DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getting arrested. But found a cool spot

Yikes. It is stories like this are why I try to find decreet places to take off from, and usually control from within my jeep if there are people around. I try to make it hard to figure out who is controlling the drone until I land and pick it up. (Not saying you did anything wrong!) Just saying you have to avoid jerks, even ignorant cops. Which stinks.
I'm with you... i try to get somewhere where people are not around....and i try to get up in the air and back down discretely. i've done the same thing with my regular photography since 9/11... everyone thinks you are a terrorist or up to no good, when all you are doing is trying to get shots that are different from the normal "tourist" shots, unique POV, etc.

The only time I was hassled by law enforcement was using my regular camera one night around 11:00 PM. I stopped along a road to photograph an old farm house under the moonlight that had a single light on in the house. I was at least 100 yards from the house, and the side of a public road. The cop pulled up behind me, light flashing.

He asked what I was doing, and asked for my ID. He went back to his car and I assume ran my ID. He then came back and told me that doing what I was doing could make people suspicious. I asked him if I could complete my efforts, and he said sure, but move along as quickly as possible. As far as I know, making people suspicious is not against the law.

I'm more libertarian-minded than most and feel .gov is like cancer.... If you have to have it, you want it as small and localized as possible. That said, IMHO, that was a reasonable contact.

Time of day, and unusual activity certainly raises to the level of reasonable articulable suspicion. Of I were the homeowner, I probably would have welcomed what happened.

I think where it crosses the line is if the officer had told you that you could not continue. That, unfortunately,is what happens so often when people record or photograph in places where they are legally allowed to be, but the authorities overstep and demand it stop.

That's unfortunate. One man's garbage is another's treasure. I enjoyed the discussions and felt many of the posts were relevant, and insightful. I also invested time and effort reading and contributing - all for naught. Obilviously this is a private board with rules and the mods are entitled to enforce them as they see fit. I will keep that in mind when contributing my perspective and investing my time.

The admins around here are WAY too quick with the closing and/or deleting of threads (IMO, of course).

Reactions: erkme73
I'm more libertarian-minded than most and feel .gov is like cancer.... If you have to have it, you want it as small and localized as possible. That said, IMHO, that was a reasonable contact.

Time of day, and unusual activity certainly raises to the level of reasonable articulable suspicion. Of I were the homeowner, I probably would have welcomed what happened.

I think where it crosses the line is if the officer had told you that you could not continue. That, unfortunately,is what happens so often when people record or photograph in places where they are legally allowed to be, but the authorities overstep and demand it stop.
It was not a home bud and no homes around it.

The admins around here are WAY too quick with the closing and/or deleting of threads (IMO, of course).

IMO I expect this to be your last outburst like this. You would be well advised to spend some time re-reading the Community Rules which you agreed to when you joined this form.

You have a PM waiting with additional information pertinent to you sir.

Allen

IMO I expect this to be your last outburst like this. You would be well advised to spend some time re-reading the Community Rules which you agreed to when you joined this form.

You have a PM waiting with additional information pertinent to you sir.

Allen

Sir,

I wouldn't really call my one sentence comment an "outburst." I didn't go on some long tirade cussing at anyone about this place and it's mods and their practices. I didn't realize that you guys were so strict about commenting on these types of things. I would think doing so would make people think my point is that much more valid?

Just re-read the rules and found #9. Got it.

I'll go check my PM's now.

Refusing to comply doesn't win you a pass, it gets you the cuffs. If they want you, you are going one way or the other, and it is 100% THEIR choice.
Nonsense. It forces them to actually charge you and state the crime. Anything less leaves them open to a civil suit. The bogus charges you can challenge. Just going along is making you subservient for no good reason.
What's criminal is taking the stand that this is somehow ok. It's not. Badge heavy cops need to have the lines drawn plainly so they don't harass and attempt intimidation.

Reactions: erkme73
I'm fairly confident that we've all been "DUPED" by the OP of this thread.

Reactions: Thomas B and ac0j
That would be unfortunate - I rather like trusting my fellow man.
However... I can see that it trailed off abruptly - similar to that other thread about an arrest. Seems that wasn't all that long ago.

That would be unfortunate - I rather like trusting my fellow man.
However... I can see that it trailed off abruptly - similar to that other thread about an arrest. Seems that wasn't all that long ago.

No sir both are recent. I see a pattern developing I'm afraid.

Reactions: Thomas B
So I am in a parking lot as we speak. Taking video of an airplane that is like a memorial but no one is around. No airports and they are trying to figure if they want to arrest me for trespassing or wrote a ticket because I have a service animal.

This is public property owned by the state. So now let's see what happens. They are coming back. I'll fill u guys in when this is overView attachment 72120View attachment 72121View attachment 72122
There's a nice little brewery just South of there. It is a busy intersection though, I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Still reading through this thread so maybe it's already been answered.

There's a nice little brewery just South of there. It is a busy intersection though, I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Still reading through this thread so maybe it's already been answered.
Can’t remember if it was or not. Thread was started in 2018
and op has been long gone and last post was in May so ya
kinda late to the party but enjoy reading the thread. :)

Reactions: CAG
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markshsv