DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Future D-Log mode in h264 MP2pro ??

albertoo85

Reactions
hello friends,

I wanted to know if any of you know if they would put this option that seems to me as logical as possible, since we will not always want to record in h265.
When we want to record in h264, we can not get the most out of the D-Log profile

You think you can put this option in future updates

best regards

hello friends,

I wanted to know if any of you know if they would put this option that seems to me as logical as possible, since we will not always want to record in h265.
When we want to record in h264, we can not get the most out of the D-Log profile

You think you can put this option in future updates

best regards

Why would you want to shoot in h.264? For a Log color profile it will need to be edited and rendered anyway so I don’t see any instance where shooting log in h.264 would be beneficial

I doubt it. The reason is DLOG is like raw uncompressed video and H.264 compression is WEAK by comparison to H.265 by a power of 4

So if you do the math you would have > 4GB files of H.264 for every minute of DLOG 4K video

What is H.265, and Why Is It Better than H.264? - Make Tech Easier

This is a contradictory statement. H.265 is MORE compressed than H.264 but it offers BETTER compression meaning you won’t notice the difference. From the article you referenced “H.265 offers massively improved compression over H.264. The newer codec can achieve nearly double the compression of its predecessor.”

The Mavic shoots at 100 mbps in h.264 or h.265 so 1 minute video is the same size in h.264 as h.265. The difference is the bit depth and visual quality of compression.

The only thing that’s similar about uncompressed video to HVEC is the ability to record a higher bit depth than h.264. The Mavic Pro 2 records U4K 30FPS 10-bit D-Log at 100mbps where as the Inspire 2 with a x5s shoots 12-bit U4K in cinema DNG (as close to uncompressed as it gets but still compressed) at 2.1 Gbps.

While you are on the right track that HVEC is better quality and more efficient than h.264 I think there’s still a lot of confusion about the mechanics of what it is how it works.

H.264 allows for only 16 x 16 pixel macroblocks which are too small to be truly efficient in higher-resolution video. H.265 provides for 64 x 64 pixel macroblocks (now called coding tree units or CTUs), allowing for greater encoding efficiency at all resolutions.

Is what I am referring to

Is what I am referring to

Right it has more compression but the way that it compresses is visually better. Uncompressed video doesn’t use macroblocks at all because each and every RGB channel of every pixel of every frame is recorded and is independent of every other pixel in every frame.

Well however you would like to look at it, to answer the OP question. I doubt you will see H.264 DLOG as an option... ever.

Reactions: brett8883
If you want 10bit video, H265 is what enables you to get it while maintaining a very workable 100mbps bitrate - H265 compression is much more efficient. Also if you want, you can just convert all your H265 video to H264 as soon as you get home in a free program like Handbrake. Viewing H265 video can be an issue as hardware/codec support is not as widespread, so for most applications your output would still be H264 for viewing/sharing.

What I would like to see DJI add is a D-Cinelike profile, which is the happy medium for people not wanting to go down the 10bit/H265 road. I imagine this would be incredibly easy for them to do as well.

If you want 10bit video, H265 is what enables you to get it while maintaining a very workable 100mbps bitrate - H265 compression is much more efficient. Also if you want, you can just convert all your H265 video to H264 as soon as you get home in a free program like Handbrake. Viewing H265 video can be an issue as hardware/codec support is not as widespread, so for most applications your output would still be H264 for viewing/sharing.

What I would like to see DJI add is a D-Cinelike profile, which is the happy medium for people not wanting to go down the 10bit/H265 road. I imagine this would be incredibly easy for them to do as well.

They don’t have D-cinelike?? I didn’t realize that.

Super easy since the 1st Mavic had D-Cinelike

They don’t have D-cinelike?? I didn’t realize that.

They do not, unfortunately. It's either the "normal" shooting modes, or right into DLog-M. If D-Cinelike was an option I'd use that for my less important video because it's super quick to edit and still gives you a bit more leeway.

Super easy since the 1st Mavic had D-Cinelike

The Air has it too, though that is the furthest you can go with the Air (it has no D-Log).

Ok, here's the deal.....

Hype tells us that HEVC is twice as effecient as H.264. That's bull. Some experts say it's only 50% as effecient while many more experts say its really 30-50%. With it being stronger in low bit rates but losing effiency the higher and higher you go.

Adding 10bit color increases the color depth 40 times over 8 bit. Adding 4:2:2 DOUBLES your chroma resolution. This is a WAY "heavier" load on compression.

The point is...going from 4:2:0 8bit to 4:2:2 10bit is a HUGE data overhead increase....and DJI is trying to cover this increase by relying on HEVC's 30-50% improved effiency????

Thats a loooong stretch!

Just fly in a standard rec709 profile with your contrast pulled all the way in. You will see that doing that will still capture almost all the highlight and shadows the sensor can see and you wont have to record in HEVC to get it.

CT

I may be way off base here but I'm thinking that perhaps Albertoo was hoping for H.264 Log format because he thought it might be less taxing on his confuser during editing. Cliff cleared the air with the fact that 10-bit requires HEVC simply because of the huge amount of data. I suppose we all want our cake and to be able to eat it as well but these days with the rapid movement of technology, some parts of the equation can't keep up and in this case, that is certainly true. We all wanted a drone with a SUPER camera but when we got one, many of us discovered that our editing hardware wasn't up to the task.

Hi,

The reasons I think are obvious, use h265 with dlog for something more professional.

But being able to use h264 for personal things in a quality color profile (raw) like dlog or cinelike and not necessarily a normal profile.

Regards

Hi,

The reasons I think are obvious, use h265 with dlog for something more professional.

But being able to use h264 for personal things in a quality color profile (raw) like dlog or cinelike and not necessarily a normal profile.

Regards

When you say "raw like dlog or cinelike" what fo you mean? I'm confused by the "raw" part.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada