DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FRUSTRATED! S7 Edge - Too much wasted time.

I fought this battle. I made significant improvements. Still, in the end, I bought Apple (used iphone 6, and ipad mini 4), and that made all the difference. Even my DJI crystalsky, which is android, doesn't work as well. It's much brighter, but performs less well.
I agree that you shouldn't have to buy apple.
However, if you want to have a good experience with your MP, then buy Apple. It's just the way it is.
Or ditch DJI and go with an Evo. Many are doing just that. Companies that lock in to Apple tend to fail. Digitech, Alesis, Mackie, and others had products that were primarily iOS, and the user community said f this. Those products disappeared fast. Apple is well renowned in the music community, but products that support one system tend to fail and fail hard. New competitors in products like audio mixers, digital guitar amp modelers that utilized apps for Android and iOS and did it right absolutely killed sales of other products. Digitech announced pedal products that even had the "i" in them and first thing asked was "will this work on Android" to which they said no, it's proprietary Apple. Guess what happened??? It tanked. Yamaha partnered with Apple on their newer line of E drums. Only way to get the app is iOS. It isn't selling well. Other products are set up for Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac. Those products are leading the sales by a wide margin.

People need to say to DJI, this is bullshii and I won't put up with it. Take their money elsewhere. Makes all the differences in the world. Apple exclusivity is not going to serve them well imo. It has not really for any company that has one primary app design spec.

DJI- get on it !! Fix the app for Android !! This is unacceptable that a product after updates has failed so badly.

Or ditch DJI and go with an Evo. Many are doing just that. Companies that lock in to Apple tend to fail. Digitech, Alesis, Mackie, and others had products that were primarily iOS, and the user community said f this. Those products disappeared fast. Apple is well renowned in the music community, but products that support one system tend to fail and fail hard. New competitors in products like audio mixers, digital guitar amp modelers that utilized apps for Android and iOS and did it right absolutely killed sales of other products. Digitech announced pedal products that even had the "i" in them and first thing asked was "will this work on Android" to which they said no, it's proprietary Apple. Guess what happened??? It tanked. Yamaha partnered with Apple on their newer line of E drums. Only way to get the app is iOS. It isn't selling well. Other products are set up for Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac. Those products are leading the sales by a wide margin.

People need to say to DJI, this is bullshii and I won't put up with it. Take their money elsewhere. Makes all the differences in the world. Apple exclusivity is not going to serve them well imo. It has not really for any company that has one primary app design spec.

DJI- get on it !! Fix the app for Android !! This is unacceptable that a product after updates has failed so badly.
Watch this video

Excellent resource! This video needs to be posted every time people start saying the dji app is bad!
I always try to Inject in these software problem threads that if you update ANYTHING update EVERYTHING. That is just a no brainer. OS, firmware and software are all relative.

Reactions: W2EJ
Watch this video
I've seen that several times.

It's total BS when you ask around. NOBODY creating apps codes for every device when they make an app, they code to the OS used. DJI does not have to code for 120 devices on Android. They need to code around the most current devices, and maybe account for 2-3 previous versions. Naturally they will change. As it is with this stupid Go4 App, even many guys like myself with Mini 4's that this dude recommended don't work as well with Go4 today!!

It's total nonsense, and reminds me of when the issues of Win and Adobe products, as well as Audio interfaces from 100 different mfg's had the Mac versions that ran well, and Win sucked azz. Well, eventually Windows designers and product developers said we can't lose that big of a market. Designers had to figure it out or lose. The music home recording market, home video studios are very prevalent today, and both Win and Mac are great options for those platforms. Some Win designs are better and cheaper.

All I hear are excuses. The video is good, but very dated in terms of what is available today. Most phones have 4-6G ram and cpu's well beyond the requirement of Go4. Some of them run fine on Go4, others do not.

The latest in "app disconnects" are brought to you by firmware 0400 which is also reloaded with anti hack stuff. That "stuff" has been creating more and more app shutdowns and aircraft disconnected freak outs on the MP than any other firmware issues. Rolling back to 300 or 200 and it doesn't occur near as often, still some do, but most people are not afraid to take it up.

More MP's have been lost in the last few months due to the crap firmware and crappy App. Some speculated that was after all the comparisons of Ocusync to Wifi which reduced the number of MA sales. Did DJI trash the MP on purpose? That was answered with the latest firmware which has rendered many Mavic Air's problematic, and not just with Android.

The video is good, and makes sense for those wondering why their $80 tablet does not work with Go4. NO reason devices like S7, S8 S9, H20, Tab S3, Pixel 2, and so many other products that beat the requirement of Go4 by at least 2x in required hardware would be failing.

If DJI wants to be 100% Apple, They need to be upfront with that. Excuses are unacceptable to most consumers. Buy a drone for $1000, have a device on the supported list or a device 3x as powerful than what is approved? Then they tell you Nah, sorry, your device is not to DJI spec? Well DJI can look forward to a ton of users saying "No thanks, I'll buy something else"

I have been a huge DJI fan, I use iOS and Android products because iOS shii does not work in too cold or too hot of weather. Android devices do. My entire time in SC filming was done on an S3 because a Mini 4 or my co partner with his Ipad Pro shut down within minutes of being in 90+ degree temps. S3 did all the work, max brightness screen (which is even brighter than the Ipad Pro FWIW) and we got the job done.

I've been seeing these app issues forever and DJI does not address them. Most people in the past were like OK I'll buy a Mini 4. And now those are having app issues as are other less capable iOS phones and people are saying "come on with it DJI !! fix this @#$%"

DJI needs to reduce the load demand of Go4. They need to create a Go4 for Mavic and Spark, and another for Phantom Inspire etc. Breaking those down into 2 apps will reduce the coding, the load, the potential that code on product may affect another.. and so on. They are a multi billion dollar company!

No excuses! Fix it or lose your customers to Autel or any other that services the product better.

Reactions: Mossiback
If DJI wants to be 100% Apple, They need to be upfront with that.
DJI is 'upfront' with that.

On the back of the box, it states Made for iPhone.
At least for the Mavic Pro box it states so, and since it's the same app...

Do yourself a favor, and buy a used ios device. It's a world of difference

It's total BS when you ask around. NOBODY creating apps codes for every device when they make an app, they code to the OS used. DJI does not have to code for 120 devices on Android. They need to code around the most current devices, and maybe account for 2-3 previous versions. Naturally they will change. As it is with this stupid Go4 App, even many guys like myself with Mini 4's that this dude recommended don't work as well with Go4 today!!

It's total nonsense, and reminds me of when the issues of Win and Adobe products, as well as Audio interfaces from 100 different mfg's had the Mac versions that ran well, and Win sucked azz. Well, eventually Windows designers and product developers said we can't lose that big of a market. Designers had to figure it out or lose. The music home recording market, home video studios are very prevalent today, and both Win and Mac are great options for those platforms. Some Win designs are better and cheaper.

All I hear are excuses. The video is good, but very dated in terms of what is available today. Most phones have 4-6G ram and cpu's well beyond the requirement of Go4. Some of them run fine on Go4, others do not.

The latest in "app disconnects" are brought to you by firmware 0400 which is also reloaded with anti hack stuff. That "stuff" has been creating more and more app shutdowns and aircraft disconnected freak outs on the MP than any other firmware issues. Rolling back to 300 or 200 and it doesn't occur near as often, still some do, but most people are not afraid to take it up.

More MP's have been lost in the last few months due to the crap firmware and crappy App. Some speculated that was after all the comparisons of Ocusync to Wifi which reduced the number of MA sales. Did DJI trash the MP on purpose? That was answered with the latest firmware which has rendered many Mavic Air's problematic, and not just with Android.

The video is good, and makes sense for those wondering why their $80 tablet does not work with Go4. NO reason devices like S7, S8 S9, H20, Tab S3, Pixel 2, and so many other products that beat the requirement of Go4 by at least 2x in required hardware would be failing.

If DJI wants to be 100% Apple, They need to be upfront with that. Excuses are unacceptable to most consumers. Buy a drone for $1000, have a device on the supported list or a device 3x as powerful than what is approved? Then they tell you Nah, sorry, your device is not to DJI spec? Well DJI can look forward to a ton of users saying "No thanks, I'll buy something else"

I have been a huge DJI fan, I use iOS and Android products because iOS shii does not work in too cold or too hot of weather. Android devices do. My entire time in SC filming was done on an S3 because a Mini 4 or my co partner with his Ipad Pro shut down within minutes of being in 90+ degree temps. S3 did all the work, max brightness screen (which is even brighter than the Ipad Pro FWIW) and we got the job done.

