DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

gimbal broken after crash, looking for fix

mcf3695

Reactions
hi, i own a Mavic 2 Pro that has gimbal issues after a crash. i am looking for fix on my own.
gimbal and camera move only at start up only

i issues with the gimbal are:
1. camera is crooked when startup / self check.
2. have no control over move gimbal movement from contoller or on screen finger touch.

i have disassembled the gimbal and removed and gimbal mother board and checked connections.
i have also changed the gimbal ribbon.

if anyone has experience ion trouble shooting gimbal repair much appreciated.

thinking of replacing motherboard first to troubleshoot no movement from controller.

thank you

Make sure that the gimbal motors are absolutely free to move in all directions from stop to stop.
Fix any slight binding.
Then you will need to download python and the 'dji tools' project from github.
Run the dji tools Jointcourse and Linear hall.
JointCouse finds the gimbal limits. and LinearHall centres the gimbal between the limits.

Motors seem free no friction. The gimbal I believe goes into a reset and moves on it’s own to correct gimbal and stops
Still shows overload on screen…

Last night I was able to get functional control and movement of gimbal after tapping drone and gimbal.
Function control comes and goes.
I just ordered replacement gimbal and camera arm w/ motors, gimbal and camera ribbon. From mainland of China

or should software reset work?

Similar issue with my Mavic Pro.
I was afraid that I too would tackle the fix myself and would not be able to fix after spending lots of time and not insignificant money.
I have decided to send my drone to DJI.
I will let you know what they find.

I get the below notification:

The best and probably only option you will have, is to send the camera and gimbal in for repair to a reputable repair srevice. If the cost is too high or near the value of needing a replacement, just buy a replacement. I've gone through about 3 cameras in 3 years. My last 2 years have been good. No crashes to damage the gimbal. Most of the time, I always ended up buying and entirely new gimbal and camera. Take the old camera and sell it for parts on E-bay to recoup some of your losses.

Reactions: simbaboy
I just ordered replacement gimbal and camera arm w/ motors, gimbal and camera ribbon. From mainland of China

or should software reset work?
If you disassemble the gimbal you must then do a search for maximum extents with JointCourse.
Having established the extents in memory you then run LinearHall to centre the camera between extents.
So yes a software run might fix your problem.

I did a gimbal calibration using Jointcourse and Linealhall code. I followed the directions of a good YouTube video.
the Gimbal did not correct its self or move at all with the programming code.
my next step is the replace the gimbal arm and motor. any other suggestions.

thank you

Last edited:
I did a gimbal calibration using Jointcourse and Linealhall code. I followed the directions of a good YouTube video.
the Gimbal did not correct its self or move at all with the programming code.
my next step is the replace the gimbal arm and motor. any other suggestions.

thank you

If it is free to move in all directions, on all joints from stop to stop, and it did not move at all, then there is a fault.
Sometimes just overtightening a screw can cause a failure.
It could just need correct reassembly but that is grasping at straws.

Make sure that the gimbal motors are absolutely free to move in all directions from stop to stop.
Fix any slight binding.
Then you will need to download python and the 'dji tools' project from github.
Run the dji tools Jointcourse and Linear hall.
JointCouse finds the gimbal limits. and LinearHall centres the gimbal between the limits.
Can I do this on a Mac and are there any explainer videos you know of. I understand there are several steps for the process.

The best and probably only option you will have, is to send the camera and gimbal in for repair to a reputable repair srevice. If the cost is too high or near the value of needing a replacement, just buy a replacement. I've gone through about 3 cameras in 3 years. My last 2 years have been good. No crashes to damage the gimbal. Most of the time, I always ended up buying and entirely new gimbal and camera. Take the old camera and sell it for parts on E-bay to recoup some of your losses.
I’ve sent drones here before and they did good work, could give them a try if your personal repairs don’t go as planned.

Reactions: CJFworks
Thanks, I was just reading up on DDS drone services. I know there is a script, but the tutorial to run it is for windows and I have a mac. Trying to figure out how to run it. this is new to me.

event=video_description&redir_token=QUFFLUhqa1lwTkZNNGdzSHIwMGwwUzBLRDh5QnFoVEd6d3xBQ3Jtc0tuQ2xzbno2QTh6MVdUSUgtQUdMV3FRNGJBamVJMDRrZmdmRk1LZlVUZzZITVVhTTY3eDJkSDZ0SDZBMnRLSFN6UDdoQ2FCeWJSMGZWeHRmRG9nWUJjNXhjRDQ4NXEyYTBXNENuY3hzcEFKMktkWVFXTQ&q=https%3A%2F%2Fpypi.org%2Fproject%2Fpyserial%2F%23files

firmware:

event=video_description&redir_token=QUFFLUhqbm1SUnJzOVBsLWVHcUgybjJnZEptMUc4c3F2Z3xBQ3Jtc0tuY2s5UlM3YXVSUFE1RmtKVXZyMjBnamdPZEN2aUtWRVZHclVvNGFZUzByVG1jSmhaZ0s0aU96TVZRb09BcElKZGtNN1ozay1IOG1hMHhGbWZ0X3RoV01ueEtCWUJLTkpGSXFNN3lfdzczNV9CN2x4WQ&q=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fo-gs%2Fdji-firmware-tools

Can I do this on a Mac and are there any explainer videos you know of. I understand there are several steps for the process.
I do not have a MAC so I cannot confirm this, but since DJI tools is a python program then as long as you can install python on your MAC then it makes no difference to the process.
  1. Download and Install Python
  2. Download and install DJI tools from github.
  3. Connect the drone to a serial COM port (a usb connection)
  4. switch the drone on.
  5. Find the active com port
  6. revise the parameter in the run command
    (py comm_og_service_tool.py com3 WM240 GimbalCalib JointCoarse)
  7. If its connected to COM5 use COM5 instead of com3 (WM240 is the code for a Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom)
  8. py is the command to run python
    and (comm_og_service_tool.py com3 WM240 GimbalCalib JointCoarse) is the program and parameters run in python.
  9. With your drone on and connected to said port you should see the gimbal respond.
  10. Secondly run (py comm_og_service_tool.py com3 WM240 GimbalCalib LinearHall)
In windows this is done using cmd (the command prompt) there is something similar on a MAC I think its called Terminal.

I do not have a MAC so I cannot confirm this, but since DJI tools is a python program then as long as you can install python on your MAC then it makes no difference to the process.
  1. Download and Install Python
  2. Download and install DJI tools from github.
  3. Connect the drone to a serial COM port (a usb connection)
  4. switch the drone on.
  5. Find the active com port
  6. revise the parameter in the run command
    (py comm_og_service_tool.py com3 WM240 GimbalCalib JointCoarse)
  7. If its connected to COM5 use COM5 instead of com3 (WM240 is the code for a Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom)
  8. py is the command to run python
    and (comm_og_service_tool.py com3 WM240 GimbalCalib JointCoarse) is the program and parameters run in python.
  9. With your drone on and connected to said port you should see the gimbal respond.
  10. Secondly run (py comm_og_service_tool.py com3 WM240 GimbalCalib LinearHall)
In windows this is done using cmd (the command prompt) there is something similar on a MAC I think its called Terminal.
That helps, thank you for responding to my post. I'm relatively new to mac still so I'll probably need a little more help. I've tried the steps but I am still getting "file no permission" when trying to run commands. I've tried several steps including allowing read and write files and still no luck. It's just going to take a bit of time troubleshooting it I'm sure.

That helps, thank you for responding to my post. I'm relatively new to mac still so I'll probably need a little more help. I've tried the steps but I am still getting "file no permission" when trying to run commands. I've tried several steps including allowing read and write files and still no luck. It's just going to take a bit of time troubleshooting it I'm sure.
Well I hope it works out.
I am probably repeating myself here but I want to emphasize the importance of having free movement at all pivot points. I once reassembled a camera and gimbal thinking all was good. It would not respond and after several tries I disassembled it again.
The issue turned out to be that I had over tightened or used the wrong three screws which hold the yaw motor to the gimbal vibration board (beneath the circuit board). The ends if the screws extended just a fraction too much into the yaw motor space (just the thickness of a piece of thick paper.) I loosened the screws just a quarter of a turn, reassembled and the gimbal worked.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31