA

yendor65

Reactions
So I was look at the air control app and spotted this a FRIA in the middle of a state park Which is a no fly zone ??IMG_3075.png

So I was look at the air control app and spotted this a FRIA in the middle of a state park Which is a no fly zone ??
As the app mentions, a FRIA is an area where drones can be flown even if they do not have remote ID capabilities. Typically associated with a model aircraft club and is more associated with fixed wing or even gas or turbine powered aircraft.

It is NOT a no fly zone but there might be certain rules or etiquette expected when flying there.

As the app mentions, a FRIA is an area where drones can be flown even if they do not have remote ID capabilities. Typically associated with a model aircraft club and is more associated with fixed wing or even gas or turbine powered aircraft.

It is NOT a no fly zone but there might be certain rules or etiquette expected when flying there.
It looks like they changed the rules about flying in a NYS park. You can get permission, so they are not a no fly zone.

FRIAs are, by definition, not a No Fly Zone. Outside the FRIA boundaries would certainly be, but not the area inside the FRIA.

Reactions: Torque
....Heckscher is a State Park and therefore a "No Drone" area...however, it does look like Suffolk Aero Modelers got it designated...they are an AMA club..... Suffolk Aero Modelers
....you would have to be a member of that club to fly there.....There is an AMA field in a County Park about 15 miles west of Heckscher, but they don't allow drones, so you should check before you get your hopes up

It has been very common to find R/C Flying fields in areas like this where other flights are restricted. We used to handle this with a LOA (Letter of Agreement) between the flying club and the controlling authority (FAA, State Park System etc).

As stated, the FRIA process allows the to fly freely (well not freely as they probably have strict geographical restrictions in place) within an area otherwise strongly restricted.

If you look at the screenshots you can see 2 different areas made FRIA’s. The area near the bay has been rc planes for a couple of years. The other was not. Tomorrow I might go to the park and ask some questions.

Reactions: BigAl07
I don't think you will find anyone there from the club and I don't think any of the Park employees have any idea...in the link I posted there is an email address for the club. I would contact them through that method and get the information you are looking for. Good luck, and please let us know what you find out.

Reactions: yendor65
I belong to an AMA/FRIA club within a state park here outside of Seattle. We've been flying fixed wing planes for decades there, and they tolerate drones as well now.

....Heckscher is a State Park and therefore a "No Drone" area...however, it does look like Suffolk Aero Modelers got it designated...they are an AMA club..... Suffolk Aero Modelers
....you would have to be a member of that club to fly there.....There is an AMA field in a County Park about 15 miles west of Heckscher, but they don't allow drones, so you should check before you get your hopes up
Incorrect Mark. It would NOT be compulsory to become a member to fly per FAA - however, one would have to use the local CBO's guidelines.

If you read the rules of the clubs that have access to these FRIAs they specifically say you must be an AMA member to be a member of their club
Here is the web site of one of them
1709236101440.png
And here is a picture of the entrance to the Park they reference
DSCN6669.JPG

If you read the rules of the clubs that have access to these FRIAs they specifically say you must be an AMA member to be a member of their club
View attachment 173052
View attachment 173053
The Drone ban is probably due to the fact the field is within a city park, and not due to any AMA rules.
This particular field is an AMA sanctioned flying field. And the AMA is the first CBO to be recognized by the FAA, but they are not the only CBO. The FPV Freedom Coalition and Flite Test Community Association are both FAA recongnized CBO's. I'm sure there will be more in the future.

It's not a City Park....it is a County Park......there is another FRIA out in Heckscher Park which is a State Park, and also at Bethpage State Park...all are controlled by clubs that require AMA membership and they ( the clubs) all do not allow drones...in general You can't fly in State Parks...except in these controlled areas of the parks

It's not a City Park....it is a County Park......there is another FRIA out in Heckscher Park which is a State Park, and also at Bethpage State Park...all are controlled by clubs that require AMA membership and they ( the clubs) all do not allow drones...in general You can't fly in State Parks...except in these controlled areas of the parks
Yes, I belong to an AMA club within a state park here, the Black Diamond Flyers. The flying club must follow both AMA and Park rules in these cases. And I believe the park has the final word.

I don't think everyone understands what a FRIA really is. It's not a safe haven island in an otherwise no fly area. A FRIA can be anywhere tfe FAA says one can be and their purpose is to provide an area where RID non-compliant UAs can be flown legally. It has no other purpose, and very clear rules.

Actually a FRIA is established in response to an application by an eligible party ...such as a CBO like the AMA...and around here on Long Island the perception is that the Clubs that exist mandate the AMA membership for the attendant insurance that these FRIAs within the New York State Parks locations require to obtain the $40 annual permit that you will need ...which is really a good move....but the obvious problem is that the AMA only advocates for other than drone flying recreational flyers...if you are only flying drones and not "model aircraft" ...you would get the benefit of the insurance ...if you want to have insurance......but not access to a place to fly

Actually a FRIA is established in response to an application by an eligible party ...such as a CBO like the AMA...and around here on Long Island the perception is that the Clubs that exist mandate the AMA membership for the attendant insurance that these FRIAs within the New York State Parks locations require to obtain the $40 annual permit that you will need ...which is really a good move....but the obvious problem is that the AMA only advocates for other than drone flying recreational flyers...if you are only flying drones and not "model aircraft" ...you would get the benefit of the insurance ...if you want to have insurance......but not access to a place to fly
Sigh...that is in your locale. I just posted about our local DRONE ONLY AMA Sanctioned (FRIA) flying club. No annual fees (yet) either.

All FRIAs have to be sponsered by an FAA recognized CBO.

View attachment 173052
View attachment 173053
Sign looks illegal. Not referencing any statue or ordinance. Check it out.

They only can govern TO and landing within the park if an ordinance from state/county/city is ratified.

Worth fighting.

• Sad
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas