DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

full sd card

Justin586

Reactions
happy new year chaps!

flying today and it told me the sd card was full

I deleted a bunch of vids via the app - actually in the end I deleted the cache as well... still says sd card full...

is it only possible to clear the sd card by connecting the drone to the computer?? surely an do it via the app?

missed one of the best shots from holiday in the Gili islands but last day tomorrow so will try and figure out how to clear the sd card.
I don't have my PC here so if I can't delete via the app I'm buggered!

cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

If I'm understanding you correctly, I think the videos you are deleting via the app are actually on your device.... you need to take the SD card out and wipe it clean on your computer.... or format the SD card via the app which will also wipe it clean.

It might also mean your video cache on your device is full, you can put the setting on the app to auto clear the cache when it reaches (settable amount) GB size.

Reactions: rcheli9
If I'm understanding you correctly, I think the videos you are deleting via the app are actually on your device.... you need to take the SD card out and wipe it clean on your computer.... or format the SD card via the app which will also wipe it clean.

It might also mean your video cache on your device is full, you can put the setting on the app to auto clear the cache when it reaches (settable amount) GB size.

thanks for the reply bud; so it can't be done through the app then; that's a slight pain, oh well!
cheers!

He said he doesn't have a computer, so likely hasn't copied the footage he took so far and I doubt he'd like to wipe his entire vacation footage..

But you can also delete individual clips, I've done it in flight myself. You need to go in the camera's "play" menu, not in the app's editor.

Reactions: twindc23
still figuring this out, indeed, I do not want to wipe all the footage of course!!!
borrowed a pc at the hotel, think we fixed it.

bonus question....
1) the remote control battery started freaking out at 13 percent... beeping really loudly, any way to turn that off at all....??? totally unnecessary when it has like 15 mins battery left!

No. You simply shouldn't go that low, percentage gauges are never perfect so you can't know exactly how long is left at this point.

The remote also has a LiPo in it. I would not go below 20-30% or you may find the life of the battery degrades very quickly.

appreciate that, I thought it was a good idea to discharge the battery fully every so often!

will keep it higher, cheers

To the OP's original comments.....I also deleted the pics and vids from my SD card after downloading them to my I-Mac and later flew it and it said the card was full after 15 seconds of video. It appears that there a lot of hidden files that don't show up on the Mac but if you look at the SD card on a windows computer you will see a lot more stuff on the card to include a trash/deleted items folder. So the only way to easily get rid of everything is to reformat the card (if using a Mac).

^^^ that's probably what it is. Had the same 'SD Card Full' issue until figured out that for whatever reason the videos I had deleted ended up in the trash folder of the card which is set as hidden. So connected to laptop, chose 'show hidden files' and then on the SD card it's some random folder like '501' or '~trashes'

Same with a USB. If you've deleted something from it on the laptop and then put it into a Smart TV, it'll show up as normal :eek:Risky!

On the Mac when you put files in the trash on a memory card they just get moved to a trash folder, they aren't actually deleted. You need to remember to empty the trash before ejecting the card for them to be.
On Windows there is no trash for removeable devices so the stuff gets deleted straight, which obviously can be both an advantage and a drawback depending on how you look at it.

Reactions: halley
I thought it was a good idea to discharge the battery fully every so often

Lithium-based batteries do not have a "memory effect" like older chemistries. See other threads about battery details, but in short:
  • 100% full is 4.2V per cell, 0% dead is 3.0V per cell
  • don't run them too low, like below 3.4V per cell , or it will never recharge
    • (the Mavic flight battery circuits protect against this but not sure about the controller)
  • any time a cell goes above 4.3V it is at risk of a self-combustion chemical fire reaction
    • (the Mavic flight battery and controller circuits both protect against this)
  • mild warmth and/or slight puffing of the soft pouches after heavy use is normal
    • (you don't really get to see this with the DJI battery cartridge designs)
  • don't use a battery with visible signs of damage, such as non-trivial denting, rips, cracks or significant puffing
  • don't leave them 100% full when moving in and out of hot environments or cold environments
    • (the voltage will fluctuate with temperature and adds to the fire risk)
  • don't leave them 100% full (4.2V per cell) if you don't plan to use them, adds fire risk
    • (the Mavic flight battery circuits will self-drain to a medium load after a few days)
  • no matter how well you treat them, lithium chemistry degrades over time and will lose its ability to charge after about 3-5 years
It's probably the last point there that gives people the impression they should discharge every so often. Storage or transport is best at 50%-80% capacity. New products are usually half-charged for this reason.

Reactions: McMavic
Insert SD card to your phone or use card reader and connect to your phone. Easy.

Insert SD card to your phone or use card reader and connect to your phone. Easy.

That's what I do. A small lightning to SD dongle, a micro SD to SD adapter and away you go. I wonder if that's deleting everything from the 'trash file' as stated above though?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian