DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal jump when breaking

swoermck

Reactions
Hi all,

just realised recently that the gimbal will do a little jump when breaking/getting off the sticks on higher speeds (no Sports mode).

Testing a bit more I figure out if I pull the stick backwards very carefully (while flying forward ), there is no jump, also in low speed (< 5 km/h) I can just release the stick, which will result in a very smooth breaking of the Mavic Air 2 / no gimbal jump.

So my take on that is, that at speeds above 5 km/h and just getting off the sticks while flying forward will result in a hard break, which is above what the gimbal could handle - what do you think?

I didn't have this is issue with my Mavic Pro1, but recall that I set EXP for my Mavic Pro similar to this guide:

So is this normal behaviour, as the Mavic Air 2 / Fly App has no "fine tuning" settings for EXP like the Mavic Pro?

thanks,

Stefan

.. just discovered this in another forum, from the "wishlist" for future firmware updates for the MA2:

One thing that I have requested in various "Feature Missing/Feature Request" topics is Cinematic Mode from the M2 series. This removes the abrupt braking when releasing the right stick. Sure you can do this with good stick control, but if you've ever tried the M2 Cinematic, you will know why I want it.

found here:

Gimbal Control

So the "abrupt braking when releasing the right stick" is - with the actual firmware - normal?

.. just discovered this in another forum, from the "wishlist" for future firmware updates for the MA2:

One thing that I have requested in various "Feature Missing/Feature Request" topics is Cinematic Mode from the M2 series. This removes the abrupt braking when releasing the right stick. Sure you can do this with good stick control, but if you've ever tried the M2 Cinematic, you will know why I want it.

found here:

Gimbal Control

So the "abrupt braking when releasing the right stick" is - with the actual firmware - normal?
I think the "abrupt braking when releasing the right stick" refers to the sharp change in speed instead of gimbal jump which is abnormal.

If the braking is abrupt enough, the AC tilt to accomplish it may cause the gimbal to hit its downward limit.

that was my initial thought as well, but it does it forward- AND backwards:

1) I started forward reducing the speed very, very slow - no jump
2) backwards with around 20 km/h - just get off the sticks
3) forward again, around 12 km/h - just get off the sticks

So is getting off the sticks from a certain speed too much for the gimbal to compensate?

that was my initial thought as well, but it does it forward- AND backwards:

1) I started forward reducing the speed very, very slow - no jump
2) backwards with around 20 km/h - just get off the sticks
3) forward again, around 12 km/h - just get off the sticks

So is getting off the sticks from a certain speed too much for the gimbal to compensate?
Yes. It has limit to reaction time. Glad you figured it out! Many complaints of this occurrence.

ok, then no need to worry about having a "lemon"

.. or in other words "..works as designed.." ;)

Since my first flight with my Mavic Pro (around 3 years ago) I changed EXP settings as linked above, so I think I got too used to the smooth movement.. It's just about getting used to the more aggressive style of the MA2.

And maybe a future update for MA2 will bring the EXP settings to the Fly App as well .. who knows..

UDATE!

had a chat with DJI support this morning, and after watching the linked video above very clear statement from them: NOT NORMAL, and for sure not in Normal or Tripod mode (could happen in Sport mode only).

So I updated to the latest firmware, did a Gimbal calibration and went outside. Result:

- first 3 or 4 minutes no problem, even breaking from 30 km/h no "gimbal jump" (was already happy)
- later on, problem back again :-(
- landed, let it cool down for a few minutes and up again
- first minutes less (but not totally gone - I guess I should let her cool down completely)
- and after 5 minutes back to gimbal jumps like I saw before!

Now thinking loud here: I think I read the "first 3-4 minutes normal" in another thread - gimbal overload?

Although I received now error message during the whole flight, I am leaning towards a "thermal" problem..

Anyway, bird is packed up and sent to the DJI repair center, as suggested during the chat with DJI support

.. so I think I got a "lemon" ?

Reactions: Thomas B
UDATE!

had a chat with DJI support this morning, and after watching the linked video above very clear statement from them: NOT NORMAL, and for sure not in Normal or Tripod mode (could happen in Sport mode only).

So I updated to the latest firmware, did a Gimbal calibration and went outside. Result:

- first 3 or 4 minutes no problem, even breaking from 30 km/h no "gimbal jump" (was already happy)
- first minutes less (but not totally gone - I guess I should let her cool down completely)

Now thinking loud here: I think I read the "first 3-4 minutes normal" in another thread - gimbal overload?

Although I received now error message during the whole flight, I am leaning towards a "thermal" problem..

Anyway, bird is packed up and sent to the DJI repair center, as suggested during the chat with DJI support

UDATE!

Hello Swoermck . Absolute same problem gimbal behavior... I have start a thread here 2 days ago...
It surprised me too because so far everything was going perfectly, in the same conditions.
So it has to be sent to service ... Did he tell you how long the repair takes?

Sorry to haunt the forums or appear to stalk on this topic. I am pretty unimpressed by the gimbal reliability for MA2. My repair was done in 3 days after the Malaysian service center received my drone, but it also took 3 days for them to authorise me to send it in / via email.

Hello Swoermck . Absolute same problem gimbal behavior... I have start a thread here 2 days ago...
It surprised me too because so far everything was going perfectly, in the same conditions.
So it has to be sent to service ... Did he tell you how long the repair takes?
the MA2 arrived yesterday at DJI (Germany), and today I received an email stating that they will replace the "gimbal axis arm module", covered under warranty. The repair is expected to be finished in 2 to 3 working days - so let's keep fingers crossed!

If you have the same issue, I would definitely open a repair case at DJI - and interesting to know that I am not the only one with that issue! Does it happen to you also after some time of flying, not right after the start?

I am pretty unimpressed by the gimbal reliability for MA2.
Not sure if I am correct here, but for my taste the gimbal cover puts a bit too much stress on the gimbal itself. This was the first observation when putting it back the first time, and it always leaves me with with a strange feeling when pushing it back on after flying.

.. and it seems I am not the only one with this concern:

Gimbal Cover

So maybe the cover is the root cause of all those gimbal problems?

Reactions: lee82gx
Not sure if I am correct here, but for my taste the gimbal cover puts a bit too much stress on the gimbal itself. This was the first observation when putting it back the first time, and it always leaves me with with a strange feeling when pushing it back on after flying.

Gimbal Cover

Hello ! It seems to me that it doesn't happen right from the beginning of the flight, but after 1-2 minutes ...
I've always been careful how I mount the gimbal cover, so as not to force it somehow ...

Gimbal Cover

swoermck, you may be on to something. The gimbal cover of MA1 and M2P, M2Z all do not forcefully contact the gimbal from the back.
It may not mean much, but it does not fully explain why (so far) only a portion of the MA2 in the field are failing and not a (more) significant number...but you do make a mechanical engineer like me wonder!

Hello ! It seems to me that it doesn't happen right from the beginning of the flight, but after 1-2 minutes ...
I've always been careful how I mount the gimbal cover, so as not to force it somehow ...
I too am supremely careful about babying my gimbal because my MP1 gimbal just broke itself after a few months worth of flying without any crash or drop, and an unsuccessful round of self repair + 1 round of successful self repair cost me ~US$200. So no, its not your fault. Also note that there is WAY less gimbal failure issues in MA1. In fact I crashed my MA1 and broke the gimbal vibration plate, dented the gimbal near the filter thread all from 40ft high onto pavement. Replaced the plate and various shells of the MA1, and back into air it went. It felt so sturdy to me. Never even asked me to "calibrate the gimbal" after all the problems.

sounds to me identical to my observation, so I guess same failure. I would recommend to you opening a repair ticket as well.

Also received a screenshot from DJI Fly APP (from the DJI Repair Center) showing the Error Code 40002 (Gimbal Stuck), under the screenshot a comment saying "the gimbal axis arm module was damaged, which caused gimbal stability related issues."

Little bit puzzled with the comment "..was damaged.." .. by whom? Had zero crashes with MA2, only two weeks old.

Yesterday they stated they will exchange the axis arm module under warranty, today I received shipping notice, but with another serial number.. after contacting the DJI Support via chat they confirmed that a new drone is on its way to me..

Just asking myself: in the cost estimation, they calculated EUR 32,- for the Gimbal Module, and EUR 50,- for the repair service fee.. Not quite obvious why they are now sending a new drone instead of repairing it??

sounds to me identical to my observation, so I guess same failure. I would recommend to you opening a repair ticket as well.

Also received a screenshot from DJI Fly APP (from the DJI Repair Center) showing the Error Code 40002 (Gimbal Stuck), under the screenshot a comment saying "the gimbal axis arm module was damaged, which caused gimbal stability related issues."

Little bit puzzled with the comment "..was damaged.." .. by whom? Had zero crashes with MA2, only two weeks old.

Yesterday they stated they will exchange the axis arm module under warranty, today I received shipping notice, but with another serial number.. after contacting the DJI Support via chat they confirmed that a new drone is on its way to me..

Just asking myself: in the cost estimation, they calculated EUR 32,- for the Gimbal Module, and EUR 50,- for the repair service fee.. Not quite obvious why they are now sending a new drone instead of repairing it??

Hello! In other words, today I had a total surprise! Before packing the drone for sending to the zonal DJI center, I said to try one last flight ... No problem after the two batteries consumed! As it went from the first flight! What to be ? Something reversible? From a technical point of view I do not know, how would a repair by itself be possible? I obstinately repeat that nothing new has intervened on the drone!

That's often how DJI works, especially for gimbals. Replacement rather than repair but only charge for quoted repair if not under warranty. At least not repair from your perspective. I'm sure they repair it later on and make it a refurbished item.

They charged me $2 for the replacement antenna on my remote but really they sent a new remote. Granted that was at the same time I sent the AC for a refresh.

ok, new MA2 arrived on Tuesday :)

Did a first test flight - so far everything seems fine, no jump even when releasing the stick from 30 km/h!

Also tried to check for video quality as far as I can tell seems ok - only issue I noticed: the red/green lines on a roof of a house, lines moving in the video, similar to the issue I had on the Mavic Pro. Hard to explain, so here is cropped shot from the Mavic Pro:

MP1Flicker.png

(this picture is taken from the Mavic Pro, NOT the new MA2!!)

Issue with the replaced MA2 was not as bad as in the example above from the Mavic Pro (so seems to be improved in the MA2)

ma2_flicker-png.119006

(different object in the MA2 shot)

but I flew the same route with the first MA2 a few weeks ago with no coloured lines moving on this particular roof!

TO BE FAIR:
the flight with the first MA2 with no issues was around noon, nice sunny weather, bright light, and the test flight with the new MA2 last Tuesday was around 1 hour before sunset, sun already very low and not very bright light. Also flight height was not the same, so different perspective for the camera .. so I tend to say unfair to compare? Something that can happen always with this tiny sensor depending on light conditions?

Guess I have to wait for better weather condition to do a fair comparison..but weather forecast for the coming days is not very promising!!

Attachments

• MA2_flicker.png
    MA2_flicker.png
    75.6 KB · Views: 45
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member