DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Get the wind data from Mavic 2 Zoom?

1582641320704.png
This is how the folder looks like.

Is there any other key information I'm missing? Do I need to enable special settings in the DJI Go 4 app? Do I need an SD Card inside the drone?

This is everything we've attempted to do so far

First try:
  1. Retrieving .DAT files from the DJI Go 4 app inside the sd card of a phone. We could find the .TXT files (unreadable in current state) but no .DAT files - we could find .DAT files from another AC.
  2. Retrieving .DAT files from the AC; it does not connect to the DJI Assistant 2 software.
  3. Retrieving .DAT files from the AC Controller - we can retrieve them but we can’t process the data from any software (CsvView and Extract DJI inside CsvView).
  4. Extracted the .TXT files from the DJI Go 4 directory to a 3rd party software, successful but does not give the data we’re looking for.

Next try:
  1. Uninstall the GO 4 app and delete all its directories, then reinstall.
    1. Tried on a new device and with the instructions a second time, did not work.
  2. Retrying to connect the AC to DJI Assistant 2.
    1. Did connect, however it fails to get the log list.
  3. Trying different extraction software.
    1. As we can’t get the .DAT logs from the controller, the phone, or the AC this is currently redundant.
  4. Trying DJI Go 4 on a different device.
    1. Tried, still no .DAT files.
  5. Get in contact with DJI about the issue of getting .DAT files from the DJI Go 4 app.
    1. Email sent, waiting for reply.
  6. Research for 3rd party controllers.
    1. Not sure if there even are 3rd party controllers that can log flight info.
  7. Tried exporting the logs from the controller using Assistant 2
    1. Can connect, but says “Export failed, please try again” repeatedly.

Last edited:
View attachment 95038
This is how the folder looks like.

Is there any other key information I'm missing? Do I need to enable special settings in the DJI Go 4 app? Do I need an SD Card inside the drone?

This is everything we've attempted to do so far

First try:
  1. Retrieving .DAT files from the DJI Go 4 app inside the sd card of a phone. We could find the .TXT files (unreadable in current state) but no .DAT files - we could find .DAT files from another AC.
  2. Retrieving .DAT files from the AC; it does not connect to the DJI Assistant 2 software.
  3. Retrieving .DAT files from the AC Controller - we can retrieve them but we can’t process the data from any software (CsvView and Extract DJI inside CsvView).
  4. Extracted the .TXT files from the DJI Go 4 directory to a 3rd party software, successful but does not give the data we’re looking for.

Next try:
  1. Uninstall the GO 4 app and delete all its directories, then reinstall.
    1. Tried on a new device and with the instructions a second time, did not work.
  2. Retrying to connect the AC to DJI Assistant 2.
    1. Did connect, however it fails to get the log list.
  3. Trying different extraction software.
    1. As we can’t get the .DAT logs from the controller, the phone, or the AC this is currently redundant.
  4. Trying DJI Go 4 on a different device.
    1. Tried, still no .DAT files.
  5. Get in contact with DJI about the issue of getting .DAT files from the DJI Go 4 app.
    1. Email sent, waiting for reply.
  6. Research for 3rd party controllers.
    1. Not sure if there even are 3rd party controllers that can log flight info.
  7. Tried exporting the logs from the controller using Assistant 2
    1. Can connect, but says “Export failed, please try again” repeatedly.

I think I've seen one other instance of an M2 not producing DAT files on the mobile device. As far as I know that problem was never resolved.

Forget any DAT files on the AC or RC. The AC DAT is encrypted since Air was released. That's a shame as I found it useful in comparing signal issues from ACs perspective vs app perspective on my P3 and found that I lost downlink, but never lost uplink. I could have raised altitude or engaged RTH but was blind to knowing that.

The DAT should be on internal storage on your phone, not SD storage. But then, so should the TXT logs. You are correct, txt logs are not plain text human readable but rather encoded data.

I think I've seen one other instance of an M2 not producing DAT files on the mobile device. As far as I know that problem was never resolved.
I don't think mine disappear, but I haven't checked lately. Perhaps Go is doing to them what we found Fly is doing: deleting them after sync? The folder should at least exist though.

Forget any DAT files on the AC or RC. The AC DAT is encrypted since Air was released. That's a shame as I found it useful in comparing signal issues from ACs perspective vs app perspective on my P3 and found that I lost downlink, but never lost uplink. I could have raised altitude or engaged RTH but was blind to knowing that.

The DAT should be on internal storage on your phone, not SD storage. But then, so should the TXT logs. You are correct, txt logs are not plain text human readable but rather encoded data.
Pardon me it's supposed to say internal storage - the phone used doesn't even have external memory!
So we should just forget about trying to get attitude data from our Mavic 2 Zoom? Since we can't fetch it from the phone and we've tried now with two phones, one of which we made a complete reinstall of DJI Go 4, multiple flights and AC and RC firmware up to date.

