DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getting NFZ Permission

Lets Fly

Reactions
I went to video my daughter rowing in a quad scull on our local river. I was blocked from taking off because of the proximity to a local airport. I have to get the release from DJI for the 24 hour allowed time .
I was under the impression we can never fly over sports activities, but last night at my grandkids track meet a drone was flying over the field and athletes. I noticed where it landed and went over to question the guy flying the Mavic Spark. I was told his mother was the school photographer and he had permission from the school to do the events along with baseball games and other sports. This is something I want to do at our school and will talk and explain how things work to the athletic director and see if it's ok, and that they could have some great videos from a different perspective. I was wondering if that over rides FAA rules as long as the school gives permission, just as DJI gives its release? This is GEO Zone I am sure.

Last edited:
I would think that if he asked permission, he should be good. May not be a good idea to fly around the people, but his choice.

You are allowed to film sports, although you may still want to get the organizers permission. It is mainly the large sport stadiums that have the NFZ during games. I wouldn’t recommend flying over people though, as you would need a waiver from the FAA. As long as you are not flying directly over people and notified the airport (if you are flying within 5 miles of it), it should be fine.

If you have a part 107 license, and are flying commercially you should check the airspace as you may need FAA authorization. This likely doesn’t apply to you though as it sounds like you’re flying recreationally.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I went to video my daughter rowing in a quad scull on our local river. I was blocked from taking off because of the proximity to a local airport. I have to get the release from DJI for the 24 hour allowed time .
I was under the impression we can never fly over sports activities, but last night at my grandkids track meet a drone was flying over the field and athletes. I noticed where it landed and went over to question the guy flying the Mavic Spark. I was told his mother was the school photographer and he had permission from the school to do the events along with baseball games and other sports. This is something I want to do at our school and will talk and explain how things work to the athletic director and see if it's ok, and that they could have some great videos from a different perspective. I was wondering if that over rides FAA rules as long as the school gives permission, just as DJI gives its release? This is GEO Zone I am sure.

Please review the safety policies for established Community Based Organizations, i.e., the AMA, for non-Part 107 flyers.
Part 107 flyers should already know the various rules applicable to them as per the FAA.

The FAA designates NFZs for venues such as NFL stadiums, they do not establish NFZs for local school activities. The school district most likely controls take of and landing only on their property, they do NOT have authority to prohibit flight through the above air space. The FAA has exclusive jurisdiction of all airspace in the USA! It is NOT illegal to fly OVER an activity area. What you may NOT do is fly over persons or occupied moving vehicles! At least without the approved Part 107 CoW from FAA. The school may NOT grant you permission to do that! That is strictly an FAA issue!

You may take off and land in school activity areas (with the school district approval) as long as you do NOT violate any FAA rules. Again, take off and landing is the issue, not over flight! I would recommend a written coordination with the local school board for the take off/landing on school property. I further recommend doing some home work that you may present to the board as well. i.e., FAA holding jurisdiction of ALL airspace in the US. Be polite, prepare a plan ahead of time, make sure you present your Part 107 Certificate as well, because if you are planning to photo/video a school activity, that sure as heck smacks of 107 work!

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slitsling69