DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Dial wheel settings ?

THE CYBORG

Reactions
Anyone else wish there was an option to change the direction of the controller’s gimbal wheel.
I want to push forwards to tilt down & pull back to tilt up.

Reactions: Lionfish
Yes but I got used to inevitably going the wrong way first.
There might be a hardware solution if the wheel 'drives' a centre tapped potentiometer and that would be reversing the two outer connections but it would invalidate warranty etc.

Anyone else wish there was an option to change the direction of the controller’s gimbal wheel.
I want to push forwards to tilt down & pull back to tilt up.

Initially I felt the same way. But the truth is eventually you get used to whatever it is. I haven't seen a software option. If you practice with previsualization it will become more natural more quickly. I initially have a dickens of a time learning to use a manual clutch on a car and motorcycle, but after a day of failure a night of just previsualizing the action had me just drive away the next day as if I'd been driving stick with manual clutch all my life.

If I may suggest....

*Think* of yourself holding the controller perpendicular to the ground rather than parallel. So now the gimbal wheel is (at least mentally) in a vertical operating position. If you were holding the controller in this manner, pulling down would make the gimbal go down and pushing up would make it go up. If you can think of it that way, I don't think it would take long to internalize the motions. If you fight it I think it only makes it worse. JMO

You have a point but my brain just isn't wired that way.
Years down the line and it still feels totally wrong.
Forward = DOWN – Back = UP on everything apart from my DJI drones ?

You have a point but my brain just isn't wired that way.
Years down the line and it still feels totally wrong.
Forward = DOWN – Back = UP on everything apart from my DJI drones ?

At one time I had two cars, a Mazda CX-7 and an Infiniti FX35. I like to shift manually and upshift/downshift were opposite in each of these cars. If you can't change it what other choice to you have but to adapt?

I don't think it's much different from a mental perspective when the drone is facing me. I have to do a mental shift where push becomes pull, left becomes right, etc. That's where I'm having a tough time internalizing the motions. I definitely don't fly in sport mode with the drone facing me :).

Taking Vindibona1's idea and twisting it a bit........Imagine pulling down on the left side of the wheel for gimbal down and pushing up on the left side of the wheel for gimbal up.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
I went for a qick flight today and found myself thing "pull down, push up", it works lol.
"Fair play to you" Vindibona1

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom