DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fun fact about The State Farm policy

BigRey

Reactions
If you have a part 107 license and you registered your drone like your s’posed ta.
That coverage is null and void

I have State Farm auto insurance. Can you please amplify on that statement??

Thanks much.

I assume you're talking about a personal articles policy? If that's the case, it's limited to coverage of personal property not used for business purposes. If your agent told you otherwise, they misled you.

The personal Articles policy which is a great policy and I am by no means attempting to disparage State Farm however many people fail to realize that the part 107 is a commercial pilots license and when you register your drone it is now registered as a commercial vehicle it is no longer a personal Article if your drone is only covered under section 336 then you’re fine I had a friend who ran into this was rather upset, but even I said dude it’s not personal it’s commercial two completely different things

Last edited:
I assume you're talking about a personal articles policy? If that's the case, it's limited to coverage of personal property not used for business purposes. If your agent told you otherwise, they misled you.

I had no problem but you’d be amazed how many people seem to not realize that .
You are completely correct I just figured there may be a few people unaware of this so I threw up a post

Reactions: Rambler22
That's good to know. I guess if I get a Part 107, I would have to insure the drone separately from the car?

Reactions: BigRey
I just got a State Farm Business policy yesterday. It made sense for me to do that because I have a lot of camera equipment and a small home studio that is covered under it as well. I believe I’m paying the minimum policy which is $325/year with a $100 deductible. This covers me for just about anything and not just crash damage and drone replacement. I would be covered in case anyone gets injured or I damage property, for example.

Also, let's say I have 3 drones in my car. All three are registered with the FAA (336), plus I have a Part 107. I only use one of the drones for commercial purposes, and I fly the other 2 for personal enjoyment. What would I need in order to delineate the commercial drone from the 2 recreational drones? A specific mention or listing with State Farm?

I just got a State Farm Business policy yesterday. It made sense for me to do that because I have a lot of camera equipment and a small home studio that is covered under it as well. I believe I’m paying the minimum policy which is $325/year with a $100 deductible. This covers me for just about anything and not just crash damage and drone replacement. I would be covered in case anyone gets injured or I damage property, for example.
Thanks much. That answers my questions.

Also, let's say I have 3 drones in my car. All three are registered with the FAA (336), plus I have a Part 107. I only use one of the drones for commercial purposes, and I fly the other 2 for personal enjoyment. What would I need in order to delineate the commercial drone from the 2 recreational drones? A specific mention or listing with State Farm?

Technically when you register under 336 that number can go on all of your drones (see previous topic I posted )
However under 107 they are each individually registered most likely State Farm will not accept the Third drone which is dual registered as personal use
You are required to label your drones with your FAA number and as I said all of your personal drones can have that same number

The personal Articles policy which is a great policy and I am by no means attending to disparage State Farm however many people fail to realize that the part 107 is a commercial pilots license and when you register your drone it is now registered as a commercial vehicle it is no longer a personal Article if your drone is only covered under section 336 then you’re fine I had a friend who ran into this was rather upset, but even I said dude it’s not personal it’s commercial two completely different things

What about if you have your drone registered as both under part 107 and 336, not every time a person flies is it under part 107, sometimes its just for fun and could be considered under 336?

be interested to find out

What about if you have your drone registered as both under part 107 and 336, not every time a person flies is it under part 107, sometimes its just for fun and could be considered under 336?

be interested to find out

Once the drone is registered 107 its commercial as far as insurance purposes go .
It’s not covered as it is no longer a personal property .
If you had a commercial vehicle and used it personally it’s still a commercial vehicle

I have no direct knowledge about this, but I'm wondering if that is correct: i.e., once registered, it can't be for considered hobby use. You have one car, and use it part time for personal, part time for work. You keep track of your miles. Dual purpose. My understand has been (and again, I have no direct knowledge of this), if the aircraft is being used for personal use, it should be covered. If you're out on a job, it's not. But, of course insurance companies try every trick in the book to avoid coverage. I'd like to see something in writing on a policy, if someone has that.

Suggest you speak with your insurance agent. I personally would not make assumptions in regarding my insurance and not consider something said in a forum as fact. Trying to save a few dollars could easily turn into insurance fraud, not good. Just my opinion.

I have no direct knowledge about this, but I'm wondering if that is correct: i.e., once registered, it can't be for considered hobby use. You have one car, and use it part time for personal, part time for work. You keep track of your miles. Dual purpose. My understand has been (and again, I have no direct knowledge of this), if the aircraft is being used for personal use, it should be covered. If you're out on a job, it's not. But, of course insurance companies try every trick in the book to avoid coverage. I'd like to see something in writing on a policy, if someone has that.
Once registered it’s not a personal article
It’s a registered commercial craft
You may “get away” with making claim but the reality is it would be insurance fraud if they were to dig into the claim.
Drones are a great hobby just like flying a plane
However if you run a commercial airplane charter and fly your plane for fun you can’t claim it under your homeowners coverage .
Funny is when I posted this originally I thought
This would be common sense because the part 107 is not a hobbyist license .

Suggest you speak with your insurance agent. I personally would not make assumptions in regarding my insurance and not consider something said in a forum as fact. Trying to save a few dollars could easily turn into insurance fraud, not good. Just my opinion.

You’re right of course to ask your agent but make sure you explain the Drone is registered as commercial.
For instance if you run a graphic design business from your home and you have a computer designated for that it will not be covered under personal article.
I spent 10 years in financial advising and insurance prior to my current role still in Finance but now on the Anti Money Laundering side particularly Counter Terrorism Financing so I do have a background (not that anyone questioned it) .

You’re right of course to ask your agent but make sure you explain the Drone is registered as commercial.
For instance if you run a graphic design business from your home and you have a computer designated for that it will not be covered under personal article.
I spent 10 years in financial advising and insurance prior to my current role still in Finance but now on the Anti Money Laundering side particularly Counter Terrorism Financing so I do have a background (not that anyone questioned it) .
Not questioning anything you’ve said at all, in fact I agree with you. It is common sense, I just want to emphasize the importance of setting down and talking with your agent, getting proper coverage and not trying to scam the system.

Not questioning anything you’ve said at all, in fact I agree with you. It is common sense, I just want to emphasize the importance of setting down and talking with your agent, getting proper coverage and not trying to scam the system.

1000% agree with you
Similar to you I wanted to emphasize that whoever calls their agent makes sure to say it’s Commercially registered
Funny how many of us think it’s pretty simple
Personal vs Commercial in any event
Drone on ...

Hobby flier just started last year. Registered the drone with FAA for $5, did not know the difference between 107 and 336 at the time. Turns out I registered it under 107. Now I want to insure the drone. I have no issue registering it under 336 but my question is will my previous 107 registration, which i am assuming i cannot cancel, screw me up on this?

Hobby flier just started last year. Registered the drone with FAA for $5, did not know the difference between 107 and 336 at the time. Turns out I registered it under 107. Now I want to insure the drone. I have no issue registering it under 336 but my question is will my previous 107 registration, which i am assuming i cannot cancel, screw me up on this?

Well while I assume you’re somewhat up a creek I think the lack of a 107 license precludes you from using it commercially

Reactions: tleedom
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerry from ok