DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI smart controller; my opinion

I would never go back to my Ipad after using the Smart Controller. The awkwardness and out of balance feel of the Ipad attached directly to the original controller or using an aftermarket Ipad holder is far less comfortable than the Smart Controller. The Apple products Ipad or phone are almost impossible to see in direct sunlight regardless of how large the screen is without one of those shield contraptions which causes even a more out of balance feel.

The Smart Controller battery life is excellent, easy to see in direct sunlight and easy and quick to power up and get on with the business of flying. No worry with phone or Ipad battery, receiving a call while working/flying and no cable hanging off the side.

I've used the phone, Ipad and Smart Controller. I'm very happy with the Smart Controller.
I agree with that 100%

Reactions: RogerMav
I agree with that 100%

I agree with that 30%. Have you ever owned a Crystalsky? I think if you are a diehard DJI fan, and just want the best bang for your buck, the CS 7.85" is the WTG.

As for me, my 'droid s9+ is fine, and as for anything being impossible to see in direct sunlight or daylight, I use an umbrella or popup gazebo. A tree always works unless youre in the desert.

One more thing, its not a great idea to stand with any display device in direct sunlight, even if you can see it. It can overheat, and then you will have no display, especially on the SC which has an integrated display, until you land. With a phone or CS, you can detach it if it freezes due to heat, and quickly attach another device. Not recommended to do, but it works in a pinch.

Reactions: Thomas B
I agree with that 100%
I am going to add another vote to the 100% This thing is so easy. You turn it on and it is ready to go. No cabling, no wires, no holders. And it is perfectly balanced. I did use the CrytalSky that my buddy uses with his MPP. I still prefer the SC. He prefers the SC as well. The only edge I give to the smartcontroller is the detachable battery. Having said that though I still prefer the SC because you put it in the bag and that's it. Turn it on {ready to fly} go! Now that it allows you to connect and manage more birds it gets another thumbs up for me. I was on the fence initially but not anymore. SC is awesome.

Reactions: ff22 and RogerMav
I am going to add another vote to the 100% This thing is so easy. You turn it on and it is ready to go. No cabling, no wires, no holders. And it is perfectly balanced. I did use the CrytalSky that my buddy uses with his MPP. I still prefer the SC. He prefers the SC as well. The only edge I give to the smartcontroller is the detachable battery. Having said that though I still prefer the SC because you put it in the bag and that's it. Turn it on {ready to fly} go! Now that it allows you to connect and manage more birds it gets another thumbs up for me. I was on the fence initially but not anymore. SC is awesome.

If it worked with my MP, MA, Spark, and ran Litchi, I would be much more impressed. Does it run Litchi yet?

If it worked with my MP, MA, Spark, and ran Litchi, I would be much more impressed. Does it run Litchi yet?
It apparently still does NOT run Litchi.

But question - I've read a few threads that suggest that the M2 series does not run smoothly curving automated missions with either the internal waypoint process or with Litchi? Have you tested Litchi with either the M2 Zoom or Pro?

Reactions: Former Member
It apparently still does NOT run Litchi.

But question - I've read a few threads that suggest that the M2 series does not run smoothly curving automated missions with either the internal waypoint process or with Litchi? Have you tested Litchi with either the M2 Zoom or Pro?

Yes tested and flown many missions with Litchi along with a bunch of others at the DSAR meeting last month. Curved lines seemed fine, missions ran flawlessly, bunch of happy people.

Reactions: ff22
I can see that as an appeal for some. I was skeptical when I took the jump. No longer, I highly advise getting one to anyone on the fence. You won't regret it. I have no complaints. This completely changes the experience.

Reactions: RogerMav
Other, cheaper, options to the Smartcontroller:

If you have the existing M2 bundle, yes, they might be cheaper but the SC bundled with an M2 is a pretty attractive price point. But with the above list you need a standard RC at the very least so add~$249 to each. This cant be an apples to oranges thing, you have to look at the cost in totality; regardless when it was paid for.

Look, i’m New to the whole drone thing but i’ve been in technology for over 30 years; i’ve managed SecOps teams, app dev and now cloud platform engineers so i’m looking at this from a technology perspective and it’s a solid device, i’m sure the Crystalsky is also but what i think people are looking for is that ‘all-in-one’ benefit and you get the CS with a RC in a single package.

As for the complaints:
— Issues... let’s look at this logically, the one common denominator is the device and you have people successfully navigating life with the device without issues, so, logic would say if you’re having problems i’t potentially “something” else, i’m sorry to say, that something else just might be the person and/or the person’s environment. It’s unfair to blame the device nor DJI at this point, i get it, not in all cases but i will bet in most. With all the open source out today can you imagine how hard it is to support a tech product? Even if it is semi locked down. My opinion is technology has a logical flow, if there’s just a single instance of a flawless delivery (update, install, etc.) then the vendor/manufacturer isn’t always at fault, but not here, its ALL DJI’s fault and their “crap support”; that’s where the saying “it’s not me, it you” comes in.

— 3rd party OS/apps... this one gets me as i can see why people want to push the limits but taking my experience into consideration i ask myself why someone would want to run an expensive piece of equipment on a non-native operating system? Especially when it’s not supported, device2OS/APP or vice versa. Are you going to go out to your driveway and load Lexus OS on your Cadillac and then drive it confidentially? Probably not... now, if we’re talking support apps but don't have direct control of your drone, that might make more sense but in the complaints i’ve Read so far it’s to push boundaries of the drone that weren’t necessarily recommended or even should be allowed. Plainly put i don’t consider this a reason/mark against the SC. The CS is also a managed device correct?

We all know the internet has allowed millions of people to pontificate their perception as reality and there’s always a modern day Jim Jones follower that will pick up a pitchfork and torch for the cause whether it’s accurate or not.

If you have the existing M2 bundle, yes, they might be cheaper but the SC bundled with an M2 is a pretty attractive price point. But with the above list you need a standard RC at the very least so add~$249 to each. This cant be an apples to oranges thing, you have to look at the cost in totality; regardless when it was paid for.

"Attractive price points" are subjective. An attractive price point, to me, is buying the M2Z for $1250, and using the 7.85" CS that I use for my other drones, or an iPad mini that most members use for their other drones, or my S9+ that is bigger than the SC and less bulky. So, no additional cost of $249, in fact, a cost savings of $249+.

Look, i’m New to the whole drone thing but i’ve been in technology for over 30 years; i’ve managed SecOps teams, app dev and now cloud platform engineers so i’m looking at this from a technology perspective and it’s a solid device, i’m sure the Crystalsky is also but what i think people are looking for is that ‘all-in-one’ benefit and you get the CS with a RC in a single package.

I dont think people should buy a first-run, all-in-one device if the detriments outweigh the benefits. This is the case for most people who are opting not to downgrade to the Smartcontroller, and keeping what has always worked for them, and continues to work for them. iPad mini, Tab, Android, CS all are proven technologies, bugs have been worked out, and there are countless threads on how to connect, diagnose and efficiently operate them. For new users, I wouldnt touch the Smartcontroller until it has been on the market for a few more months, all the bugs have been ironed out, and even then, consider other options. If you are in tech, then you will know that you never let your customers be the beta testers on a first run device unless they are aware of the bugs, know how to fix it themselves, and are willing to compromise. For first time users, my answer is M2Z and their phone, tab or iPad. KISS.

As for the complaints:

— Issues... let’s look at this logically, the one common denominator is the device and you have people successfully navigating life with the device without issues, so, logic would say if you’re having problems i’t potentially “something” else, i’m sorry to say, that something else just might be the person and/or the person’s environment. It’s unfair to blame the device nor DJI at this point, i get it, not in all cases but i will bet in most.

If you look at all the experienced users comments and reviews, there are only a handful that have successfully navigated the Smartcontroller without issues. Firmware problems, connectivity problems, you name it. These are experienced drone pilots. So, Im guessing that it's not the "person," its the equipment. We are not all engineers, nor should we have to be to use something we just bought. DJI is good at blaming the user when their equipment is not up to par, just look at the recent DJI Assistant debacle. First they didnt acknowledge the problem, then they said you have to use it on a Windows 7 machine until DJI finally got it cleared up. So, best not to blame the "person" when in fact its the equipment thats the problem. In your IT career, if software is glitchy, do you blame the customer? Thats a good way to whittle down your customer list, for sure.

— 3rd party OS/apps... this one gets me as i can see why people want to push the limits but taking my experience into consideration i ask myself why someone would want to run an expensive piece of equipment on a non-native operating system? Especially when it’s not supported, device2OS/APP or vice versa. Are you going to go out to your driveway and load Lexus OS on your Cadillac and then drive it confidentially? Probably not... now, if we’re talking support apps but don't have direct control of your drone, that might make more sense but in the complaints i’ve Read so far it’s to push boundaries of the drone that weren’t necessarily recommended or even should be allowed.

Um, not exactly. Litchi was designed for ease of use, and far surpasses the SC and DJI Go 4 in terms of waypoints, and many other aspects. "Pushing the boundaries" by using Litchi? No, not really. I and my colleagues have thousands of flights using Litchi, and I can tell you that DJI Go 4 has crashed multiple times but Litchi has not. My choice of apps? Litchi comes first, then DJI Go 4, especially in drone search and rescue ops.

Talking about using non supported devices in a car, my car came with Android Auto, which I hate. It is easier for me to just use Google Maps on my S9+. So, using the OEM apps that came with your car or device is not always the best or easiest thing to do.

We all know the internet has allowed millions of people to pontificate their perception as reality and there’s always a modern day Jim Jones follower that will pick up a pitchfork and torch for the cause whether it’s accurate or not.

The whole Jim Jones thing was a tragedy to anyone there who died, and it might not be a good idea for you to reference that sad sequence of events when trying to make a point. Not everyone there was a willing participant or follower, in fact, most were victims and unwilling participants.

Oh, by the way, did you buy the Smartcontroller? I thought from your last post that you bought the goggles, not the SC. Just asking.

Last edited:
When you buy it bundled it’s not that much more. SC is unmatched in convenience. In my opinion its better than all of those choices and worth paying an extra buck. No extra batteries to manage, cords to manage, holder devices to buy, top heavy devices, hood attachments cases blech! Tired of that crap. 1 unit does everything fits in my fly more bag -done! I haven’t used the goggles but I truly would not really use them as an everyday solution anyway.

For work, I can’t use the goggles for my agency it’s written in the policy. Can even swap over to the company enterprise Mavic’s with one click. Home run for my purposes. Highly recommended for minimalist. Will go nicely on my travels this year.

When you buy it bundled it’s not that much more. SC is unmatched in convenience. In my opinion its better than all of those choices and worth paying an extra buck. No extra batteries to manage, cords to manage, holder devices to buy, top heavy devices, hood attachments cases blech! Tired of that crap. 1 unit does everything fits in my fly more bag -done! I haven’t used the goggles but I truly would not really use them as an everyday solution anyway.

For work, I can’t use the goggles for my agency it’s written in the policy. Can even swap over to the company enterprise Mavic’s with one click. Home run for my purposes. Highly recommended for minimalist. Will go nicely on my travels this year.

Can you really squeeze the SC in your Flymore bag? I wouldnt try it. The OEM controller barely fits in there. I dont know anyone who uses the FM bag, they always opt for a hard case or backpack.

Its just not worth the extra money for people who have a good setup already. Also no need for members to sell and probably take a loss on their perfectly good and easy to use devices. There is a learning curve with the SC, and thats another drawback. No need for anyone to have to reinvent the wheel just because they like new tech. The SC is old tech, in a less attractive package. Now, come up with an 8" display, allow it to use downloadable apps, and make it interchangeable between DJI drones, and you might have a winner.

I will tell you I have used the other devices save the goggles and the SC is the best. Ease of use. You have to be kidding. This thing is crazy easy to use. You press the on button on the bird... on button for the controller. It connects in about 5 seconds. You wait to get the green light on GPS. Boom gone. I can truly be in the air in about 30 seconds. I actually slow the process down now because I want to make sure I catch any warning signs before I take off.

Yes it fits easily in my flymore bag with plenty of space to spare. It's not tight. I actually put cloth sleeve in the bag to take up some of the space.

Attachments

• bag.jpg
    bag.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
Reactions: ChuckNorrisUSAF
I only make comments in this post as a user of the device. I don't know where the "problems" lie with the SC. The only issue is the cost as far as I am concerned it does everything. The quality is top notch just like the Mavic 2 Pro. It absoutely is not a downgrade to a tablet or any other device that you have to tether with a cable. Every problem I have had flying has been when I had a disconnected application. Cable came out, app crashed or something else. I could run into an issue if all of the sudden I start having failures with the SC. Not a blip in 3 hours of flight. Not a problem at all updating.

So my comments are for those who are new to the SC. Those that are contemplating whether or not to get the SC. If you want the most convenient solution. Get it! If you want 1 device to do everything. Get it! If you want a super bright screen that doesn't require a backpack or secondary storage bag! Get it. KISS the Smartcontroller is the simpliest of all the option hands down. Turn on the aircraft, turn on the SC. Fly!

I do have one complaint about the SC. The screen is not recessed enough. There is no lip to protect it should you drop it flat on its face. I purchased a glass screen protector and put it on before I turned it on day one. It absolutely does not effect the touch screen. It is super responsive and quick to open and close the apps. I imagine that is because it doesn't have a ton of crap bogging down the OS. Which gets back to my point. Dedicated device for flying. Back to my original point though. Get a screen protector and buy a wrap. DecalGirls has a wrap for the SC. I get mine next week.

Here are the numbers as I see them. Just looked at Amazon so maybe you can find them cheaper but a quick search:

DJI MAVIC 1499 + Goggles 299 = 1798

DJI Mavic Pro with SC = 1899

DJI Mavic 1499 + Ipad Mini 394 + mount 30 = 1923

DJI Mavic 1499 + Crystal Sky 464 + mount 30= 1993

DJI Mavic 1499 + Crystal Sky 7inch 694 + mount 30 = 2223

DJI Mavic 1499 + SC 649 = 2148 (this scenario gives you two TX though)

Seems like if you have already purchased the Mavic 2 Pro there are cheaper routes than the SC. If you already have a great display than obviously its cheaper to keep what you have. If you don't have a serviceable display. It's the cheapest route. For me I needed a new display. My iPad Mini 2 does not work well with Go4. Bundle is a great deal for a new flier.

"Attractive price points" are subjective. An attractive price point, to me, is buying the M2Z for $1250, and using the 7.85" CS that I use for my other drones, or an iPad mini that most members use for their other drones, or my S9+ that is bigger than the SC and less bulky. So, no additional cost of $249, in fact, a cost savings of $249+.

I dont think people should buy a first-run, all-in-one device if the detriments outweigh the benefits. This is the case for most people who are opting not to downgrade to the Smartcontroller, and keeping what has always worked for them, and continues to work for them. iPad mini, Tab, Android, CS all are proven technologies, bugs have been worked out, and there are countless threads on how to connect, diagnose and efficiently operate them. For new users, I wouldnt touch the Smartcontroller until it has been on the market for a few more months, all the bugs have been ironed out, and even then, consider other options. If you are in tech, then you will know that you never let your customers be the beta testers on a first run device unless they are aware of the bugs, know how to fix it themselves, and are willing to compromise. For first time users, my answer is M2Z and their phone, tab or iPad. KISS.

If you look at all the experienced users comments and reviews, there are only a handful that have successfully navigated the Smartcontroller without issues. Firmware problems, connectivity problems, you name it. These are experienced drone pilots. So, Im guessing that it's not the "person," its the equipment. We are not all engineers, nor should we have to be to use something we just bought. DJI is good at blaming the user when their equipment is not up to par, just look at the recent DJI Assistant debacle. First they didnt acknowledge the problem, then they said you have to use it on a Windows 7 machine until DJI finally got it cleared up. So, best not to blame the "person" when in fact its the equipment thats the problem. In your IT career, if software is glitchy, do you blame the customer? Thats a good way to whittle down your customer list, for sure.

Um, not exactly. Litchi was designed for ease of use, and far surpasses the SC and DJI Go 4 in terms of waypoints, and many other aspects. "Pushing the boundaries" by using Litchi? No, not really. I and my colleagues have thousands of flights using Litchi, and I can tell you that DJI Go 4 has crashed multiple times but Litchi has not. My choice of apps? Litchi comes first, then DJI Go 4, especially in drone search and rescue ops.

Talking about using non supported devices in a car, my car came with Android Auto, which I hate. It is easier for me to just use Google Maps on my S9+. So, using the OEM apps that came with your car or device is not always the best or easiest thing to do.

The whole Jim Jones thing was a tragedy to anyone there who died, and it might not be a good idea for you to reference that sad sequence of events when trying to make a point. Not everyone there was a willing participant or follower, in fact, most were victims and unwilling participants.

Oh, by the way, did you buy the Smartcontroller? I thought from your last post that you bought the goggles, not the SC. Just asking.

ok... so we're just going to have to disagree on some points, you really have a passion against this thing and it's strong enough no one is going to change your mind.

on the cost front - Mojo already did the leg work and it was exactly what my point was, not sure how you can look at that and still state the CS is cheaper, BTW - the $1250 INCLUDES the controller so, yes, you paid for it thus you need to account for it in your argument.

fine - you're not an early adopter, and you're in a unique position as you engage the public as a business owner, a expert in the field not only through life experiences but you live in it day to day so you are in a position of authority and your customers will listen. For this reason you should be objective, maybe you think you're being objective, my opinion is you aren't entirely.

Going from the standard controller to the SC is most certainly not a downgrade; now if we personalize this, then yes, for you, it's a downgrade; not everyone has your exact setup.

be careful when referring to people as "experienced users"; experienced in drones and the application of a drone, absolutely, but technologically experienced? i would argue the latter. and you're correct, everything should be stupid-proof, but the beta tester comment is so 1990's tinfoil hat wearer; we have too many environment variables to make a perfect tech product, "Buyer Beware" is a real thing and if there's someone out there that thinks technology will always work perfectly, well then, they're quite misguided; its a fact of our tech lives today, learn, adapt and live with it and it's been like that for years. and if you think Litchi started out perfectly, well then, my apologies... lastly - DJI did their best to create a managed environment so they can do their best to support the product yet people still do what they can to mod, root, etc. and they still want support, this just doesn't make sense to me.

missed my point on Litchi entirely - i don't have any experience with it so i will not opine on if it's better, the same or worse than DJI Go4 but my point was, its not native, plain and simple - it's not designed by the manufacturer, for the device, etc. it's not native thus you are now part of a consequence model; if you choose (see below) to use a non-native OS then you have to accept the consequences. and i'm not sure i think it's right for the experts to push non-native environments that works for them on less knowledgeable and experienced people; hence the posts "my drone crashed while flying Litchi"; they are only following what the big boys are doing so it should always work right? now enter the "pilot is guilty until proven innocent" because it can't possible be the awesome non-native software.

missed my point on the car OS also, i was thinking much deeper than your center console, but your comment is telling, back to the "Power to the People" scenario, not everything can be open source and still provide excellent support- remember that beta tester comment? running off and installing anything you want kinda puts you in that position. anyway - Google maps isn't an OS, but we'll just disagree here. what i don't understand is do you or do you not like Android? didn't you say you have a 9+? nice phone BTW.

on the Jim Jones point -I will not be held accountable for how you interpreted it; was it tragic? absolutely, but they made a choice and thus a consequence; if i load a gun, point it at my foot and pull the trigger am i absolved because it was tragic? no, it was a choice and i have to live with the stub on the end of my ankle that was once my foot. i now understand my audience and going forward i'll use words like lemmings, or blind leading the blind; still you're an expert in this space so people look up to you, i look up to you, heck, i have your website bookmarked; just because i don't agree with your disdain for the smart controller doesn't mean i won't listen to your advice or utilize your services but i will do my research. it's obvious your passion flows and that cool, just be aware of your blindspots and know people are following your words, be as objective as you can be, honestly i think you're about 80% of the way with the SC, just got some hangups.

on March 20th i took delivery of my very first drone (well not really but i don't count the 6 flights with the eHang Ghostdrone 2.0 vr; that was an experience i trying to forget- much lost $$'s) and it was the M2P with the Goggles RE bundle and the standard controller because i though the phone piece would be cool (i have a Xs max). approx 2 dozen flights and being directed to this site by someone on my project team i learned about the SC, and coincidentally the CS; reviews were good on both, yes i saw the "update & Managed OS issues) but the CS was also an managed OS so i opted for the "all-in-one" SC, bought it 2 weeks later. the iPhone simply didn't cut it and i wanted my device to be dedicated.

i like it, it combines everything and while the device is new the components are tested, at the end of the day it's a CS 5.5" and RC hardwired together, i've not laid eyes on nor touched the CS but i'm assuming it's the same, 1k nits, same memory, battery operated, 1080p, not sure the screen is gorilla glass or not and the SC might have an upgraded processor i've not researched it. ultimately the all-in-one is why i went with the SC.

since i received the SC i've done 2 updates (out of the box and the other day) and have not experienced a single update issue, i even factory reset to redo it in an effort to recreate some of the issues i was reading, at the end of the day i only got network error when my device (and laptop BTW) wasn't connected to my wifi/hardwire (duh!); i imagine a spotty connection could give this prompt also or even if you try on cellular/hotspot, my back yard is the everglades. i did the updates with everything i read and saw on video's not to do (SO much BAD information out there), leave the MicroSD inserted, different cables, etc. and i don't think i got a 'perfect' device, back to my aforementioned point, i believe this is on the users - see what i did there? i'm my own worst enemy and said what i hate about this site most "the pilot is guilty until proven innocent and even then it's by someone's (you've never met) accord"

so anyway - i'm endorsing it, yes i'm a neophyte drone pilot, but based on my experience in technology, it's a solid device as long as you have (and to your point i'm not going to say "basic") understanding of how the environment plays into software/firmware updates/installs on a mobile OS; i believe in this so much if anyone that lives within 100 miles of me and is having issues i'll go to their house and assist/troubleshoot and establish a rock solid process that will work in the future, pro-bono. and if you don't want me at your house i'll meet somewhere with wifi or i'll bring a dedicated hotspot (i have both Verizon and AT&T). i simply don't think the issues we're reading are the device nor DJI's; it's environmental and potentially settings (how the MicroSD card is set). Now, if you have modded, rooted or have 3Party files 'forced' on the device; I bet you know what my response is going to be.

So, since this wasnt a poll, but more of a commentary on my part, I think some valid points have been made. A few are happy with the Smart Controller, many arent, and some will actually take delivery and find out for themselves. Im not giving up my nice setup to take a step backward, but thats just me.

I’d argue that many more people are happy with it than are unhappy with it. People tend to speak up at a significantly higher rate when they are unhappy with something than when they are happy with it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007