DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using a Spark, Mavic Pro, and an M2Z. An observation.

Former Member

Reactions
I was out having fun today, and brought out 3 drones to fly, shooting some Dukes of Hazzard get together stuff. I brought 3 drones because its always good to have a backup drone if its something important you're shooting.

Fist up was the Spark, and I used it first because it's the noisiest, and I wanted to shoot while there werent too many people there. The Spark is superb for close-in aerial work. Wifi video feed is just fine, 1080 works for me, and its fun and stable to fly. Stayed up for 13 minutes and after I landed a couple of kids came over and wanted to see the "little green drone." Thats perfect, because people arent scared of it, and it looks like a toy. Little do they know what you can do with it.

Next up was the Mavic Pro. It's been my grab and go-to bird for everything since 2016. To me, the MP is not as noisy as the Spark, but it's bigger, and when people see it, they know to steer clear. It really shines in shooting, but I prefer to be 100-200 feet up with it because I dont want to scare anyone. Everything is just so easy to use on it, its stable, and battery life is great. I dont use low noise props, so thats why I like to fly a little bit higher up.

Enter the Mavic 2 Zoom. Within 30 seconds of taking off, I just said to myself, "what do I need any other drones for?" I know many people will agree with me on that one. It just does everything well, with very few compromises. Stable, smooth, solid as a rock in the wind, and just an absolute pleasure to own. DJI just did it right. When I was flying the Spark and the Mavic Pro, everyone knew where the drones were because of the prop noise. I was flying the Mavic 2 Zoom, and 2 of the Dukes cast members were chatting with me, and they said, "oh, hey youre the drone guy. Wheres your drone?" I pointed it out to them, and it was less than 20 feet in front of us. They couldnt believe how quiet it was. They both smiled and waved. Unfortunately the camera was pointing away from us, but they didnt know that!

Moral of the story, I love all my drones. Im glad I brought them all today. But I think I love my Mavic 2 Zoom more than ever before.

That’s the next drone for me. The zoom. I like it in all ways. But then I’ll have to give up the platinum. “Wife factor”. Lol.

The Platinum is a great drone. I know alot of people who own a Platinum + a Mavic 2. Yes, the wife factor is always there, but maybe you can sell something else she doesnt like, so she wont get mad at you for buying another drone.

Thanks for reminding me of the Spark [emoji6].
I’m going to Moab, and am taking the MP , Zoom AND the Spark [emoji298]️ now[emoji16]. I always forget about the little guy [emoji5].

Reactions: razoraerial
That’s the next drone for me. The zoom. I like it in all ways. But then I’ll have to give up the platinum. “Wife factor”. Lol.

Get the Zoom/Pro with two controllers and have your wife join in on the fun[emoji6].
We’re going on a trip in a few days and my wife is going to try her hands at Flying too [emoji16]

Have to agree... My M2P has become my go to drone, although I still use my Spark for shots around the house with family... the photographer gets to be in the picture! I have begun to wonder if it’s time to sell my MPP. I already have the starter drones for my grandkids to use in a year or so.

Reactions: Former Member
Coupled with the smart controller, as good a rig as you can have at the moment

Coupled with the smart controller, as good a rig as you can have at the moment

I intentionally did not use my Smartcontroller for a variety of reasons. I used my good old 9+ because I knew I was going to fly multiple aircraft so the SC was out of the question. I also used Litchi for some shots. Cant use Litchi with the SC, so it just sat at home.

If anyone wants to see my opinion on the Smartcontroller, here is the thread:

What specific shots did you use Litchi for ?
I've owned the Spark for 18 months and recently found a great deal on the MP Alpine Combo but I sent it back because I just couldn't get used to the "tilted" horizon as soon as you rotate, even very slowly. Since the M2Z doesn't seem to exhibit that problem I may give a try later...but then there's the bulk, so maybe the Air then ;-)

Reactions: Former Member
I was out having fun today, and brought out 3 drones to fly, shooting some Dukes of Hazzard get together stuff. I brought 3 drones because its always good to have a backup drone if its something important you're shooting.

Fist up was the Spark, and I used it first because it's the noisiest, and I wanted to shoot while there werent too many people there. The Spark is superb for close-in aerial work. Wifi video feed is just fine, 1080 works for me, and its fun and stable to fly. Stayed up for 13 minutes and after I landed a couple of kids came over and wanted to see the "little green drone." Thats perfect, because people arent scared of it, and it looks like a toy. Little do they know what you can do with it.

Next up was the Mavic Pro. It's been my grab and go-to bird for everything since 2016. To me, the MP is not as noisy as the Spark, but it's bigger, and when people see it, they know to steer clear. It really shines in shooting, but I prefer to be 100-200 feet up with it because I dont want to scare anyone. Everything is just so easy to use on it, its stable, and battery life is great. I dont use low noise props, so thats why I like to fly a little bit higher up.

Enter the Mavic 2 Zoom. Within 30 seconds of taking off, I just said to myself, "what do I need any other drones for?" I know many people will agree with me on that one. It just does everything well, with very few compromises. Stable, smooth, solid as a rock in the wind, and just an absolute pleasure to own. DJI just did it right. When I was flying the Spark and the Mavic Pro, everyone knew where the drones were because of the prop noise. I was flying the Mavic 2 Zoom, and 2 of the Dukes cast members were chatting with me, and they said, "oh, hey youre the drone guy. Wheres your drone?" I pointed it out to them, and it was less than 20 feet in front of us. They couldnt believe how quiet it was. They both smiled and waved. Unfortunately the camera was pointing away from us, but they didnt know that!

Moral of the story, I love all my drones. Im glad I brought them all today. But I think I love my Mavic 2 Zoom more than ever before.
Hey thanks for the link Thunderdrones. That was a real good read so you use your drones for work? You work in the movie business I take it? I will definitely take a look the MP2 Zoom as well too.

Hey thanks for the link Thunderdrones. That was a real good read so you use your drones for work? You work in the movie business I take it? I will definitely take a look the MP2 Zoom as well too.

Youre welcome. No, I dont work in the movie business, but I do use drones for work every day. I repair and test fly them, and from my point of view, there is just no better drone for the money right now than the Mavic 2 Zoom and Mavic 2 Pro.

If I were just starting out in drones, or upgrading from a lower end to a higher end drone, I would want one that has as much obstacle avoidance as possible. If price were not an object, there would be no question that I would buy a Mavic 2. In Tripod mode, it is extremely difficult to crash it, or hit anything. It flies super smooth, and predictably right out of the box, and doesnt need any upgrades to it.

I might be jaded and spoiled by the M2, but its such a great product, that even an experienced pilot like me appreciates it.

One more word of advice. If you want to be a little more relaxed when you fly, buy insurance, and dont spool the motors up without it. DJI has Refresh, and State Farm has PAP in many states in the USA. If I were just buying a new drone, I would never fly without it.

What specific shots did you use Litchi for ?
I've owned the Spark for 18 months and recently found a great deal on the MP Alpine Combo but I sent it back because I just couldn't get used to the "tilted" horizon as soon as you rotate, even very slowly. Since the M2Z doesn't seem to exhibit that problem I may give a try later...but then there's the bulk, so maybe the Air then ;-)

I want to tell you that its a testament to your flying ability that you have been flying and using a Spark for 18 months. The Spark is a great drone, and if it fits your bill, then thats great. Some people rush out and spend thousands, but if they could get a $400 Spark to do what you want , no need to spend more. Congrats on keeping and flying it for so long.

Some Mavic Pro/Platinums have a slow response to returning to horizon than others do. Personally, maybe 1 out of 10 Mavic Pros that I fly have slow response gimbals. In those that do, I just yaw more slowly, and understand the quirks of the bird. Its all gyro stabilized, and trying to make your life easier.

By the way, The Alpine White is a Mavic Pro Platinum with a different color scheme. Its a great drone, but hard to find parts for if you are a DIY kind of guy.

Mavic 2's gimbals will also be slow to return to horizontal if you yaw too fast. Anything that is gyro stabilized is going to do that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive