DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

frustrated new mavic 2 owner, will not link

Jorgeo65

Reactions
I just received my new mavic 2 zoom and I did all updates, but will not link, have tried dji support only to get a
unhelpful man who is hard to understand. I have to keep repeating my self over and over.
the 1st guy told me my phone is the problem {samsung S8} and will need to get a new phone, i told him thats ridicules, as there are plenty of others using this phone successfully, and I told him the controller on its own wont even connect, keeps saying [ check app, electrical interference. ] then i just get cut off.
I rang back only to get the same guy, and unbelievably he started asking me the same questions, by now I was getting very frustrated, I asked to speak to someone else, told him I would refresh firmware and call back.
after a while a supervisor rang me and I went over everything again, only to get the same result, will not link with or without my phone.
long story short he told me to take it back for a replacement, just my luck.
now I have to go and explain it all to where I purchased it, I asked him to call the store, which is a big store here in Australia [ Bing Lee ] and explain what has happened, but all he could do is give me his 1st name , asked for a reference number, said they don't do that.
now I am dreading going back to the store, this is really bad customer service. I am out $2000 and have spent hours trying to get this thing working, not a good introduction to DJI.
wish me luck and will let you know what happens, think I will just ask for a refund.

My buddy just had this same problem and it was a defective cable between the phone and the controller. Took hours before someone figured that out.

Have you tried a different cable (not the short one that came with the drone)

Just wondering, when connecting w/ RC and your phone are you using the bottom USB port on the RC? If so, did you disconnect the side cable? I knew you already said that even w/ out a phone that it won't connect.

yea, I tried everything, swapped cables, side cable disconnected when using bottom.
I have already returned it, and the store [ bing lee ] was great, said the new drone should arrive in a few days, but after reading reviews about how incompatible they are with samsung S8, I am thinking I should just get a refund. my $200 bugs 5w was easy, [spewing i sold it] no problems with android phones.
why such a big company like DJI are treating android users like second class citizens is beyond me.
and now I have just found out that my contents insurance will not cover my drone if I am using it when it crashes or gets lost, unbelievable! starting to think this is all to hard.

Last edited:
If it wouldn't connect without your phone then it wasn't your phone that was the issue .

Reactions: squashpile
Well I have seen here that be the case even with IOS but at any rate I'm glad you had no issues getting another on the way and hope you the best with it .

Reactions: Jorgeo65
I've had a similar problem with linking after an update using DJI2 assistant. I then went to the wifi/RC port and there is a small button that if pushed in will link the aircraft. It worked for me.

Had same problem with Samsung S 9 tried this morning with DJI assistant 2 for Mavic on my laptop and Bingo it updated.

I just received my new mavic 2 zoom and I did all updates, but will not link, have tried dji support only to get a
unhelpful man who is hard to understand. I have to keep repeating my self over and over.
the 1st guy told me my phone is the problem {samsung S8} and will need to get a new phone, i told him thats ridicules, as there are plenty of others using this phone successfully, and I told him the controller on its own wont even connect, keeps saying [ check app, electrical interference. ] then i just get cut off.
I rang back only to get the same guy, and unbelievably he started asking me the same questions, by now I was getting very frustrated, I asked to speak to someone else, told him I would refresh firmware and call back.
after a while a supervisor rang me and I went over everything again, only to get the same result, will not link with or without my phone.
now I have to go and explain it all to where I purchased it, I asked him to call the store, which is a big store here in Australia [ Bing Lee ] and explain what has happened, but all he could do is give me his 1st name , asked for a reference number, said they don't do that.
now I am dreading going back to the store, this is really bad customer service. I am out $2000 and have spent hours trying to get this thing working, not a good introduction to DJI.
wish me luck and will let you know what happens, think I will just ask for a refund.
Go to the dji. Com support page download and install the assist 2 program to your home computer or laptop. Plug USB cable into aircraft and computer start assist 2 install latest firmware. Use micro USB adapter to update controller.

Try reading the thread Roylee instead of the first post then replying .
It's a done deal and he has a new one coming .
Welcome to the forum .

Reactions: Roylee and Jorgeo65
If the RC wasn't connecting to the AC, RC would say 'connecting'. Instead it is telling you there's an issue with the AC and to look in the app for details. My suspicion is you had the arms folded or too close to metal. Concrete floors often have rebar in them.
App should show RC connected on the lower left if it connected even when the AC isn't connected yet. Some Samsungs can be problematic with DJI. For example the Galaxy Tab E 9.7"

My OPPO R15 Pro Android phone won't connect to the controller, my partners OPPO R9 will, she is now getting a new OPPO R 15 Pro (same as mine) and giving me her old one. When it arrive I will see if her new phone connects to the controller, if so, then mine will have to be returned under warranty. It seems as though the latest Android operating system may be the cause of the problem. DJI should check this.

I hope this will help someone with getting their Android phone working with the Mavic RC. My Samsung Galaxy S7 would not connect until I enabled and went into Developer Settings and changed the USB Port setting to "MIDI" - it is set to "Charge the phone" by default. You will need to reverse these settings again before the next time you need to charge the phone. Developer settings are hidden by default but there are instructions on the web on how to enable Developer settings on Samsung phones.

Also, turn off fast charging to prolong the battery life of the RC. Unlike with the Mavic 2, there is no setting on the Mavic Pro (DJ4 Go) that will stop the RC from acting as a phone charger. Turning off Fast Charging on the phone will at least slow down the draining of the RC battery.

M2 doesn't have means to disable charging for an Android either. Option is only available on iOS.

By the way, setting to MIDI shouldn't affect normal charging. Charging option is for charging ONLY.
DJI uses the USB in an unusual way so some Androids aren't sure what to do with it.

By the way, setting to MIDI shouldn't affect normal charging. Charging option is for charging ONLY.
DJI uses the USB in an unusual way so some Androids aren't sure what to do with it.

Unfortunately, with my S7, the phone won't charge if the USB Port option in Developer Settings is set to MIDI or anything else except Charge.

the conclusion to this story is DJI customer support staff are useless.
after receiving my replacement drone I noticed when setting it up, the controller was doing the same thing { elect inter, no link } but there was no way a second unit could be faulty, so I googled the problem and found a solution, all it needed was a compass calibration to fix the problem.
DJI should of picked this up straight away, it took me 10 minutes to figure it out and solve the problem, maybe DJI should give me a job, ha-ha.
Seriously, this should have been sorted out straight away, it would of saved me a lot of stress and anxiety,
I hope this helps new mav owners facing the same problems I had.
In the future, I would consult this forum or google, before ringing DJI when problems arise.
sorry this is in the wrong forum section, should be in mavic 2 not 1, it was my 1st post :oops:
thanks to all that tried to help.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000