DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FRUSTRATED! S7 Edge - Too much wasted time.

Have a dozen flights since my original post and rolling back DJI Go 4,ver 4.2.16 on my S7 Edge. I've had no issues and have elected to continue using the current firmware. // Realize Apple products seem to be supported well or better than Android devices. I'd like to keep my 'foot print' small and bringing another device along is not in keeping with a small footprint. I take the MP, controller, 1 battery, and my phone on bike outings. With 1 battery I can get plenty of photos, videos and keep everything very transportable. Adding a tablet or switching phones... not desirable. But if push comes to shove... it could be done.

Nice rant, but how do you explain how more than half of the users of these android devices have NO trouble with DJI Go 4.? We have to assume the devices are identical by model, we all get the same firmware and software, so it pretty much suggests that the users are doing something different. I realize that blaming software is the easy more popular option. But that doesn’t make sense for it to only affect SOME people.
Unfortunately, Samsung uses different chipsets in their flagship devices. Meaning my Galaxy S8 bought in America, is a different phone than one bought in Europe. In the US, and a few other markets, we get a Qualcomm chip, everyone else gets Samsung's in house Exynos chip. Which might explain the inconsistent results using the "same devices".

Reactions: tleonhar
Wait, so you say the Apple/DJI partnership was just to sell iPhones? Seriously? The partnership was an attempt t get DJI products into Apple Stores. That's pretty much it.
Naah, that's just some jibber jabber going around. Apple has a history of creating versions that make previous hardware problematic that would require upgrading or degrading the OS. Phones, computer products, and even third party devices. All too common and yes intentional. That is what turned more people to the A side or even the W side of things.

DJI has to make this right for A users, and I think it will happen. So many people have ordered Evo's in the meantime. In the midst of good news for Autel, the leaked MP2 images come.

These companies play games all the time.

In terms of Apple devices and the app, many Mini 4's are on the verge of not working for GO4 app. Lost of pissed off customers of DJI that were told "your device is not supported", went out and bought a Mini 4, and are having feed problems with it too. Their response? WTF DJI, and yes, some ordered an Evo, or Anafi, or even cheaper bird.

Unfortunately, Samsung uses different chipsets in their flagship devices. Meaning my Galaxy S8 bought in America, is a different phone than one bought in Europe. In the US, and a few other markets, we get a Qualcomm chip, everyone else gets Samsung's in house Exynos chip. Which might explain the inconsistent results using the "same devices".

What explains the devices rolling back and working again with an app version from 2 mos ago? Many of the so called unsupported devices work again on an older app version. Many of the devices are older, not getting Oreo updates of which is being blamed a ton... and again, the hardware variants make little sense either. These same devices work on older apps. GO4 became unusable with 4.2.20 and up

I'm with ya bro - I have my S7 edge and it's poorly supported. In fact at one point Dji removed it from their supported devices list.
I did in fact end up moving to Apple - justification was not losing a $1500 drone. I have an iPhone 6S+ and an iPad Mini 4 and they both work flawlessly. They even support OTG with the Spark which the S7 will not do and OTG started with Android!
OTG is officially supported for Android since 0600 Spark update of late. Tried it it worked fine.

MP still has some work to be done. DJI f'd up the code in the Android app. Plain and simple. Now they need to fix it.

The irony is that CrystalSky is based on Android. :p
That's not a selling point considering the issues folks have had with that.
Sideloading apps like Litchi wan't even possible in the beginning. Then think to yourself you're paying a premium price for an extra bright small Android tablet that can only run a select few apps.

That is strange. I am using an S7 (not edge, Android 8) on the latest Go4 and aircraft firmware and not having these problems... don't understand why it is different.
Well my S7 Edge was so unreliable that I decided splurging for an iPad Mini 4 was a superior option to losing my Mavic Pro.
I think the rants about Go 4 have merit in that my iPad mini ran flawlessly until recently - now I started getting the green screens and choked video with device disconnects.
The problem with finger pointing is with - who do you point it at?
Apple has certainly been updating iOS with reckless abandon for a while now.
Dji has been busy adding features to support the latest fads like small planet and then trying to prevent people from taking back control of their drones by adding anti-rollback and anti-hack hacks - and yes they are hacks since they are added on to what was functional code.
*something* has changed for the worse and poo-pooing the folks that are having issues isn't being fair at all.
I think the nay-sayers should instead be counting their blessings if they're not having issues.

