DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Galveston Island rules

x5rdman

Reactions
So I’m wanting to fly the shoreline at Pirates Beach in Galveston. Outside of the airport airspace. But I’m confused on this a-381 comment. Can anyone clear it up for me? Thanks
77d9f6e18a21de194db8862ec71a5f97.jpg

A-381, which is easily Googled is a special fly area.

Are you using B4UFLY / Aloft / etc? If so, it should tell you what you need to do to fly in that area - if it is allowed. Probably have to request permission to fly.

There is a CG Station Galveston, so that may be part of it.

Looking on Aloft Desktop - there is a huge area marked with A-381 and it states that from sunrise to sunset - low altitude flights only. So, drone flights should be good. Maybe looking in your DJI App and see if it is geo-locked and requires permission.

Last edited:
Have a look at the Houston sectional chart for the boundaries of the area. There's a key on the left margin of the chart. "High volume of helicopter/seaplane traffic. CTC 123.025" It stretches along the coast from Galveston eastward. Surface to 2000 feet, sunrise to sunset.

Be aware of traffic and have fun flying.

The FAA regs are the ultimate authority. The apps are just an attempt at interpreting them in a convenient form.

Last edited:
A-381, which is easily Googled is a special fly area.

Are you using B4UFLY / Aloft / etc? If so, it should tell you what you need to do to fly in that area - if it is allowed. Probably have to request permission to fly.

There is a CG Station Galveston, so that may be part of it.

Looking on Aloft Desktop - there is a huge area marked with A-381 and it states that from sunrise to sunset - low altitude flights only. So, drone flights should be good. Maybe looking in your DJI App and see if it is geo-locked and requires permission.
Yes using the apps. That is where I see the a-381 special fly area. What I am not clear on, is if I can or ca not fly legally for recreation. I have not tried, so not sure what the DJI app shows.

Have a look at the Houston sectional chart for the boundaries of the area. There's a key on the left margin of the chart. "High volume of helicopter/seaplane traffic. CTC 123.025" It stretches along the coast from Galveston eastward. Surface to 2000 feet, sunrise to sunset.

Be aware of traffic and have fun flying.

The FAA regs are the ultimate authority. The apps are just an attempt at interpreting them in a convenient form.
So legally I can fly for recreation?

Yes. Alert areas are advisory, not regulatory. Be aware of the reason that the alert area exists and be careful to avoid other traffic.

There's a good discussion of special use airspace here:

Here's the CFR reference:

3.4.6 Alert Areas
Alert areas are depicted on aeronautical charts to inform nonparticipating pilots of areas that may contain a high volume of pilot training or an unusual type of aerial activity. Pilots should be particularly alert when flying in these areas. All activity within an alert area must be conducted in accordance with CFRs, without waiver, and pilots of participating aircraft as well as pilots transiting the area must be equally responsible for collision avoidance.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjauuu