DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getting a bit ridiculous

RedBeard

Reactions
175e1c86283c73d2ec6835de684d8755.jpg

Am I really expected to call every airport?

Yes. EVERY time you fly too. But take heart, I've been in zones like that and there are NO towers or anyone to call in many instances. Call once and ask to keep a flight ticket open or tell them you will be calling every day multiple times a day and they will beg you to not call. I've been told by them that if you are under 400 feet, they don't want to know about it. But technically they don't have the right to give you a waiver. The FAA needs to update the rules - obviously- as they didn't take into consideration the vast majority of the "grey areas" out there or to give towers the authority to give a blanket permission.

Yes. EVERY time you fly too. But take heart, I've been in zones like that and there are NO towers or anyone to call in many instances. Call once and ask to keep a flight ticket open or tell them you will be calling every day multiple times a day and they will beg you to not call. I've been told by them that if you are under 400 feet, they don't want to know about it. But technically they don't have the right to give you a waiver. The FAA needs to update the rules - obviously- as they didn't take into consideration the vast majority of the "grey areas" out there or to give towers the authority to give a blanket permission.
This is the answer for hobby users - not Licensed users correct? I think many of our participants need clarity whenever this topic is discussed.... which is why we stay away from interpreting FAA law as as they are specific to each and every case and blanket answers just don't cut it.

This is the answer for hobby users - not Licensed users correct? I think many of our participants need clarity whenever this topic is discussed.... which is why we stay away from interpreting FAA law as as they are specific to each and every case and blanket answers just don't cut it.
Yes. I assumed (correctly I think) that the nature of the question indicated he was a hobby user. Licensed users generally know their rules.

Reactions: Slayerstwin
airmaps has a digital notice that a lot of airports accept. Id go that route.

I did an iOS search and found that there is two different apps. There is an app called AirMaps (we don't want this one) and a different app called AirMap (for drones...this is the one we want). I tried to create a flight near the edge of my local airport and it told me that my airport does not accept digital contact, but it did give me the phone number instead.

Last edited:
Could you provide us more info? Airmaps..... Is this an app? Android or iOS? Computer?

The iOS air maps just shows me as a plane and my altitude in metric... there is no options......

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Its a really popular app, If you fly you should download it.
On my phone i have the apps, Kittyhawk, Hover, Advisory and irmap.

all for maps, windspeed, weather, NOTAMs ect.

How to Submit a Digital Flight Notice to Airports - AirMap

Reactions: HiVac
Thanks...I was searching for Airmaps...but I found it! It looks great!

Sorry, lol it's really Airmap, I don't know why I add the S to it.

But you can customize it how you want the maps to show, what airspace or heliports.
Kittyhawk is powered by Airmap but has different options.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98