(BTW - I had to roll Go 4 back from a backup and also the P4P firmware to get things back on an even keel - now they work flawlessly again).

Well my S7 Edge was so unreliable that I decided splurging for an iPad Mini 4 was a superior option to losing my Mavic Pro.
I think the rants about Go 4 have merit in that my iPad mini ran flawlessly until recently - now I started getting the green screens and choked video with device disconnects.
The problem with finger pointing is with - who do you point it at?
Apple has certainly been updating iOS with reckless abandon for a while now.
Dji has been busy adding features to support the latest fads like small planet and then trying to prevent people from taking back control of their drones by adding anti-rollback and anti-hack hacks - and yes they are hacks since they are added on to what was functional code.
*something* has changed for the worse and poo-pooing the folks that are having issues isn't being fair at all.
I think the nay-sayers should instead be counting their blessings if they're not having issues.

(BTW - I had to roll Go 4 back from a backup and also the P4P firmware to get things back on an even keel - now they work flawlessly again).
There was a post I read on DJI or their FB page or so that said some cool stuff. The guy says something like:

" We ALL need to get together and support the users in the house. This nit picking stupid crap about iOS vs Android does not bring about things DJI needs to address in apps or firmware. Android guys went to bat several times in the past for iOS guys after updates on devices or apps. When Android users are affected iOS guys are just saying join this team it's better. That lets DJI off the friggin hook. "

Why are not iOS users going to bat for Android users saying "WTF DJI come on fix this for them"

"Taking sides never unites or bring forth community as a whole. Everyone should be supporting everyone in this community"

one of the best posts I have seen because it is so true

I've only had my mavic pro platinum a few days, the mavic is on the latest firmware update and I have the latest DJI GO4 app, I do not get any problems during flight using my S7 edge, the only things I have noticed is, the controller battery sometimes drains down quickly which is due to power flowing into to the S7 edge battery, its strange it does not do this everytime, with my aging eyes the S7 edge especially in bright sunshine is very difficult to see if you get any warning messages pop up, and for that reason only I just reluctantly purchased a ipad mini 4 128gb wifi only version, I took it with me on a hike yesterday to try it out but unfortunetly I had left the lightening cable at home, so was forced to use my S7 edge again but this time it was in the early evening and bright sunshine was not causing a problem on the screen, as my Galaxy S7 edge is a europe version phone because I live in the UK, am I correct in thinking that people that are having problems using their S7 edge phones are located in the US or other parts of the world, this may explain why I dont have issues apart from those I have already stated, its likely the european version phones are different internally than US versions !

I've only had my mavic pro platinum a few days, the mavic is on the latest firmware update and I have the latest DJI GO4 app, I do not get any problems during flight using my S7 edge, the only things I have noticed is, the controller battery sometimes drains down quickly which is due to power flowing into to the S7 edge battery, its strange it does not do this everytime, with my aging eyes the S7 edge especially in bright sunshine is very difficult to see if you get any warning messages pop up, and for that reason only I just reluctantly purchased a ipad mini 4 128gb wifi only version, I took it with me on a hike yesterday to try it out but unfortunetly I had left the lightening cable at home, so was forced to use my S7 edge again but this time it was in the early evening and bright sunshine was not causing a problem on the screen, as my Galaxy S7 edge is a europe version phone because I live in the UK, am I correct in thinking that people that are having problems using their S7 edge phones are located in the US or other parts of the world, this may explain why I dont have issues apart from those I have already stated, its likely the european version phones are different internally than US versions !
Get a sun shield for the Mini4. It's not a very bright device. Really bad in the daytime without a shield. S7 is rated over 800 nits which is 2x brighter than the Mini4

Reactions: sparkorc
I’m going to try the iPad out today whilst it’s bright sunny day I intend standing under a tree for shade, downside is you have to keep the Mavic low beneath the canopy of branches & foliage to keep it in LOS, and thanks yes a sun shade will be on the list to purchase, I forgot how expensive this hobby can be!

I still say it is probably all about how the users have their device set up, what apps are loaded, what apps are running, free memory, cable quality, firmware mismatches...... Many other things.
It can not be entirely blamed on software because there are MANY that have NO problems. The software either works or it doesnt. It makes no sense to be 1/2 and 1/2

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78