Correct. Mine does, on both Android and iOS.
When did you purchase your product? Could there be any risk they've added something to the newer versions that disables this?
I guess I'll just have to wait until the DJI Developers reply to my email.

What firmware are you running? Both on the DJI Go 4, the RC and AC?

When did you purchase your product? Could there be any risk they've added something to the newer versions that disables this?
I guess I'll just have to wait until the DJI Developers reply to my email.

Mine was one of the first produced, but numerous M2 DAT files have been posted here for analysis. As I said, I can only recall one instance where no file was being produced, and it appeared to be an aircraft issue, rather than mobile device problem.

Mine was one of the first produced, but numerous M2 DAT files have been posted here for analysis. As I said, I can only recall one instance where no file was being produced, and it appeared to be an aircraft issue, rather than mobile device problem.

Thank you for your help sar104. The issue is starting to clear up now, and the conclusion is starting to look terrible...will be very troublesome for our project timeline.

So here's another question, our client is able to supply us with a new drone to complete the project as intended. Do you have any recommendations as to which drone we should request?

We need a drone that can collect attitude data at 10 Hz.

I just need some recommendations that will without any doubt give us data that can help us achieve this goal, from what I understand our Mavic 2 Zoom should do this, but it's not...

Last edited:
So here's another question, our client is able to supply us with a new drone to complete the project as intended. Do you have any recommendations as to which drone we should request?

I just need some recommendations that will without any doubt give us data that can help us achieve this goal, from what I understand our Mavic 2 Zoom should do this, but it's not...

Difficult to answer, since all the DJI aircraft should produce mobile device DAT files. Yours is anomalous. Are you feeling lucky?

Difficult to answer, since all the DJI aircraft should produce mobile device DAT files. Yours is anomalous. Are you feeling lucky?
Definitley not... But you know (since we need this as a backup plan for the project incase our first idea doesn't work) that any DJI Product should give us .DAT files of attitude data at 10 Hz? We need to discuss with our client about how they want us to proceed.

I just want to make sure I can tell my client that our product is faulty and simply buying a new one would enable us to get the attitude data at 10 Hz. But of course, it's my responsibility.

Definitley not... But you know (since we need this as a backup plan for the project incase our first idea doesn't work) that any DJI Product should give us .DAT files of attitude data at 10 Hz? We need to discuss with our client about how they want us to proceed.

I just want to make sure I can tell my client that our product is faulty and simply buying a new one would enable us to get the attitude data at 10 Hz. But of course, it's my responsibility.

That DAT files record sensor fusion altitude and barometric raw data at 10 Hz, and GNSS altitude at 5 Hz. All attitude data is 10 Hz.

Try the Mavic Pro. You can get the .DAT from the MP itself which has attitude data at 200 Hz. You won't have to worry about having the same problem with the tablet .DAT. And, the MP already computes wind data for you that seems pretty good in the tests that I've done.

The P4 series also has an on board .DAT that provides attitude data at 200 Hz. The P4Pro has the same wind data that the MP has, but I've not looked at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: sar104
Try the Mavic Pro. You can get the .DAT from the MP itself which has attitude data at 200 Hz. You won't have to worry about having the same problem with the tablet .DAT. And, the MP already computes wind data for you that seems pretty good in the tests that I've done.

The P4 series also has an on board .DAT that provides attitude data at 200 Hz. The P4Pro has the same wind data that the MP has, but I've not looked at it.
Thank you, will discuss this with my client, hopefully the randomness proves fruitful this time!

Ok so we got another approach - try the Litchi application.
I've had a conversation with them through FB Messenger and they basically said they give you a csv file with attitude data. Is this correct? I read your post @sar104 where you say that

"Third-party control apps, such as Litchi, create their own custom log files in various formats using the DJI SDK, generally in CSV format. None that I have seen are as comprehensive as the DJI TXT log, let alone the DJI DAT log.

Since Litchi is probably the most common third-party app, it's worth noting that, under iOS and Android, Litchi creates its own CSV log and a standard DJI TXT log in a separate directory. No DAT file though."

from inspection the .TXT files already given through DJI Go 4 does not give any attitude data, I'm not sure if we can expect such a thing from Litchi. Even though it hints at this through sample .csv files. When I look at their sample .csv files in CsvView it only gives me altitude and battery but in excel there's lots of other parameters (all named in one column) and only around 10 comma separated values. So my hypothesis is that it has all these parameters, but only sends out a small portion of it.

If I copy the column from Excel:
"latitude,longitude,altitude(feet),ascent(feet),speed(mph),distance(feet),max_altitude(feet),max_ascent(feet),max_speed(mph),max_distance(feet),time(millisecond),datetime(utc),datetime(local),satellites,pressure(Pa),temperature(F),voltage(v),home_latitude,home_longitude,velocityX(mph),velocityY(mph),velocityZ(mph),pitch(deg),roll(deg),yaw(deg),powerlevel,isflying,istakingphoto,remainPowerPercent,remainLifePercent,currentCurrent,currentElectricity,currentVoltage,batteryTemperature,dischargeCount,flightmode,isMotorsOn,isTakingVideo,Rc_elevator,Rc_aileron,Rc_throttle,Rc_rudder,Rc_gyro,timestamp,Battery_Cell1,Battery_Cell2,Battery_Cell3,Battery_Cell4,Battery_Cell5,Battery_Cell6,Dronetype,AppVersion,Planename,FlyControllerSerialNumber,RemoteSerialNumber,BatterySerialNumber,CENTER_BATTERY.productDate,CENTER_BATTERY.serialNo,CENTER_BATTERY.fullCapacity,CENTER_BATTERY.productDateRaw,pitchRaw,rollRaw,yawRaw,gimbalPitchRaw,gimbalRollRaw,gimbalYawRaw,flyState,altitudeRaw,speedRaw,distanceRaw,velocityXRaw,velocityYRaw,velocityZRaw,data_reuse,App_Tip,App_Warning,downlinkSignalQuality,uplinkSignalQuality,transmissionChannel,rcModeSwitch,rcHome,rcPause,rcTransform,rcJoystickMode,appMode,FlyControllerSerialNumber_legacy,RemoteSerialNumber_legacy,BatterySerialNumber_legacy,Battery2SerialNumber,frontAvoidDist,backAvoidDist,isBrakingToAvoid" clearly attitude is listed.

But in CsvView:

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 5
Ok so we got another approach - try the Litchi application.
I've had a conversation with them through FB Messenger and they basically said they give you a csv file with attitude data. Is this correct? I read your post @sar104 where you say that

"Third-party control apps, such as Litchi, create their own custom log files in various formats using the DJI SDK, generally in CSV format. None that I have seen are as comprehensive as the DJI TXT log, let alone the DJI DAT log.

Since Litchi is probably the most common third-party app, it's worth noting that, under iOS and Android, Litchi creates its own CSV log and a standard DJI TXT log in a separate directory. No DAT file though."

from inspection the .TXT files already given through DJI Go 4 does not give any attitude data, I'm not sure if we can expect such a thing from Litchi. Even though it hints at this through sample .csv files. When I look at their sample .csv files in CsvView it only gives me altitude and battery but in excel there's lots of other parameters (all named in one column) and only around 10 comma separated values. So my hypothesis is that it has all these parameters, but only sends out a small portion of it.

If I copy the column from Excel:
"latitude,longitude,altitude(feet),ascent(feet),speed(mph),distance(feet),max_altitude(feet),max_ascent(feet),max_speed(mph),max_distance(feet),time(millisecond),datetime(utc),datetime(local),satellites,pressure(Pa),temperature(F),voltage(v),home_latitude,home_longitude,velocityX(mph),velocityY(mph),velocityZ(mph),pitch(deg),roll(deg),yaw(deg),powerlevel,isflying,istakingphoto,remainPowerPercent,remainLifePercent,currentCurrent,currentElectricity,currentVoltage,batteryTemperature,dischargeCount,flightmode,isMotorsOn,isTakingVideo,Rc_elevator,Rc_aileron,Rc_throttle,Rc_rudder,Rc_gyro,timestamp,Battery_Cell1,Battery_Cell2,Battery_Cell3,Battery_Cell4,Battery_Cell5,Battery_Cell6,Dronetype,AppVersion,Planename,FlyControllerSerialNumber,RemoteSerialNumber,BatterySerialNumber,CENTER_BATTERY.productDate,CENTER_BATTERY.serialNo,CENTER_BATTERY.fullCapacity,CENTER_BATTERY.productDateRaw,pitchRaw,rollRaw,yawRaw,gimbalPitchRaw,gimbalRollRaw,gimbalYawRaw,flyState,altitudeRaw,speedRaw,distanceRaw,velocityXRaw,velocityYRaw,velocityZRaw,data_reuse,App_Tip,App_Warning,downlinkSignalQuality,uplinkSignalQuality,transmissionChannel,rcModeSwitch,rcHome,rcPause,rcTransform,rcJoystickMode,appMode,FlyControllerSerialNumber_legacy,RemoteSerialNumber_legacy,BatterySerialNumber_legacy,Battery2SerialNumber,frontAvoidDist,backAvoidDist,isBrakingToAvoid" clearly attitude is listed.

But in CsvView:

If all you want are the attitude data then why are you bothering with the DAT files. Attitude data are recorded in the regular txt flight log at 10 Hz, and your txt logs were not missing, were they?

Litchi does create its own csv log, but it also creates a regular DJI SDK txt log.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54