DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getting arrested. But found a cool spot

Thanks for the help bud, I have never had a problem with chandler police before. They are usually very cool. I even helped them in a SAR mission a while ago when someone was lost and I found them so I am very confused about this.

Thanks for the help bud, I have never had a problem with chandler police before. They are usually very cool. I even helped them in a SAR mission a while ago when someone was lost and I found them so I am very confused about this.
Should see him this pm. Will post comments here, although as you can surmise they will likely be limited.

Welcome to the club!

Not many of us have been arrested for flying a drone when it was lawful to do so.

I was cuffed and stuffed under similar circumstances, had my drone,
iPad, and personal cell phone confiscated and issued a citation.

Prosecutor refused to authorize the charge.

The park where this happened still refuses to follow the law and bans drones. (Michigan law reads that local governments shall not do that)

I formed a coalition of other drone enthusiasts. We’ve send email, made phone calls, attended meetings, petitioned the attorney general, and now we are going to court to get a judge to order the park to follow state law.

It’s silly because their stubbornness is going to cost tax payers piles of money and make the politicians have to go to lots of special meetings.

In the end, we’re still going to fly drones in the parks.

Reactions: Shon and Rpeeps
Yikes. It is stories like this are why I try to find decreet places to take off from, and usually control from within my jeep if there are people around. I try to make it hard to figure out who is controlling the drone until I land and pick it up. (Not saying you did anything wrong!) Just saying you have to avoid jerks, even ignorant cops. Which stinks.

Reactions: dfb
Refusing to comply doesn't win you a pass, it gets you the cuffs. If they want you, you are going one way or the other, and it is 100% THEIR choice.
The only time a person can be detailed (required to go with the police officer) is if the person is under arrested or suspected of a crime. As the person mentioned nothing about being arrested (you'd not be "detained" to the police department... detaining is just that), it appears he voluntarily went with the officer.

The only time a person can be detailed (required to go with the police officer) is if the person is under arrested or suspected of a crime. As the person mentioned nothing about being arrested (you'd not be "detained" to the police department... detaining is just that), it appears he voluntarily went with the officer.
Likely the best choice given circumstances.

@jaysrmc - Son in law had no insights based on information from this thread. He questioned proximity to the nearby railroad tracks, but doubts if that was an issue. He had not heard of the issue/ events above. Sorry.

I complied bud. 100 percent complied with everything they said. Arguing and being a jerk will get you arrested. I don't know if you misread something bud but I complied with the officers 100 percent.
You did right, I was responding to @tcope trying to tell you "they cant do that" which is BS.

The problem with law enforcement in the USA is there are about 18,000 different agencies and no common standards of professionalism. Therefore the quality of officers varies widely from one place to the next. I am sure there are very many highly professional police officers, and as I have not spent very much time in the States I have little experience of dealing with any officer, but I have also seen from many videos on YouTube and programmes on television, behavior which is shocking and would seriously put me off visiting the country again.

Happy to hear that at least the supervising officer knew something of the law pertaining to drones. I will avoid flying in Chandler for now. Gilbert police have approached me once, asked what I was doing, and we had a cordial conversation after I pointed out my M2P about 250’ up and 500’ out (brought her home before the conversation). They said it was OK to fly there over fields of crops and major drainage channel.
Have a son on Chandler PD. I think I’ll discuss the Chandler drone situation and city ordinances with him.

Great idea. Once I get my drone and license I intend to offer a free, 1-hour briefing and Q&A with an FAA inspector assisting me. The audience? Our local county police.

I think the police are respectable people and it’s up to us to foster good relations and an understanding of FAA regs and local ordinances with our guys and gals in blue.

Excellent, from your side of the story you did absolutely nothing wrong and you were very cooperative. There is so much education Law Enforcement and the General Public should learn, but there is also some gray areas that can be confusing. Being cooperative will always work in your favor, being a complete Jerk 10 outta 10 times will make things worse, glad you kept your composure!

Reactions: BigAl07 and Smalls
You did right, I was responding to @tcope trying to tell you "they cant do that" which is BS.
It's not BS. If you think a person can be detained without being arrested or suspected of a crime or that a person can be made to go with police without being arrested then you clearly don't understand the US Constitution or basic criminal law.

How the OP wanted to address his situation was up to him. I might do the same. But does it make much sense to allow the police to take you to the PD while they attempt to find something to charge you with? If they suspect a person of a crime but are not sure, they confirm the person's identity and can later either serve the person a citation or mail it to him or her. Sometimes it is not a good idea to voluntarily give up your Constitutional rights.

Reactions: Brojon and Rpeeps
Old school cops (probably like the sergeant) know these kind of cops. If you know any of the sergeant style cops. They'll even point out the "Little brains, little authority... Big trouble" ones.
If you argue with them it fuels their fire. As much as you hate to, best to defuse these guys.
That said... there are PLENTY of good ones out there

Reactions: Racin8de
Rule of thumb is as soon as an officer starts asking questions that are obviously official ask if you are under arrest, and if they say anything other than yes book it.

The problem with law enforcement in the USA is there are about 18,000 different agencies and no common standards of professionalism. Therefore the quality of officers varies widely from one place to the next. I am sure there are very many highly professional police officers, and as I have not spent very much time in the States I have little experience of dealing with any officer, but I have also seen from many videos on YouTube and programmes on television, behavior which is shocking and would seriously put me off visiting the country again.
I agree, I live five miles from a department, it took them 1 and a half hrs to get to a shooter threat at my home, luckily the drunk caller never showed him.

That location is about 2.6 miles from Chandler Municipal airport (KCHD). A quick call to the tower there would be in order.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
capitalinguists