DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Flight Cover?

The instructor for the "Drone Basics" class I took a couple weekends ago would insist that I make a spectacle of myself.

He had all of us announcing clearly and loudly into the parking lot each time any of these things happened...

ENGINES ON!
AIRCRAFT LAUNCHING!
AIRCRAFT LANDING!

His head would probably explode if he watched someone launch from their hand without yelling at everyone nearby to watch. The hand launch actually seems safer, not just cleaner. It puts you in direct control of the drone instead of putting it down and stepping back, hoping no little kid or dog runs up to it as you take off.

That's really funny actually, sounds like the guy should be working for NASA and not a drone shop haha.

I agree 100%, it is safer than landing on the ground where the props are even more exposed and you are not in control. If you are holding onto the bottom of the drone, even at full throttle you can very easily overpower it if it somehow got a mind of it's own or malfunctioned. On top of this, if you are grasping the drone from the fuselage, you also have the ability to turn the drone 90 degrees which will kill the motors instantly in an emergency, something that is also not possible on the ground. There isn't really a downside other than getting over a little bit of nervousness the first couple of times while you get comfortable with how easy it is.

Drone flying is enough of a spectacle as it is, everyone wants to see the screen or watch it takeoff / land. Thankfully with the M2 drones you can't even hear them once they are about 50-100 feet away if there is any ambient noise at all. I was flying by a small waterfall the other day and you couldn't even hear the drone unless it was hovering above your head.

I tried this last night, but my M2 Zoom kept "jumping" away from my hand as I reached up for it. It didn't seem right to pull down and try to force it down without knowing for sure that my hand was exactly where it needed to be.

I'll have to watch more video demos of this today.

I did some flying last summer around a beach and kick up sand all over the place. i was looking at all of that sand going up into my drone motors. Grass was ok, because I have extension legs on my drones.

so I came up with a solution for myself: I looked around the internet and could not find anything that I wanted so:

I decided to build a pad. 36" x 38", out of wood, it has 8 6" legs.
motion sensors. 8 red led lights, 8 yellow led lights, and 4 white led's lights, I have a 12 volts battery that I set under the pad. the box in the picture is black, now. I will up load some videos of night flying, in a few weeks, when the weather breaks. I am planning on going on vacation in a few weeks up by the great lakes, to do some flying.

I also am using paint, strain, and under body covering that is used on vehicles, on the bottom of my pad to protection the wiring for the sensors and led's.

I know this pad is big a little weight to it, but that is what I wanted. I do have a much smaller portable pad that I purchase off of amazon.

I did design some handles under the pad, for me to move it around. fits great in the back of my F150, these trucks are very roomy, and i still have room for luggage and other items, when me and my wife are traveling.

I love my pad.

Attachments

• 20190114_212728.jpg
    20190114_212728.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 25
  • 20190114_212737.jpg
    20190114_212737.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 24
  • 20190114_213615.jpg
    20190114_213615.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 24
  • dronepad1.jpg
    dronepad1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Reactions: ff22
I tried this last night, but my M2 Zoom kept "jumping" away from my hand as I reached up for it. It didn't seem right to pull down and try to force it down without knowing for sure that my hand was exactly where it needed to be.

I'll have to watch more video demos of this today.

You need to keep the left stick held all the way down throughout the entire process. After 3 seconds the drone will disable the bottom sensors (what is making it jump away from you), and it will descend gently like a feather after that. Keep holding the left stick down even after you grab it, and the motors will shut off 1 second later.

In re-watching the videos, that was what I was doing wrong. For some reason I was expecting to be able to reach up and hold it. The jump away confused me.

Reactions: CanadaDrone
I've read on this forum that leaving the cover on the gimbal will reduce the proper air flow thru the MP, let alone providing light flares on your videos. Is that still true about the air flow?

Reactions: Rackminster
I've read on this forum that leaving the cover on the gimbal will reduce the proper air flow thru the MP, let alone providing light flares on your videos. Is that still true about the air flow?

Leaving the gimbal cover on is NOT a good idea. When first powered up, the gimbal is moved around to its various extremes. If it is impeded by the cover, it will strain the motors. Over time, this might harm the mechanism.

Reactions: Thomas B
I suppose the question should be: If I buy a cover that doesn't restrict the gimbal, will it restrict the airflow?

When I look at the design of it, I don't see how it could. The intake and exhaust ports aren't covered by the gimbal cover. Maybe if you were going 400mph (instead of 40mph) the dome shape in front might push enough air away from the side intakes to matter?

For the last couple days I've been successfully hand-launching and landing - and have to admit that I feel better about that than I do trying to find a clear patch of grass, packed dirt area, or lugging around a landing pad.

Reactions: ff22
You need to keep the left stick held all the way down throughout the entire process. After 3 seconds the drone will disable the bottom sensors (what is making it jump away from you), and it will descend gently like a feather after that. Keep holding the left stick down even after you grab it, and the motors will shut off 1 second later.

I saw a video of a slight modification of a hand catch. You bring the aircraft down to almost eye level and slip your hand under it from the front (or back) by moving your hand in a completely horizontal motion that is even with the bottom of the body. The sensors think they are on the ground and the motors shut off. I tried it once and it worked well for me.

My challenge is with the hand takeoff. It is difficult for me to swipe the screen while holding the controller and phone with one hand. I assume it might be easier with a lanyard but haven’t tried it.

My challenge is with the hand takeoff. It is difficult for me to swipe the screen while holding the controller and phone with one hand. I assume it might be easier with a lanyard but haven’t tried it.

I have big hands so it might be easier for me to do "one handed", but what you can also do is just crouch - keep the drone outstretched in your left hand, and with the controller resting on your lap/knees, swipe the "takeoff" slider. The drone isn't going anywhere after it takes off, so even if you aren't immediately composed that is completely fine. A lanyard or wrist strap would work too.

I've been bracing the controller with my stomach and swiping down (since the controller is then sideways). As long as I've got one hand on the outside and the controller against my body, it doesn't feel like it'll fall. Once the drone is in the air, I can resume normal control.

I have big hands so it might be easier for me to do "one handed", but what you can also do is just crouch - keep the drone outstretched in your left hand, and with the controller resting on your lap/knees, swipe the "takeoff" slider. The drone isn't going anywhere after it takes off, so even if you aren't immediately composed that is completely fine. A lanyard or wrist strap would work too.

I like your suggestion as long as my old knees cooperate.

Reactions: CanadaDrone
I've been bracing the controller with my stomach and swiping down (since the controller is then sideways). As long as I've got one hand on the outside and the controller against my body, it doesn't feel like it'll fall. Once the drone is in the air, I can resume normal control.

I must be a klutz because I dropped it once trying that. Maybe more practice?

I must be a klutz because I dropped it once trying that. Maybe more practice?
If crouching isn't an option, you could connect the remote controller to a lanyard and hang it around your neck. That'll free up one hand.

I've been searching here and online for a transparent cover for the gimbal while the drone is in flight. I haven't turned up much of anything useful. I honestly don't know if it would ruin any camera work to have a product like that on the drone during flight.

The more I think about it, the more I want to protect the gimbal and camera from things like flying debris, dust, bugs, water droplets, etc. That poor little gimbal just looks so exposed when the transport cover is off.

Is anyone aware of a product like that?

*Edit: I may have found my answer, though one reviewer mentions it ruins his shots with lots of lens flares. Drat.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MF6UVNG

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the gimble. I saw some crash tests and it came through with flying colors.

I've been searching here and online for a transparent cover for the gimbal while the drone is in flight. I haven't turned up much of anything useful. I honestly don't know if it would ruin any camera work to have a product like that on the drone during flight.

The more I think about it, the more I want to protect the gimbal and camera from things like flying debris, dust, bugs, water droplets, etc. That poor little gimbal just looks so exposed when the transport cover is off.

Is anyone aware of a product like that?

*Edit: I may have found my answer, though one reviewer mentions it ruins his shots with lots of lens flares. Drat.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MF6UVNG
personally I a new at this but I am a photographer and teh reason i waited so long to get this drone is because of the Hasselblad lens, putting anything that is not a high quality glass is not worth it. if you are careful and take good care of any type of equipment you should be fine. NO PLASTIC infant of lens

personally I a new at this but I am a photographer and teh reason i waited so long to get this drone is because of the Hasselblad lens, putting anything that is not a high quality glass is not worth it. if you are careful and take good care of any type of equipment you should be fine. NO PLASTIC infant of lens

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15