Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Gallatin River Rafting,Montana

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
Monday Aug. 8,2022

This 02:48 minute timelapse and drone film depicts white water rafting on the historic Gallatin River, which arises in Yellowstone Park and flows northward to join the Jefferson River and Madison River, at Three Forks, Montana. Rafting is a popular summer activity in the Montana Big Sky area, with several companies running trips throughout the day. The road running along side the river (Hwy 191) is probably one of the most beautiful, and scenic drives in the country as it wends its way from Bozeman to south of Yellowstone through deep rock canyons.

The time-lapse sequence was done with a Nikon D750 body, Nikkor 28-300mm,f/3.5-5.6 using an internal intervalometer set at 1.0 second intervals for 350 frames, and processed in LRTimelapse.6. I .

The DJI Mavic 3 drone was positioned in the middle of the river above the flow of the rafters.
I was pleasantly surprised at the excellent results from the zoom lens of the Mavic 3.
This film was processed with Adobe Premiere Pro.

Best viewed full screen and with sound.

All comments always welcomed.

Last edited:
Dale- Nice fun

Is there any advantage to shooting a timelapse rather than just retiming those clips to run faster? This might have been a good spot to try a hyperlapse with your M3.

Dale- Nice fun

Is there any advantage to shooting a timelapse rather than just retiming those clips to run faster? This might have been a good spot to try a hyperlapse with your M3.
You have a point , but if you know the river routine here (which I have learned from years of traveling here),
the rafting companies send out a group at around 11:30 AM each day. So you only have this one opportunity. Either I could have put the M3 up in the air for a hyper lapse or do a double set-up- e.g.: my tripod and DSLR shooting one frame per second, and the drone shooting videos and stills using the new tele function of the Hasselblad lens. I opted for doing both simultaneously. I set up the tripod and camera for anticipating when the rafts were coming around the curve, and once I got that running, I launched the M3.

By the way, the hyper lapse function of the drone has a minimum of only TWO second intervals. That is not sufficient for action like the rafters. You would need an interval of one second to capture this properly. I shot the DSLR at ONE SECOND intervals.

Dale

Why do they send them all at the same time? I was struck by the heavy river traffic, given that solitude is one goal of river rafting.

Why do they send them all at the same time? I was struck by the heavy river traffic, given that solitude is one goal of river rafting.
My gosh! You are just now looking at my September (3 months ago) video?

In any case, there are three (3) rafting companies on the road from Bozeman to Big Sky (45 miles). They depend 100% on the river for income. They run either 3 or 4 trips a day, weather-dependent. So just do the numbers! They run a trip at 9:00, 10:00, noon, 2:00 and 4:00. So three companies doing trips 4 time a day equals 12 groups a day.

Could you make a comment on the actual video?

Dale

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman