DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

General questions about flying near a class E airport

Have you guys seen the FAA memo written by Scott Gardner dated Jan 10, 2018? Pertains to CRF 107.41. I read it is an internal memo (not released to the public) that explains Class E surface area authorizations. It's up to you whether to take it as law, but it makes sense to me that he is just further explaining existing regs. It indicates that class E airspace designated as a surface area for an airport would require permission to operate in. Based on that I would either get permission or fly during the times of the day when JHM turns into an uncontrolled airport. If you aren't flying under part 107, I'm not sure. Since they repealed 336. Well, the house did. I think it's off to the senate. Maybe for now, if flying for recreation, you don't strictly need permission. I'm not sure what to make of the FAA's take on it:

"Yes, an airport operator can object to the proposed use of a model aircraft within five miles of an airport if the proposed activity would endanger the safety of the airspace. However, the airport operator cannot prohibit or prevent the model aircraft operator from operating within five miles of the airport. Conducting an operation in spite of the objection of an airport operator may be evidence that the model aircraft operator was endangering the safety of the National Airspace System."

Last edited:
You're behind on the status of the new bill. POTUS has signed it into law already. However some of the law's requirements haven't been implemented yet such as method of getting permission from proper authorities so for those, handle as before until further notice.
What that says to me: follow airspace regs like with 107, call airport/tower to get permission. If they say no, then consider it officially denied rather than not recommended.

marklyn,

I'm still learning to read airspace sectional charts so don't take this as gospel...

Here is the airport in question on the current FAA Airspace Sectional Chart for that part of Maui:

i-s2z5Mpk.jpg

The wide variegated red band around the airport denotes Class E airspace. Frequently, Class E airspace doesn't go all the way to the ground. However, in this particular case, you'll see a dashed red line just inside the Class E airspace band. That dashed red line indicates that inside that area Class E airspace DOES go all the way to the surface at certain times. Notice the text above the airspace, there are certain effective hours when that Class E airspace goes to the surface. Outside of those hours Class E airspace starts at 700' AGL (700' AGL is indicated in the legend for the chart, sometimes Class E starts at 1,200' AGL other times it is 700' AGL).

So, basically, if you are flying your drone outside the effective hours of when Class E extends to the surface, and you keep your drone below 700' AGL, you are NOT in Class E airspace. When outside the effective hours of Class E extending to the surface the airspace from the surface to 700' AGL is Class G airspace. A hobbyist drone pilot does not require permission nor need to make notification when flying within Class G airspace.

If you want to fly your drone WITHIN the effective time frame of Class E extending to the surface then you ARE in Class E airspace. Under HR 302 Section 349 (which is now law), hobbyist drone pilots are required to obtain PERMISSION (not just notify) to fly within Class E airspace.

You need to contact the airport to establish the hours during which Class E extends all the way to the surface. AirNav.com indicates that Manager of Kapalua Airport is Marvin Moniz. The telephone number is (808) 872-3830. See:

AirNav: PHJH - Kapalua Airport

I believe what I have posted is accurate but, again, I'm still new at reading sectional charts.

Mark

Kapalua is class E to the surface. If you are flying for hire here you need a waiver. Check an AFD for hours it is class G but I would imagine most of the year it’s only class g at night.
A simple email to the airport manager the day before is enough to go fly for personal fun time

I am very new to the droning world and, as my wife can attest, very much a stickler for the rules and regulations, as most are there to help prevent an accident (yes, it is true that some are more overreach than protection). However, what I have found works well is for questions like these, where there does not seem to be an overwhelming consensus, I reach out to the FAA itself through the FAADroneZone email. It usually takes a couple of days to get a reply, but most of the times, the response is extremely helpful and clears up any question that I had. Just my two cents from limited knowledge.

Reactions: SKentBrown
what about airfields for seasonal crop duster flights? or privet one plane fields (aka: the filthy rich people).
not possible to call anyone for these places. and some will never see another airplane (gramps died).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998