I've been seeing these app issues forever and DJI does not address them. Most people in the past were like OK I'll buy a Mini 4. And now those are having app issues as are other less capable iOS phones and people are saying "come on with it DJI !! fix this @#$%"

DJI needs to reduce the load demand of Go4. They need to create a Go4 for Mavic and Spark, and another for Phantom Inspire etc. Breaking those down into 2 apps will reduce the coding, the load, the potential that code on product may affect another.. and so on. They are a multi billion dollar company!

No excuses! Fix it or lose your customers to Autel or any other that services the product better.

Nope! It says optimized for iPhone 8, then lists compatibility with Android 4.4 and above

202043eu1jdbhrz8ukk8v5.jpg

Most of those devices do not work, yet are supported. LOL

That is what they are sending people that have faulty apps. That is not trying to fix the garbage they have. I already stated I have both Android and iOS products. Mine and other highly acclaimed Mini4's are having video problems.

Why is it when many take the app back to 4.2.14 or so, it works again. Did an added map fix eat up all that precious space? DJI customer service stinks in this regard.
My point was if they want everyone on iOS DROP Android. It's BS to buy a product with many that have devices on the "working list" and then be told to buy a iPad.
Sorry, but that is the ultimate in bulls*** business.

They only move on things when it affects iOS. Lets see what happens next. Till then, I know many in the Android line ready to take their $$$ to Autel. Autel must be loving this.
DJI has not done well with Android since the partnership of Apple. I am not surprised.

Reactions: RichieGG
Nice rant, but how do you explain how more than half of the users of these android devices have NO trouble with DJI Go 4.? We have to assume the devices are identical by model, we all get the same firmware and software, so it pretty much suggests that the users are doing something different. I realize that blaming software is the easy more popular option. But that doesn’t make sense for it to only affect SOME people.

That is strange. I am using an S7 (not edge, Android 8) on the latest Go4 and aircraft firmware and not having these problems... don't understand why it is different.

Nope! It says optimized for iPhone 8, then lists compatibility with Android 4.4 and above

202043eu1jdbhrz8ukk8v5.jpg

Most of those devices do not work, yet are supported. LOL

That is what they are sending people that have faulty apps. That is not trying to fix the garbage they have. I already stated I have both Android and iOS products. Mine and other highly acclaimed Mini4's are having video problems.

Why is it when many take the app back to 4.2.14 or so, it works again. Did an added map fix eat up all that precious space? DJI customer service stinks in this regard.
My point was if they want everyone on iOS DROP Android. It's BS to buy a product with many that have devices on the "working list" and then be told to buy a iPad.
Sorry, but that is the ultimate in bulls*** business.

They only move on things when it affects iOS. Lets see what happens next. Till then, I know many in the Android line ready to take their $$$ to Autel. Autel must be loving this.
DJI has not done well with Android since the partnership of Apple. I am not surprised.
I guess they change boxes as time passes. This is what my box shows Wrong picture, sorry

Attachments

• tumblr_nn8fh90BsB1uq2n6jo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_nn8fh90BsB1uq2n6jo1_500.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 17
  • MP box.JPG
    MP box.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 17
Got my mojo back. Lol.
Rolled back to DJI Go 4,ver 4.2.16 on my S7 Edge. Went out and had a completely successful test flight.
Found it interesting my Tab 2 is running ver 4.4.21 and has no issues.
I did not - roll back firmware upgrade.
Thanks to the members with 'positive' contribution to address this issue.
Yea! I am glad you got it working. Now turn off auto updating on your S7 so it will not change.

Nice rant, but how do you explain how more than half of the users of these android devices have NO trouble with DJI Go 4.? We have to assume the devices are identical by model, we all get the same firmware and software, so it pretty much suggests that the users are doing something different. I realize that blaming software is the easy more popular option. But that doesn’t make sense for it to only affect SOME people.
I've seen 3 guys in our drone club with S7's having the same app problems. They killed all background apps that they could. Devices tested had 2.3G memory available before GO4 was started. GO4 averages about 800M when it runs, but in some cases we saw the memory usage peak to as high as 1.45G in flight. That's a heavy *** resource sucking app.

Not every device will have the exact same problem, but many that have not had the pixelation issue instead get "aircraft disconnected" and the app locks up. They have to restart the RC and reopen the app. Frequent disconnects started with fw .0400.

DJI has soured the Mavic Pro mostly adding anti hack code from what others have said. That won't be removed, so people will have to deal with existing issues.

3 more flyers today ordered Autel Evo. That's 9 new Evo's I'll be seeing at our RC club. They are done with DJI.

I've flown my MP with an S7 Edge with zero issues for a year. Just upgraded to a Note 8 this month and still no issues

Reactions: Falcon1az
3 more flyers today ordered Autel Evo. That's 9 new Evo's I'll be seeing at our RC club. They are done with DJI.

Too bad they jumped so quick. Probably witout doing any research.
I dont own Autel, but after all the people here talking them up over DJI, I visited their Forums.
Guess what, there are just as many Firmware problem threads, android problem threads, and flyaway threads.

What do you think @Aran is doing with his s7 edge that your friends are not? If they cant figure out how to have a good experience with DJI and their equipment, Autel isnt going to be their savior..

Well... I didn't think I'd have to invest in Apple products to have a reliable experience with the Mavic Pro. I bought the Mavic Pro based on assurances from DJI my S7 Edge would be supported. This has NOT been the case. Maybe I should say the S7 Edge is supported... POORLY supported.
I'm with ya bro - I have my S7 edge and it's poorly supported. In fact at one point Dji removed it from their supported devices list.
I did in fact end up moving to Apple - justification was not losing a $1500 drone. I have an iPhone 6S+ and an iPad Mini 4 and they both work flawlessly. They even support OTG with the Spark which the S7 will not do and OTG started with Android!

Not just your device, but many devices are having issues. Many mfg's, many model no's, and that has been including iOS products of late. Go4 App is trash. DJI has screwed it up badly trying to add preventions, hack preventions, editor that not a ton of people even use. That app is a monster and eats a boatload of resources.

DJI is partnered with Apple. They want to get as many Apple products sold, so totally f'ing up the Android experience was the next step. I certainly hope this method of business bites DJI in the azz.

DJI is a multi billion dollar company as is the owner. They can certainly afford to buy a few top end Android devices to do their testing. Look at the list of recommended tablets? 705c? LO fn L.
For over a year now, many Android users have done very well with budget Android tablets. That will not suffice the Apple logic. The company that ruins devices for it's own loyal customers by creation of new iOS updates that render products unusable is now lock step with DJI. Surprised? not many are either. This is where much of the "I'm not buying a **** iOS product just to run a drone" comes from.

If you recently bought a Mavic Pro or Air, return it. Buy an Autel Evo. Their support so far is second to none. DJI focus is not where it needs to be. They really lack in customer support. Call or email them about the device issue, they send you a list of their recommended devices, iOS first, and some Android products that have probably not been tested in more than 2 years.

I even asked the support person "have you guys even flown these yet to see the problems?" and he said engineers test in their lab. I said "no, they work fine if static, get them in the air and then the video feed issues start going crazy or it gets disconnected completely during the flight"
Wait, so you say the Apple/DJI partnership was just to sell iPhones? Seriously? The partnership was an attempt t get DJI products into Apple Stores. That's pretty much it.

So frustrated. I'm venting.

Spent all morning screwing with software flaws in DJI Go 4 (this is yet another morning of several).

Instead of going out and trying to get a few great photos... a great clip of video... I'm screwing with software flaws. Morning wasted - PP experience!
Thanks for nothing DJI!

This app is reliably... reliably the worst performing software on my desktop. The award for the worst performing software, and nothing is a close 2nd, is DJI Go 4.

Looked for answers on Youtube tonight. Someone posted this for the S7 Edge, change the minimum witdth to 490. Anyone see this -

So tomorrow morning... I roll back and re-install ver 4.2.16 and do the same with the firmware... .200.

Glad this forum is here and appreciate members sharing.

As for DJI... I WILL NOT recommend anyone going down this road. I will discourage everyone I talk to from getting into this involving DJI. While its possible to get some great video, photos... it is one helluva climb to punch through all the chronic ISSUES!
I feel your pain!
There are no cheap Android options available in Australia to use as a dedicated screen and the GO-4 app is not able to run bug free on a device that has any other apps on it. I'm runing 4.1.15 on my Sony Experia with some glitches . If I upgrade beyond that, I'm unable to fly at all with screen locking and pixellation.
I only discovered the limited DJI supported device list AFTER buying my MP.
It's been a very annoying ownership experience.
I do not wish to spend hindered more on an I-device just to fly as i have other more expensive hobbies to use my money on.
Just, wish, they'd, fix, the app!

I'm using a Note 8 with no problems at all. I wonder if those having problems with Samsung products may have an other app that is interfering? A quick way to test this would be to use the stop all apps before launching the DJI Go 4. If this helps, then try killing individual apps to try to hone in on one. But like I said, I'm having no problems, just throwing this out for what it's worth.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest