DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getting ready to purchase DJI Mavic Pro

Hat-Trick

Reactions
Hi everyone,

So I am new to drones. My kids got me a toy drone ( Propel cloud master ) for Christmas. I did not think I was going to take to it but I was sure wrong I have been really having a blast with it. So now I want to take it up a notch and am shopping for the DJI Mavic Pro and am really excited about getting it. I have been watching a lot of drone videos on youtube particularly the Ready Set Drone channel.Does anybody have any thoughts good or bad about their DJI Mavic Pro experiences? Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Reactions: Hauptmann
First ... Welcome to the forum!

My advice to ensure the best experience is to fly beginner mode until you are comfortable with controls/modes, practice using the “pause” button so hitting it will be second nature when something seems amiss and you need a minute to think, and to download and read the entire manual from the DJI site being sure you understand it (the one that is printed in the box is less than incomplete).
Of course, be sure to register the bird with FAA if you’re U.S. based.
Cheers!

I've had a Mavic Pro for over 2 years now and I'm closing in on 600 miles of flight distance. I've not had any problems hardware wise with the MP, the goggles (which I love) or the CrystalSky. The only problem I've had is with the latest firmware release and I just backed up a release to solve that. I'm looking at upgrading to a M2P someday, but I'm holding off due to some of the problems I've seen reported (and the fact I have kids in college!).

I've travelled all over the country flying and I can definitely say that owning the MP brings a new perspective to my life. I'd say if you like your Propel, you're going to love the MP.

My kids got me a toy drone ( Propel cloud master ) for Christmas. I did not think I was going to take to it but I was sure wrong I have been really having a blast with it. So now I want to take it up a notch and am shopping for the DJI Mavic Pro. Does anybody have any thoughts good or bad about their DJI Mavic Pro experiences?

Have you thought about what you are going to be doing with the Mavic Pro? The reason why I ask is that while the Mavic Pro is a great drone, and a good bang for the buck, do you really need Occusync and a 4k, 3 axis gimbal camera? If you dont need all that the Mavic has, the Spark is a great, low priced alternative. If you will be just flying it close by, and want something cheaper, the Spark fits that bill.

The Mavic Pro is a great drone for $699 or thereabouts. You cant go wrong with it. The Mavic Air is an in-between for around $599. So If I were you, I would first decide which features you want, and which ones you can live without, and then make an informed buying decision.

Have you thought about what you are going to be doing with the Mavic Pro? I would first decide which features you want, and which ones you can live without, and then make an informed buying decision.
I agree with what Thunderdrones said. Even look into racing drones to see if you want more of a sport flying quad. I have more fun with racing type drones but my MP is great for photographic shots.

Have you thought about what you are going to be doing with the Mavic Pro? The reason why I ask is that while the Mavic Pro is a great drone, and a good bang for the buck, do you really need Occusync and a 4k, 3 axis gimbal camera? If you dont need all that the Mavic has, the Spark is a great, low priced alternative. If you will be just flying it close by, and want something cheaper, the Spark fits that bill.

The Mavic Pro is a great drone for $699 or thereabouts. You cant go wrong with it. The Mavic Air is an in-between for around $599. So If I were you, I would first decide which features you want, and which ones you can live without, and then make an informed buying decision.
Hey, thanks for your input I really appreciate it. I have looked at Spark and Air and the things that sway me towards the Mavic Pro is 1. The Occusync, the Spark and Air are wifi connect and I may be trying to fly in areas that may not have a wifi signal. 2. Flight times I like the fact that the Mavic Pro has a longer flight duration than the Spark and Air. 3. As far as what I want to use the 4k camera and 3 axis gimble, just for taking great flight footage if I am out hiking or on vacation someplace I can send it out to where I can't get to. And most importantly I go big or I go home lol. Thanks for all your advice I appreciate it as for now the Mavic Pro is my front runner.

I've had a Mavic Pro for over 2 years now and I'm closing in on 600 miles of flight distance. I've not had any problems hardware wise with the MP, the goggles (which I love) or the CrystalSky. The only problem I've had is with the latest firmware release and I just backed up a release to solve that. I'm looking at upgrading to a M2P someday, but I'm holding off due to some of the problems I've seen reported (and the fact I have kids in college!).

I've travelled all over the country flying and I can definitely say that owning the MP brings a new perspective to my life. I'd say if you like your Propel, you're going to love the MP.
Thanks for your insight ( I have kids in college too I feel your pain lol ) I have heard all good about the Mavic Pro and is currently at the top of my list.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
First ... Welcome to the forum!

My advice to ensure the best experience is to fly beginner mode until you are comfortable with controls/modes, practice using the “pause” button so hitting it will be second nature when something seems amiss and you need a minute to think, and to download and read the entire manual from the DJI site being sure you understand it (the one that is printed in the box is less than incomplete).
Of course, be sure to register the bird with FAA if you’re U.S. based.
Cheers!
Hey thanks for all your advice. And, everything you mentioned is everything on my "to do" list before I take it out to really let it "stretch its legs" so to speak. Just looking forward to diving into it and having some fun.

Reactions: Thomas B
The Occusync, the Spark and Air are wifi connect and I may be trying to fly in areas that may not have a wifi signal
Flying in locations that have no or light Wi-Fi traffic is actually preferred when flying the Spark or Mavic Air. The Wi-Fi connection is between the aircraft and remote controller. You don't actually need to connect them to a Wi-Fi network that has an Internet connection to fly.

And most importantly I go big or I go home

If you really want the latest and greatest, and want to go big, look into the Mavic 2 Zoom or Pro. If you buy one of them, you will not be one-upped by anything DJI makes for at least a year or two.

The Mavic Pro is a great drone, but DJI made it perfect with the Mavic 2. I hope you dont have insomnia. These buying decisions keep people up at night sometimes.

Flying in locations that have no or light Wi-Fi traffic is actually preferred when flying the Spark or Mavic Air. The Wi-Fi connection is between the aircraft and remote controller. You don't actually need to connect them to a Wi-Fi network that has an Internet connection to fly.
So is there a benefit to flying by wifi as opposed to occusync? Or, what exactly am I missing or not understanding?

If you really want the latest and greatest, and want to go big, look into the Mavic 2 Zoom or Pro. If you buy one of them, you will not be one-upped by anything DJI makes for at least a year or two.

The Mavic Pro is a great drone, but DJI made it perfect with the Mavic 2. I hope you dont have insomnia. These buying decisions keep people up at night sometimes.
Well I saw comparisons of the pro vs the Mavic2 and aside form about 3-4 minutes of extra flight time and a few decibels quieter there is not much of a difference between the two from what I have read. Do you have more?

Well I saw comparisons of the pro vs the Mavic2 and aside form about 3-4 minutes of extra flight time and a few decibels quieter there is not much of a difference between the two from what I have read. Do you have more?

Maybe... heres a thread from yesterday.

Another thing, buy the best drone you can buy, but dont exceed your budget. If you dont have a budget, get the M2. Hands down the nicest drone I own, and I fly many different drones every day. (now I sound like a DJI commercial)
You do sound like a commercial lol j/k. Well right now I am just doing research before I commit to something I figure I'll commit in June after I have done enough research for myself. Thank you for all your input and suggestions.

360 degree sensors (in most modes) for both M2s, but the Hasselbad camera on the M2P made my decision. Shop it while you’re considering... I lucked into my M2P NIB and shipped for $1k even right here on the forum. Still the MPP is a great bird and I also still fly it.

Last edited:
You do sound like a commercial lol j/k. Well right now I am just doing research before I commit to something I figure I'll commit in June after I have done enough research for myself. Thank you for all your input and suggestions.

If you know anyone who has drones, you should go fly with them. I demo drones to people pretty much every time I go out flying. You can then feel for yourself what the differences are.

I have a Mavic Pro 1 and absolutely love it. However, go big or go home would say Mavic 2 Pro for sure. Better camera and obstacle avoidance just to name a couple features. Just make sure to get a fly more combo or at least extra batteries.

If you know anyone who has drones, you should go fly with them. I demo drones to people pretty much every time I go out flying. You can then feel for yourself what the differences are.
I have one friend who is interested in buying one also, but unfortunately I do not know anybody that is an avid flier/hobbyist.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan