DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getting ready to purchase DJI Mavic Pro

Great choice - enjoy - best advice I give every new drone owner is start slow - baby steps - take your time - practice blind landings as much as you can - dont use sport mode unless you need it to get your drone home in high winds - good luck.

Like you, I was new to drones, up until this past January. I started to look at a new Spark and Mavic Air. I wanted something that I wouldn't want to upgrade soon. I wanted a 3 axis gimbal and good battery life. I wanted a drone more for videoing / photography, than for flying around. I read a lot of reviews on the Mavic Air and there were quite a few that commented on losing the signal when flying in a high wifi'd areas (residential?). Some at less than 1000 ft. Then I started looking at the Mavic Pro 1. It had everything that I wanted, 3 axis gimbal / good battery life and Occusync. But a new one was out of my price range. So I looked on Craigslist (Mavic Pilots also has the Classifieds) and found a used Mavic Pro Combo. It was 5 months old (saw the receipt) and only had 4 hours of flight time. It had 3 batteries, extra props, cables, DJI bag, 128GB MicroSD. I got it for $625 and it's like new. I've had it for 3 months and couldn't be happier. It's easy to fly, but I still get nervous every time. It takes amazing videos. I can't believe how steady the videos are, even when it's windy. There is a lot to learn for all of the setting (camera, gimbal smoothness, yaw smoothness .....) to get it for your liking. Like I said, I'm new to drones and don't know much about all of the others, but the Mavic Pro is fantastic. Keep up with the Mavic Pilot Forums. There are a lot of very knowledgeable flyers on here that are more than willing to help. Good luck with whatever you get.

So is there a benefit to flying by wifi as opposed to occusync? Or, what exactly am I missing or not understanding?
OccuSync allows for a stronger signal that is able to reach further. Here's a comparison:

If you're only going to fly within VLOS (as far as you can see with your eyes), then a model that uses Wi-Fi (like the Spark and Mavic Air) might be a good fit for you. If your goal is to fly long distances, then a model that uses OccuSync would be a better choice.

I wouldn't recommend choosing a drone based solely on the transmission system. You can compare other important specs between the above models here:

DJI Consumer Drone Comparison

If you know anyone who has drones, you should go fly with them. I demo drones to people pretty much every time I go out flying. You can then feel for yourself what the differences are.

Agree! With similar intro to drones, when I was shopping I visited a local group flying near me, mostly pros, with all kinds of drones that particular day. They talked to me a lot about their drones, and two of them actually handed me their controllers to test fly, even though I am a beginner. Flew the Inspire (way out of budget for me) and the M2P that day, and it cemented my decision to go with the M2P. Haven’t had any trouble with it, and not even a nano second’s regret, except that weather and work have severely limited my flying time.

Reactions: Former Member
Hi everyone,

So I am new to drones. My kids got me a toy drone ( Propel cloud master ) for Christmas. I did not think I was going to take to it but I was sure wrong I have been really having a blast with it. So now I want to take it up a notch and am shopping for the DJI Mavic Pro and am really excited about getting it. I have been watching a lot of drone videos on youtube particularly the Ready Set Drone channel.Does anybody have any thoughts good or bad about their DJI Mavic Pro experiences? Looking forward to chatting with you all.
Welcome to a great hobby and you'll love it ?

Agree! With similar intro to drones, when I was shopping I visited a local group flying near me, mostly pros, with all kinds of drones that particular day. They talked to me a lot about their drones, and two of them actually handed me their controllers to test fly, even though I am a beginner. Flew the Inspire (way out of budget for me) and the M2P that day, and it cemented my decision to go with the M2P. Haven’t had any trouble with it, and not even a nano second’s regret, except that weather and work have severely limited my flying time.
Yeah I hate when life gets in the way of my play time too lol.

OccuSync allows for a stronger signal that is able to reach further. Here's a comparison:

View attachment 71644

If you're only going to fly within VLOS (as far as you can see with your eyes), then a model that uses Wi-Fi (like the Spark and Mavic Air) might be a good fit for you. If your goal is to fly long distances, then a model that uses OccuSync would be a better choice.

I wouldn't recommend choosing a drone based solely on the transmission system. You can compare other important specs between the above models here:

DJI Consumer Drone Comparison
Thanks for the chart. I also posted earlier about wanting to use it on vacations or hiking and sending it into places I may not be able to get to Occusync may be the way to go for me.

I also posted earlier about wanting to use it on vacations or hiking and sending it into places I may not be able to get to Occusync may be the way to go for me.
You might want to also consider attaching a tracker like the Marco Polo (or one of these trackers) in case your lose your drone in one of those areas.

Reactions: Thomas B
Mavic Pro is good for beginners and advanced pilots. Autel Evo is another good brand. Most phones can handle. 4K video so why not get the Mavic Pro.

I have a Mavic Pro 1 which I've owned for 7 months. I absolutely love it and had no issues with it so far. I wasn't in to drones or anything RC before. It was watching a few Drone Pilots Youtube vids which got me in to the hobby to be honest,

This applies to any drone you buy, but I recommend reading the Manual and watching a few Youtube tutorials on how to use it before taking it out. It will save you a lot of hassle.

Once you have the basics nailed down, it's a joy to fly. Thumbswayup

If I were u mavic zoom u can’t beat the zoom lens plus watch as many u tube videos as u can on anything and everything about the drone know your limits it’s a very powerful drone but mid use can lead to crash or worse so if you’re looking to get one don’t just get it to upgrade later I’m glad I got the zoom bc with mavic pro ur just gonna want that extra range later also mavic 2 a little too much for what I need it for not trying to edit in post then zoom is the way to go plus battery life is excellent

My 2 cents:

I've flown phantoms for several years and recently upgraded to a Mavic 2 Pro. Some comments:
  • The obstacle avoidance is fantastic. I used to say "you'll always have at least one big crash with your drone, costing you hundreds in repairs", and while that's still possible now, it's much less likely.
  • If you care about the highest-end photography, the camera in this is worth it over the MPP. But if you're not a finicky photographer, you will probably be happy with the lesser cameras.
  • The build quality is also impressive. If you can see an MPP next to an M2P, you might see this as well.
  • Previous comments about budget are right-on though. I went over-budget on the M2P at about $1,500. But to be honest -- after all other purchases (more batteries, big monitor mount and hood, backpack, hood, alternate gimbal cover, etc. etc.), it was actually closer to $2,500. Just saying: having the craft with the shipped supplies and a single battery only is probably not the end of your spending.
Have fun/

If you are not going to shoot video professionally get the Mavic Air.

Some of we more avid / ardent photographers want a better camera, even if we aren't commercial. Just sayin'.

The difference in photo image quality between the two is not small.

Chris

Hi everyone,

So I am new to drones. My kids got me a toy drone ( Propel cloud master ) for Christmas. I did not think I was going to take to it but I was sure wrong I have been really having a blast with it. So now I want to take it up a notch and am shopping for the DJI Mavic Pro and am really excited about getting it. I have been watching a lot of drone videos on youtube particularly the Ready Set Drone channel.Does anybody have any thoughts good or bad about their DJI Mavic Pro experiences? Looking forward to chatting with you all.
I was caught between the Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom. I decided on the zoom. I can get great shots both video and stills by zooming into the subject.
This way it keeps me away fro Miss Busy Body who is peeping out the window looking for something she can report.

Well I saw comparisons of the pro vs the Mavic2 and aside form about 3-4 minutes of extra flight time and a few decibels quieter there is not much of a difference between the two from what I have read. Do you have more?
All around obstacle avoidance as opposed to fwd only. Hasselblad camera.

Reactions: Donnie
Thanks for the chart. I also posted earlier about wanting to use it on vacations or hiking and sending it into places I may not be able to get to Occusync may be the way to go for me.
whichever you choose I recommend the DJI care refresh which you must buy within 48 hours and you will be glad you did after your first crash

I went with the mavic 2 pro zoom and love everything it offers. I really like the quite props, and the ability to zoom in on a subject matter from overhead at 200 feet high. The wildlife do not hear it and you get great pictures. I can fly it in tripod mode and it ovoids most everything. It seems like you could fly with your eyes closed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3