DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal issues post crash

neps

Reactions
Crashed my Mavic on Fathers day - fell about 50 feet from a tree and probably hit a few branches on the way down, got distracted by kiddos...

Post crash I had video, but no movement, the ribbon cable snapped and I lost a few rubber bands. I ordered on Amazon from Fstop Labs a replacement ribbon cable and vibration board.

Tonight I replaced those components, but I'm still getting gimbal errors. The gimbal moves now, where it hadn't in the past - and it looks like all the axises are moving. Any thoughts on what my next steps for troubleshooting may be?

Also the Camera cable didn't snap, and I've inspected it with a microscope, but it did have some bend to it post fall near the entry to the main body.

Problem? DJI app reporting
Gimbal gyroscope error / gimbal obstructed

Was unit in a crash? yes

What have you tried so far? replaced ribbon cable and vibration dampening board

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)? iphone

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? latest

What Go app version are you using? latest

Any modification? (if so what) none

Did you change anything or install any apps? (if so what) no

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link) posted

In doing some further Google research, it seems the gyroscope error means the Camera piece is likely damaged, even tho I see video, it’s a different piece and makes sense.

Do the experts here agree?

Looks like eBay is the best bet to get this piece, as I’m not seeing it on Amazon. Anyone have any eBay sellers they’d recommend? Seems to be a mix of rated sellers there.

Thanks!

Nudging incase someone else can help - maybe I can summon @Thunderdrones - as you seem to have a vast amount of knowledge.

I have a Camera coming from Shanghaii - supposedly won't be here until Mid-July.

Any thoughts on what my next steps for troubleshooting may be?

Check your gimbal for freedom of movement and straightness of the arms. Looks like something is bent there.

Bent pitch arm.jpg

it seems the gyroscope error means the Camera piece is likely damaged,

Either that or your silver cable is damaged. Ive seen that error message in both cases. Are you getting video? If the camera barrel was damaged, you would probably get a camera sensor error.

Thanks for replying!

I am getting video feed just fine - camera focused well too.

I’ll take a look again at the gimbal. If it’s bent should I just gently pry it the other direction? Or is there a different way to adjust?

Thanks for replying!

I am getting video feed just fine - camera focused well too.

I’ll take a look again at the gimbal. If it’s bent should I just gently pry it the other direction? Or is there a different way to adjust?

You cant really bend any of the arms back because if one of them is bent already, that motor is probably damaged. You can take a look at your black gimbal plate that is suspended by the 4 black rubber bands. That might be bent where it connects to the silver motor assembly. You can bend that back, but do it carefully because it could just snap off. Try not to put any pressure on any of the motors, it could cause them to become off-center, and then that would compound the problem.

I have replaced the vibration board, with a kit from Fstop - this was the board, rubber bands and the top part that attaches to the housing. if that's a new piece, it's not likely that the connection to the silver motor assembly is at fault, but rather the gimbal arms need replacing?

they do move freely, I don't notice any issue in their movement manually when it's off, but who knows... I'll see about ordering a new arm I guess while I wait for the Camera barrel to arrive.

Here is updated video with the new Camera from ebay. Video still works, and I also have the camera and drone on the same level surface so hopefully you can see the arm if it’s still looks bent.

I swear it moves better but still getting the same errors.

I guess my next option is to buy a new arm?
I left it running for 20 min and I didn’t notice anything heating up on the Gimbal

Looks like they go for about $50 on eBay?

Here is updated video with the new Camera from ebay. Video still works, and I also have the camera and drone on the same level surface so hopefully you can see the arm if it’s still looks bent.

I swear it moves better but still getting the same errors.

I guess my next option is to buy a new arm?
I left it running for 20 min and I didn’t notice anything heating up on the Gimbal

Looks like they go for about $50 on eBay?
Did you find any solution? Any updates?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada