DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Friend hits a helicopter tread at mid day. No reported event for all she knows.

And I've found many manned aircraft do not seem to transmit their location, so while monitoring ABS-B is better than nothing, it doesn't mean the app or a drone control station equipped to receive it can see the plane to warn you. I've found that many aircraft don't seem to show their location on the Flight Radar app.

There are a couple of things to bear in mind here.

Firstly - you are correct that not all aircraft have ADS-B out. In airspace relevant to sUAS operations it's only currently required in Class B, C and Mode C veil airspace. If it doesn't have ADS-B out then it will only appear on the radar apps if it is in range of a ground radar station.

Secondly, it may be transmitting but be out of range of both radars and ADS-B ground receiver stations, in which case it again won't appear on the radar apps. However, ADS-B in-equipped aircraft (including DJI equipment) will see it if it is within range.

There are a couple of things to bear in mind here.

Firstly - you are correct that not all aircraft have ADS-B out. In airspace relevant to sUAS operations it's only currently required in Class B, C and Mode C veil airspace. If it doesn't have ADS-B out then it will only appear on the radar apps if it is in range of a ground radar station.

Secondly, it may be transmitting but be out of range of both radars and ADS-B ground receiver stations, in which case it again won't appear on the radar apps. However, ADS-B in-equipped aircraft (including DJI equipment) will see it if it is within range.
I'm just going from what I've noticed using Flight Radar which despite its name thought was only ADS-B orientated... or is it a combo of different detection systems? I've seen planes fly by that are shown and at the same spot I'm flying, & others that do not even at the same altitude and heading. I really don't know much about ADS-B or how these app report locations of aircraft. A question though, will DJI's ADS-B notification show aircraft when apps like Flight Radar don't? Or does each app have their different limitations? I understand transmission distances can be a factor but asked a friend if his crop duster has ADS-B out and he said no & got the same answer from an ultra light flier. Both said they don't fly where it's required.

I'm just going from what I've noticed using Flight Radar which despite its name thought was only ADS-B orientated... or is it a combo of different detection systems? I've seen planes fly by that are shown and at the same spot I'm flying, & others that do not even at the same altitude and heading. I really don't know much about ADS-B or how these app report locations of aircraft. A question though, will DJI's ADS-B notification show aircraft when apps like Flight Radar don't? Or does each app have their different limitations? I understand transmission distances can be a factor but asked a friend if his crop duster has ADS-B out and he said no & got the same answer from an ultra light flier. Both said they don't fly where it's required.

Flight Radar (and all the other Apps) have "gaps" and "lags" depending on what ADSB Rx are in the area. Last year Flight Radar24 was noted at only showing (IIRC) 50% of the planes in a given area in the US. Also keep in mind that Military may not show at all (for obvious reasons).

Flight Radar is a great APP and is a "supplement" to good situational awareness but blindly relying on any App is a recipe for disaster. I consider Flight Radar an entertaining app but nothing more.

I'm just going from what I've noticed using Flight Radar which despite its name thought was only ADS-B orientated... or is it a combo of different detection systems?
It uses a combination of data feeds - in North America: ADS-B, MLAT and ATC radar.
I've seen planes fly by that are shown and at the same spot I'm flying, & others that do not even at the same altitude and heading. I really don't know much about ADS-B or how these app report locations of aircraft. A question though, will DJI's ADS-B notification show aircraft when apps like Flight Radar don't? Or does each app have their different limitations?
As I mentioned above, if the aircraft is broadcasting ADS-B out then DJI AirSense will see it regardless of whether it is being received by a ground station.
I understand transmission distances can be a factor but asked a friend if his crop duster has ADS-B out and he said no & got the same answer from an ultra light flier. Both said they don't fly where it's required.
That's quite possible.

Reactions: dronerdave