DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Geo?? little scared of that...

Zandian

Reactions
Ok, I don’t mind being told where sensitive areas are, but “automatically” keeping my drone away from them? A little worried about how they define “sensitive” and whether this “automatic” mode can be turned off or not...

Z

Reactions: Irish-apple
Ok, I don’t mind being told where sensitive areas are, but “automatically” keeping my drone away from them? A little worried about how they define “sensitive” and whether this “automatic” mode can be turned off or not...

Z
yep do as DJI says or dont do at all .. total control of what you do ..

It is kind of a double edged sword....
I personally like being restricted where I shouldn’t fly. Saves me having to study maps and charts before I go fly. But, I live in an area with very few areas that are restricted. I can see that if you are nested in a high traffic area that it could get frustrating. The plus side is, at least you know when there is a possible fine facing you if you fly.

Z

Is this a new feature over Mavic Pro 1st gen? Or just a general concern?

The point is: fine with knowing the limits of the surroundings, not fine blocking you if you want to take your responsibility.
Also totally pointless that it allows me to fly in the center of Milan, when the police would handcuff me in split seconds and seize the drone, while you can't even fly it at 5m while walking in the woods, just because there is an airport in the premises (ever seen airplanes flying in the woods?).

As as summary: an informative geomap function is fine, totally blocking not so fine.

Reactions: nil

Z
It is the reason why, when my modded Mavic Pro dies someday - I won't be buying my next drone from DJI. I am not at all a fan of forced restrictions. I am a safe flyer, but before modding my MP, I attempted to fly in two areas that were restricted. Both were within five miles of airstrips that had been shutdown years ago.

It would be OK if it worked correctly, but with DJI's propensity for shipping buggy software I expect there will be some problems.

Even with my MPP I have experienced false positives from the existing Geofencing feature. One day I was just outside of a 5-mile radius from our local airport, but the Go 4 app kept popping up the "you are responsible for safety" confirmation dialog repeatedly. I'd check the box and acknowledge it, but it would pop up again 30 seconds later. Since it blocked the screen it made flying almost impossible. Glitches like this are going to piss off a lot of people.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Reactions: Zandian
They. Have. To. Either they do it or folks go to store, never read manual, never show up here to learn, and they fly filing a 380 taking off or landing, get in truble, get more regulations out of it, and maybe even 3rd party suing DJI because they "let" people do it.

Reactions: Causetout
No different than current DJI geo fencing

Are you sure about that? DJI has tweaked a lot of things in this new Mavic 2, e.g. the Active Track mode. I would not be surprised if they made some "upgrades" to the geofencing feature as well, especially if it covers their ***** better.

The point is: fine with knowing the limits of the surroundings, not fine blocking you if you want to take your responsibility.
Also totally pointless that it allows me to fly in the center of Milan, when the police would handcuff me in split seconds and seize the drone, while you can't even fly it at 5m while walking in the woods, just because there is an airport in the premises (ever seen airplanes flying in the woods?).

As as summary: an informative geomap function is fine, totally blocking not so fine.

Agreed

They. Have. To. Either they do it or folks go to store, never read manual, never show up here to learn, and they fly filing a 380 taking off or landing, get in truble, get more regulations out of it, and maybe even 3rd party suing DJI because they "let" people do it.

I don’t mind over prisons, sensitive govt buildings, within certain proximity of airports, it’s when they start restricting the fringes where I start getting concerned...

Z

Are you sure about that? DJI has tweaked a lot of things in this new Mavic 2, e.g. the Active Track mode. I would not be surprised if they made some "upgrades" to the geofencing feature as well, especially if it covers their ***** better.

In the presentation it sounded like they’ve “upgraded” it

Geo can be very helpful indeed :) just like the Geo Fence of my 3G GPS tracking device :cool:

I don’t mind over prisons, sensitive govt buildings, within certain proximity of airports, it’s when they start restricting the fringes where I start getting concerned...

Z
Same here, I think they will be sensible. Can't see them going overboard but they have to do stuff for airports, NFZ, wildfires etc. Will see ones people get it and report of any new restrictions.

It is the reason why, when my modded Mavic Pro dies someday - I won't be buying my next drone from DJI. I am not at all a fan of forced restrictions. I am a safe flyer, but before modding my MP, I attempted to fly in two areas that were restricted. Both were within five miles of airstrips that had been shutdown years ago.
Hi Quoncussion, can you please tell me how you modded the MPP? Thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hussy112233