DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Get M2P now or wait for M3? What about autel evo ii?

Hope this type of post is allowed.

Right now, I'm only a spark owner. It's mostly serving me well. I'm primarily a real estate photographer and I mostly use it to take a few photos of homes as add-ons to the ground photos. It's decent for this purpose. The photos aren't great but the quality is fine for just a few exterior photos.

Recently though, I don't know what it is, but I'm getting a lot more people interested in the drone work, specifically people wanting video. I've done 3 videos for real estate agents with the spark in the last 2 years, and while they were happy with the video, I just look at them taken with a 2-axis gimble and they kind of make the perfectionist in me puke.

Not only that, but I'm starting to get more inquiries from large businesses that want super high res photos, something better than the spark. I have to turn these down.

So I've been thinking about getting the M2P. I have some big concerns about this though. While it's a great drone, it IS now what, like 2 or 3 years old? Generally, I don't like purchasing tech in it's 2nd year, I don't like investing in something that's going to be obsolete soon. If the price was lower on it I would feel better, but I think right now it's even more expensive than when it came out. And then I could see DJI releasing the Mavic 3 in 6 months and the value of my "new" M2P would drop like a brick.

Even more worrying is the FAA's remote ID BS. It seems, from what I gather, that when remote ID comes, you will need a new drone and all the old drones will essentiallly be bricked. I wish DJI would make a statement or be more clear if the older drones like M2P can be firmware fixed to be remote ID compliant, but it seems they want to leave us in the dark guessing.

Now, I'm not made of money, so a M2P would be a big investment for me. And I would want it to last. So if it's foolish to get it now, I wouldn't. But at the same time, the spark is holding me back from the potential of making more money.

I've also been looking into the Autel Evo II. If I got it, I would wait for the 1" sensor model slated to come out in March. The specs look great, and it's my favorite color orange, so I wouldnt have to wrap it! And I like that it doesn't have the BS DJI geofencing. My area has had a lot of the geofencing zones added recently. I think it's stupid that I have to go to the DJI website and get authorization every time, when I'm already a 107 holder and get proper auth ahead of time with LAANC. Honestly DJI should just keep 107 licenses on file per account and leave it up to the pilots to get proper auth, knowing that as 107 holders, they probably play by the rules and aren't rogue pilots.

Of course, with the Evo II, the remote ID concerns still apply. That, and I don't know how reliable Autel drones are. DJI is the leader, so it seems they would have the most reliable tech. In other words, less chance for crashes or fly aways with DJI gear. I would think.

Thoughts? Anyone else in my situation?
My experience has been that drones need a but of time on the vine before you really want to deal with them.
I personally would be very hesitant to buy a drone in the first year. It just seems to take time for the issues to come to light and to get them fixed.
It's seldom that the next new thing is really that much better these days. It's going to be hard to beat the M2P's camera in a non-gimicky way.
More mega pixels after 20MP is of dubious value. You start losing low light performance and other issues. Note Nikon latest flag ship DSLR is 20.1MP, so more MP is really a marketing thing.
A DJI refirb is a good way to go. Same warranty and I have had good luck with manufacture refirbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience has been that drones need a but of time on the vine before you really want to deal with them.
I personally would be very hesitant to buy a drone in the first year. It just seems to take time for the issues to come to light and to get them fixed.
It's seldom that the next new thing is really that much better these days. It's going to be hard to beat the M2P's camera in a non-gimicky way.
More mega pixels after 20MP is of dubious value. You start losing low light performance and other issues. Note Nikon latest flag ship DSLR is 20.1MP, so more MP is really a marketing thing.
A DJI refirb is a good way to go. Same warranty and I have had good luck with manufacture refirbs.
This I agree 100%. When the EVO came out i was torn between it's better price opposed to the MP2, but i waited a year and studied and watched as Joseph Consumer tested them for me. My conclusion brought me to the MP2 and I was given a deal that couldn't be refused.

As far as 8K video is concerned, by the time it's in popular use the EVO 2 will be in a drone museum and you will see them at yard sales. So I think were just talking about side sensors here, and I dont feel that these feature are worth the extra $700.00.

my apologies in advance if this has been discussed before, but I did use the search feature and it didn't come up with anything for me. Here is my question: I recently purchased an Mavic 2 Pro drone, and though this isn't my first drone, it's features are vastly different than the drone and GoPro hero I used 6 years ago...so, are there any apps out there for flight simulation? I would really like to get good using the Advanced flying features of the Mavic 2 Pro, but it's hard to concentrate/experiment/practice when you've got the thing up in the air. I've watched many you tube videos, but it goes like this, when you want to perform a helix move, simply highlight the subject in your viewfinder you want to feature....uh, excuse me, but...how do you "highlight" the desired subject? I'll admit it....I need it dumbed down a bit...

Hope this type of post is allowed.

Right now, I'm only a spark owner. It's mostly serving me well. I'm primarily a real estate photographer and I mostly use it to take a few photos of homes as add-ons to the ground photos. It's decent for this purpose. The photos aren't great but the quality is fine for just a few exterior photos.

Recently though, I don't know what it is, but I'm getting a lot more people interested in the drone work, specifically people wanting video. I've done 3 videos for real estate agents with the spark in the last 2 years, and while they were happy with the video, I just look at them taken with a 2-axis gimble and they kind of make the perfectionist in me puke.

Not only that, but I'm starting to get more inquiries from large businesses that want super high res photos, something better than the spark. I have to turn these down.

So I've been thinking about getting the M2P. I have some big concerns about this though. While it's a great drone, it IS now what, like 2 or 3 years old? Generally, I don't like purchasing tech in it's 2nd year, I don't like investing in something that's going to be obsolete soon. If the price was lower on it I would feel better, but I think right now it's even more expensive than when it came out. And then I could see DJI releasing the Mavic 3 in 6 months and the value of my "new" M2P would drop like a brick.

Even more worrying is the FAA's remote ID BS. It seems, from what I gather, that when remote ID comes, you will need a new drone and all the old drones will essentiallly be bricked. I wish DJI would make a statement or be more clear if the older drones like M2P can be firmware fixed to be remote ID compliant, but it seems they want to leave us in the dark guessing.

Now, I'm not made of money, so a M2P would be a big investment for me. And I would want it to last. So if it's foolish to get it now, I wouldn't. But at the same time, the spark is holding me back from the potential of making more money.

I've also been looking into the Autel Evo II. If I got it, I would wait for the 1" sensor model slated to come out in March. The specs look great, and it's my favorite color orange, so I wouldnt have to wrap it! And I like that it doesn't have the BS DJI geofencing. My area has had a lot of the geofencing zones added recently. I think it's stupid that I have to go to the DJI website and get authorization every time, when I'm already a 107 holder and get proper auth ahead of time with LAANC. Honestly DJI should just keep 107 licenses on file per account and leave it up to the pilots to get proper auth, knowing that as 107 holders, they probably play by the rules and aren't rogue pilots.

Of course, with the Evo II, the remote ID concerns still apply. That, and I don't know how reliable Autel drones are. DJI is the leader, so it seems they would have the most reliable tech. In other words, less chance for crashes or fly aways with DJI gear. I would think.

Thoughts? Anyone else in my situation?

I would think with all the telemetry that is currently available and being transmitted on the current DJI drones, that to add ID would simply be a firmware upgrade away, and could be added at any time. So as far as being obsolete, I don't see why the current DJI birds would be. I think the M2P would fill the bill for some time to come.

Reactions: parkgt
Hello. Reliability It’s what everyone wants Dji is number one, Had the Mavic pro2 when released thousands of hours because I fly a lot still have the same props , you will like your pics much better with the hassblad camera and much Quieter than the buzzzaw spark I meant lol

my apologies in advance if this has been discussed before, but I did use the search feature and it didn't come up with anything for me. Here is my question: I recently purchased an Mavic 2 Pro drone, and though this isn't my first drone, it's features are vastly different than the drone and GoPro hero I used 6 years ago...so, are there any apps out there for flight simulation? I would really like to get good using the Advanced flying features of the Mavic 2 Pro, but it's hard to concentrate/experiment/practice when you've got the thing up in the air. I've watched many you tube videos, but it goes like this, when you want to perform a helix move, simply highlight the subject in your viewfinder you want to feature....uh, excuse me, but...how do you "highlight" the desired subject? I'll admit it....I need it dumbed down a bit...

I was going to say DJI Go 4 comes with a flight simulator but it looks like they've removed it although from what I remember of it the software wasn't that useful.

My personal preference is just to find a good open area with no obstacles and take the drone with a few charged up batteries then just play around with it for a while, that way you don't have to worry about it in the air. I don't think the software is that intuitive at times so it can take some trial and error. To highlight something on screen you drag your finger across to draw a rectangle over them and then when you let go the drone should recognise that subject and show a green rectangle round them.

I have a spark, MA, MPz and now an EVO. I do real estate and some work for PD and city so the MPz is perfect for this as occasionally I have to zoom in for a detail. All around best is the Mavic Air as it can do just about everything. The EVO is immune from all the non stop geo updates so a great drone for the future in my opinion and I would not wait for the EVO2 unless you are in love with sensors. I never use the DJI go app only litchi so no updates for the last year or so and I plan on keeping it that way unless something drastic changes. The nice thing about the EVO is you can pick one up for under $700 with a hard case and extra batteries. Same with the MA. The only real downside to the EVO is the props get in the video so you have to keep some down camera at any fast forward speeds.

Imaging tech moves along fairly slowly, especially for artistic uses. Most DSLRs are using processor chips that are several generations behind mobile phones and tablets, for example. And more megapixels aren't as big of an issue if you're just taking pictures for web use. The big driver in drones these days is autonomous flight and situational awareness, not semi-manual flights for photography.

Wait for the M3 to come out and then buy an M2Pro. Best drone dollar for dollar on the planet. Pro 1 inch 4K camera, high quality glass lens, great range on camera settings, super reliable drone.

Wait for the M3 to come out and then buy an M2Pro. Best drone dollar for dollar on the planet. Pro 1 inch 4K camera, high quality glass lens, great range on camera settings, super reliable drone.
M3 seems to be indefinitely on hold, as sales of the M2P are still very much alive. DJI sees no need to kill off the M2P golden goose for what is behind Door #3

Reactions: Thomas B
Food for thought, will be interesting to see what he says in follow up videos.

He's overlooking the fact that HQ has sharpening applied, while FOV does not. Not sure how he arrived at the assumption that FOV is converting the 5.4K frame to 2.7K and then upscaling it to 4K, as opposed to downscaling 5.4K to 4K, other than click bait for views! He's late to the party. If this were true, he would not be the first to reveal it. The pixel binning theory was already debunked a year ago. Eager to see what he finally concludes after actually testing his hypothesis. However, not subscribing to his channel, on principle, based upon a wild accusation that apears to be click bait to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: pelagic_one
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78