DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fun fact about The State Farm policy

I have no direct knowledge about this, but I'm wondering if that is correct: i.e., once registered, it can't be for considered hobby use. You have one car, and use it part time for personal, part time for work. You keep track of your miles. Dual purpose. My understand has been (and again, I have no direct knowledge of this), if the aircraft is being used for personal use, it should be covered. If you're out on a job, it's not. But, of course insurance companies try every trick in the book to avoid coverage. I'd like to see something in writing on a policy, if someone has that.
I believe this scenario is similar to the case in San Francisco, where an Uber driver killed someone with his car while waiting for a ride. Uber has a master policy that they claim covers their driver while the driver is providing ride, but does not while the driver is live on their system waiting for a passenger. Uber fought the claim from the driver and the family of the victim tooth and nail not to pay the family reparations. I think that one is still in litagation. My guess is State Farm claims adjusters will want to see the wreckage and search the FAA database to look for serial numbers and how they’re registered. I’m no lawyer and I don’t play one on TV.

Reactions: BigRey
I believe this scenario is similar to the case in San Francisco, where an Uber driver killed someone with his car while waiting for a ride. Uber has a master policy that they claim covers their driver while the driver is providing ride, but does not while the driver is live on their system waiting for a passenger. Uber fought the claim from the driver and the family of the victim tooth and nail not to pay the family reparations. I think that one is still in litagation. My guess is State Farm claims adjusters will want to see the wreckage and search the FAA database to look for serial numbers and how they’re registered. I’m no lawyer and I don’t play one on TV.

But did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night ?

Listen it may be a simple process but ultimately I just wanted everyone to be informed

This varies by insurance company and potentially by policy. I am a part-time pro photog. Insurance payout (AON) is based on the prevailing use at the time of damage. If a camera is stolen while I'm on vacation and not doing any paid work then it is covered under my personal policy. If it is stolen from my studio where I do pro shoots then it is covered under my commercial policy. Vehicle use is similar, if I'm using it for a commercial shoot then commercial policy covers it and if I'm driving to dinner with my wife then it's covered under personal.

This is important because 90% of my commercial photography is fashion in my studio which is a much lower rate (gear, vehicles and general liability) than if less was studio and more was location. If I begin doing a lot more location work then I have to notify my insurance company (and pay higher rates) lest I find myself not covered for operating outside of the limits of the policy.

I'm told drones are the same - the prevailing use at the time of damage.

The personal Articles policy which is a great policy and I am by no means attempting to disparage State Farm however many people fail to realize that the part 107 is a commercial pilots license and when you register your drone it is now registered as a commercial vehicle it is no longer a personal Article if your drone is only covered under section 336 then you’re fine I had a friend who ran into this was rather upset, but even I said dude it’s not personal it’s commercial two completely different things

New guy here, but I was under the impression that before each flight you are to make a decision, either it’s a 107 flight or a private (not for commercia) flight.

Also, let's say I have 3 drones in my car. All three are registered with the FAA (336), plus I have a Part 107. I only use one of the drones for commercial purposes, and I fly the other 2 for personal enjoyment. What would I need in order to delineate the commercial drone from the 2 recreational drones? A specific mention or listing with State Farm?
It is my understanding of the FAA Regs that the drone being used commercially must be registered as a Part 107 Commercial use drome.

New guy here, but I was under the impression that before each flight you are to make a decision, either it’s a 107 flight or a private (not for commercia) flight.

Once you register your drone under part 107 you registered It commercially the fact of the matter remains even if you have a 336 number on there you’re still flying commercial drone I was actually told by a State Farm agent recently I asked while I was down in Florida that quite frankly they drop your coverage the minute you become licensed . The reality is make sure you discuss this with any agent make sure you read whatever paperwork you’re given and simply understand that drones are so new it’s going to be a great area for a while and if the expense this cost you err on the side of caution

Reactions: davemgood
I completely disagree! I have my drones covered through State Farm, they are registered and I am part 107 certified. I have had 3 claims which all of them were paid for with NO PROBLEMS! If you are flying a job or doing a commercial shoot and crash your drone, then NO...it is not covered, but if you are out just flying around personally taking some pics etc and crash...YOU ARE COVERED! Don't know who your agent is but you might want to get another one!

Reactions: davemgood
I'm in the same boat. Part 107 and all that. I'm of the opinion that IF the flight is under 107, then the drone is not covered. However, if THE flight is 336, then it would be. That said, I think most opinions in this post are just that...opinions. Can anyone point to specific verbiage in the SF policy where this is clarified?

The particularly interesting point is that once you register under part 107 it’s a commercial registration .
So really it’s not a personal article so ADD ALL THE CAPS YOU WANT it doesn’t change that fact

The particularly interesting point is that once you register under part 107 it’s a commercial registration .
So really it’s not a personal article so ADD ALL THE CAPS YOU WANT it doesn’t change that fact
That doesnt make sense. If I use my car to drive for Uber, it doesnt cease to be MY personal property. I'm not saying you may not have a point...but I'm just not sure that you're 100% correct. That's why I was asking for a reference.

I'm in the same boat. Part 107 and all that. I'm of the opinion that IF the flight is under 107, then the drone is not covered. However, if THE flight is 336, then it would be. That said, I think most opinions in this post are just that...opinions. Can anyone point to specific verbiage in the SF policy where this is clarified?

at the end of the day it’s a heads up
As stated you are registering the drone commercially under part 107 it is no longer a hobby and while most agents may not even care apparently a few of them do and being that my drone wasn’t $10 bucks I’d rather err on the side of caution.
I posted as a heads up not to start an argument
Personal articles are not commercial
So everyone be careful you aren’t committing insurance fraud getting away with it doesn’t make it right

That doesnt make sense. If I use my car to drive for Uber, it doesnt cease to be MY personal property. I'm not saying you may not have a point...but I'm just not sure that you're 100% correct. That's why I was asking for a reference.

But you do need commercial insurance
Because you are now using your car for hire
Call your insurance company ask if using the car for hire changes coverage
Also do your taxes write off your miles and see if they ask if you used it for hire .
Driving to meetings and deducting mileage way different than racking up miles as a for hire driver where the compensation takes into account the mileage

But you do need commercial insurance
Yes, and the 2 times I used my drone for commercial work, I bought a Skywatch policy. And yes, I know that doesnt cover the drone, but it would cover me for liability. I self-insure for the drone when I do commercial work as it's not cost-effective otherwise.

Yes, and the 2 times I used my drone for commercial work, I bought a Skywatch policy. And yes, I know that doesnt cover the drone, but it would cover me for liability. I self-insure for the drone when I do commercial work as it's not cost-effective otherwise.

I clarified I was referring to the Uber scenario

Also, let's say I have 3 drones in my car. All three are registered with the FAA (336), plus I have a Part 107. I only use one of the drones for commercial purposes, and I fly the other 2 for personal enjoyment. What would I need in order to delineate the commercial drone from the 2 recreational drones? A specific mention or listing with State Farm?

When I checked with State Farm. I explained that I have 5 drones, 3 used for 107 and 2 for Hobby. They simply asked for the serial numbers on those for Hobby and those were the ones covered under the policy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne