GAO Report: Remote ID Not Living Up to Potential

GFields

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
digitalphotocreations.co
Interesting read posted by DroneLife

GAO Urges FAA and DHS to Enhance Support and Develop Network-Based Solutions for Effective Drone Identification and Safety Compliance

[Continue reading]

Great article, thanks for posting. Still reading thru and digesting the information so will have comments later.

I find it interesting the GAO is issuing the report now. According to the article:

"The report, which the GAO compiled after about a year of study, found that the FAA “has limited resources to support tribal, state, and local law enforcement,” in the use of remote ID technology to quickly identify drone operators that are flying in an unsafe manner."

Maybe I'm just not understanding. While the FAA started the planning process before implementation, RID didn't go into effect until September 16, 2023, with a repreive of enforcement until March 16, 2024. How is it they could know the FAA has "limited resources...blah, blah"...with most of the study's time frame being before the requirement went into effect?

Stepping off the soap box now.

How is it they could know the FAA has "limited resources...blah, blah"...with most of the study's time frame being before the requirement went into effect?
Because it was so obvious that the FAA was ramming Remote ID through on grounds of national security before having any of the infrastructure, laws, regulations, policies, procedures or personnel in place to actually make it of any use to state and local law enforcement. The bottleneck is there are only 25 FAA personnel authorized to handle inquiries from state and local law enforcement and I wonder how many of them know or understand state search and seizure laws which may or may not be identical to federal standards. I sure would like to see the FAA's written policies covering release of registration data to state and local law enforcement.

Because it was so obvious that the FAA was ramming Remote ID through on grounds of national security before having any of the infrastructure, laws, regulations, policies, procedures or personnel in place to actually make it of any use to state and local law enforcement. The bottleneck is there are only 25 FAA personnel authorized to handle inquiries from state and local law enforcement and I wonder how many of them know or understand state search and seizure laws which may or may not be identical to federal standards. I sure would like to see the FAA's written policies covering release of registration data to state and local law enforcement.
Thanks - that explains a lot!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efe