DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FW Update .800 Things to know from testing

Did i few minutes flight just now..

all seems fine..

except one..

I encountered the same thing when I first upgraded to .700.
My fixed wing mode won't activate..

other than this and the digital zoom, it seems fine..

all seems fine..

except one..

Are you flying max altitude when activating it. If so, lower your altitude 10 m.

all seems fine..

except one..

Did you check that it's enabled in the settings? A few of my settings changed (exp & multi-flight)

Posted elsewhere but...

I'm trying to think of a better analogy of how I think the new Firmware/App/SDK system works as it appears to confise so many of us.

By default, when the Mavic powers up- it is "locked".(restricted)

When you connect your device (phone/tablet) via the internet using Go4 (or the newest API) to your DJI account - you download a "Key" to your device. This key stays on you device.(unless you deliberately delete it by clicking on log out)

When the Mavic connects to your device either via Go4 or the API - this key "unlocks" the drone. The drone stays unlocked until it powers down.

Power it back up again and the key is still on the device to unlock it when you re-connect (no internet needed)

This analogy means:
  1. If the App dissects, for some reason, when re-connected the drone is still unlocked
  2. When the drone is powered off (battery change) as soon as it re-connects to the device (phone/Tablet) the key is still on the device and unhooks the drone.
  3. If you fly controller only then the drone is locked (no key on controller).
    1. But first connect with device (and key) to unlock (no internet needed as key is already on device) - then disconnect and fly. Drone remains unlocked until power off.
Now I've no doubt this key has an expiry date (probably several days) and will be refreshed each time your device/Go4 reconnects to the internet. So unless your staying off-grid for months I cant see this being an issue.

I *think* this analogy works. (it's how I'd program it)
Anybody updated and fond something that disproves the above?

Last edited:
There is absolutely nothing confusing or complex about this whole thing. NOTHING. Nada.

The problem is all the chicken littles running around acting like DJI has suddenly stripped them of all their rights. The talk of lawsuits and refunds. Sheesh guys... enough.

Update and fly. Or don't update and fly. It's honestly that simple. You do not have to upgrade if you don't want to.

There is absolutely nothing confusing or complex about this whole thing. NOTHING. Nada.

The problem is all the chicken littles running around acting like DJI has suddenly stripped them of all their rights. The talk of lawsuits and refunds. Sheesh guys... enough.

Update and fly. Or don't update and fly. It's honestly that simple. You do not have to upgrade if you don't want to.
Confusing and surprising is how can Dji impose restrictions on an item that we bought and paid for.
Also surprising is how accepting of these restrictions so many are.

I don't know about this yet how everyone is clearly upset.
I just bought my new car, and the dealership told me that I can take it where ever I want to drive.
However, for some reason, the airport gets all ticked off when I am doing donuts on the runway (but it's so smooth and perfect for it)!
Then those park rangers keep chasing me everytime I try and drive it down the paths to the Grand Canyon. Geez, why are those guys such sticklers?

While I am going a bit overboard here, I am trying make my point. There is still restrictions in place for us on other things. We can't just do whatever we want.
While those of you are going to counter with "Those are gov't restrictions, not the company restricting it", keep in mind that many of the high end sports cars have governers on them that cut the speed of the car (even though it is way beyond the gov't posted speed limits).
Also, I know that some of you will also pull the argument of "that's not what it says when I bought it". You might have a point, but the terms of agreement that you all agreed to allow for these changes.
I'm not saying that I agree with it, but I can understand what is happening. This is a whole new market segment that is trying to be sorted out and it isn't the easiest thing. I agree that we should be pushing back so that we aren't restricted by every little private airport that no longer operates, but going about with the whole LAWSUITS and I'm NEVER BUYING DJI AGAIN attitude is a little bit off the handle IMHO.

Posted elsewhere but...

I'm trying to think of a better analogy of how I think the new Firmware/App/SDK system works as it appears to confise so many of us.

By default, when the Mavic powers up- it is "locked".(restricted)

When you connect your device (phone/tablet) via the internet using Go4 (or the newest API) to your DJI account - you download a "Key" to your device. This key stays on you device.(unless you deliberately delete it by clicking on log out)

When the Mavic connects to your device either via Go4 or the API - this key "unlocks" the drone. The drone stays unlocked until it powers down.

Power it back up again and the key is still on the device to unlock it when you re-connect (no internet needed)

This analogy means:
  1. If the App dissects, for some reason, when re-connected the drone is still unlocked
  2. When the drone is powered off (battery change) as soon as it re-connects to the device (phone/Tablet) the key is still on the device and unhooks the drone.
  3. If you fly controller only then the drone is locked (no key on controller).
    1. But first connect with device (and key) to unlock (no internet needed as key is already on device) - then disconnect and fly. Drone remains unlocked until power off.
Now I've no doubt this key has an expiry date (probably several days) and will be refreshed each time your device/Go4 reconnects to the internet. So unless your staying off-grid for months I cant see this being an issue.

I *think* this analogy works. (it's how I'd program it)
Anybody updated and fond something that disproves the above?

I think the Key is in the device used to view FPV. Otherwise the Mavic would fly on the controller only since the unlock key is in that hardware. And then there may be the need for Matching keys on each device. Key Cookie password some sort of persistent file or chunk in a storage location on one or the other or both of the devices.

So I relocated to a new site 200km away.

Fired up RC and and Mavic. Went for a FLY sans mobile device. Fenced in to the little box. Big deal.

Powered everything off and restarted everything but with phone in fight mode to preclude internet connection. Launched Litchi app and flew without restrictions. Then did same with DJIGo4. All good. Nothing to see there.

So took phone out of flight mode and got on with my business. Used Drone Deploy and Drone Harmony. No issues.

Fixed Wing mode works just fine for me. There is a new Gimbal icon on the LHS side of the screen to unlock the gimbal. By default it is locked. Took me a few moments to realise it was there and it being in lock was preventing me seeing the new feature. Seems a worthy addition as tying tilt to the path vector kinda sucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: QuackerDamus
Confusing and surprising is how can Dji impose restrictions on an item that we bought and paid for.
Also surprising is how accepting of these restrictions so many are.
What restrictions? Don't upgrade if you are in fear of the multitude of restrictions that have been proven to be nonexistent.

What restrictions? Don't upgrade if you are in fear of the multitude of restrictions that have been proven to be nonexistent.

Well said..

I can't believe people are still going on about stuff like this.. weird.

p.s :- on a different note.. Downgraded to .700 and then back to .800 again last night.. Hope this fixes my fixed wing mode problem..

.800 has not restricted me in any way from flying just as I've always flown, so it is hard to find a reason to be anything other than 'accepting'...
Mark , The issues of the .800 FW is not a instantaneous change --- Your just hearing about it today --- Tomorrow is when you'll see it !
FW .800 is the just the start with many more to follow !! --- This is about the Future

Proven to be nonexistent ?????? Really?
Nothing has been proven !

Last edited:
Mark , The issues of the .800 FW is not a instantaneous change --- Your just hearing about it today --- Tomorrow is when you'll see it !
FW .800 is the just the start with many more to follow !! --- This is about the Future

Oh wow.. seriously...?

you should go out and take a walk or something...
chill down man...

you don't like what you "think" they are doing..., sell your mavic.. simple as that..

Oh wow.. seriously...?

you should go out and take a walk or something...
chill down man...

you don't like what you "think" they are doing..., sell your mavic.. simple as that..
Did I say something wrong ?????

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky