DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal knocking while calibrating

naderiano

Reactions
Hi Mavic Proers!

I had an accident with my bird and the gimbal was damaged. I bought a gimbal and replaced it but got a knocking sound so I read some forums and though it should be the gimbal ribbon. I purchased a new ribbon and replaced it but I still have the knocking but I guess in a different postion of the startup calibration.

I didnät have the issue before the accident and what I am wondering is if this knocking would slowly damage the gimbal or I can just ignore it?
I havent flown a lot but it doesnt seem to effect the gimbal (I guess). Do I need to buy a new gimbal and/or ribbon or just live with it?

Here is a Youtube link of how it looks and sounds (I have a filter on it, but it doesnt make a difference without)

Kind regards,
Nader

did you check that the gimbal is hanging on the anti drop hook properly

In your video the knock seems to occur at extremes of gimbal movement regardless of direction. I doubt it it is due to the gimbal ribbon. Sounds mechanical, like the gimbal hits a limiting stop.

I have exactly the same scenario. I replaced the entire gimbal but used the original gimbal/camera control board. I have a hair brained theory that the gimbal and board are from two different versions. So I’m going to repair my original gimbal and match it back to the original board. See if it stops banging. I also got a new control board for the new gimbal. I’ll match and test that combination. We’ll see.

In your video the knock seems to occur at extremes of gimbal movement regardless of direction. I doubt it it is due to the gimbal ribbon. Sounds mechanical, like the gimbal hits a limiting stop.
Don't know... Very strange indeed

I have exactly the same scenario. I replaced the entire gimbal but used the original gimbal/camera control board. I have a hair brained theory that the gimbal and board are from two different versions. So I’m going to repair my original gimbal and match it back to the original board. See if it stops banging. I also got a new control board for the new gimbal. I’ll match and test that combination. We’ll see.

Great! Please report back...

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Great! Please report back...

Fixed the whacking on boot up... I think. Here's the history and actions taken. This is on an MPP.

Because my original camera stopped focusing, I purchased a whole new gimbal. Overkill, yes, but I was mad. I ordered the gimbal on eBay from Mid City Hobbies located in Wisconsin. They list their parts as coming from a new Mavic Pro after testing. So I'm assuming the gimbal they sent was from a Mavic Pro, not an MPP. The gimbal camera had a red tag, as opposed to a yellow tag. I think my original MPP camera was a red tag, but I'm old and it's kinda foggy. Also, the new gimbal did not come with a camera/gimbal control board.

So I installed the new gimbal using my existing MPP control board. Calibrated the gimbal twice, and calibrated my vision sensors. Regardless of calibration, the extreme movement of the gimbal caused it to crash into it's support system during boot up . It was far more extreme than my original gimbal. Recalibration did not fix this issue.

I was wondering if there was a compatibility issue between the gimbal and the control board. No science here, just guess work. So I ordered a new camera/gimbal control board from Mid City Hobbies. My assumption was that it would be from a Mavic Pro and not an MPP.

I got the board today and installed it on the new gimbal/camera. On first boot, it whacked again. So then I calibrated the gimbal in the Go 4 app. After reboot, the knocking stopped. The extreme movement during boot up that caused the whacking was NOT as extreme anymore. Science or Luck? I dunno. Maybe there is a difference between the whole camera system by date or by model. Dunno. Bottom line is it worked.

As for my original "broken" gimbal/camera, I will eventually replace the camera lens unit and the camera signal cable. Then match it back up with the original control board. That won't be for a while as I can't find a lens that doesn't come from China. But when I get it all rebuilt, I'm going to test it and let you know.

Update: Just to make sure I'm not kidding myself, I rebooted another 5 times since my last post. No whacking.

Fixed the whacking on boot up... I think. Here's the history and actions taken. This is on an MPP.

Because my original camera stopped focusing, I purchased a whole new gimbal. Overkill, yes, but I was mad. I ordered the gimbal on eBay from Mid City Hobbies located in Wisconsin. They list their parts as coming from a new Mavic Pro after testing. So I'm assuming the gimbal they sent was from a Mavic Pro, not an MPP. The gimbal camera had a red tag, as opposed to a yellow tag. I think my original MPP camera was a red tag, but I'm old and it's kinda foggy. Also, the new gimbal did not come with a camera/gimbal control board.

So I installed the new gimbal using my existing MPP control board. Calibrated the gimbal twice, and calibrated my vision sensors. Regardless of calibration, the extreme movement of the gimbal caused it to crash into it's support system during boot up . It was far more extreme than my original gimbal. Recalibration did not fix this issue.

I was wondering if there was a compatibility issue between the gimbal and the control board. No science here, just guess work. So I ordered a new camera/gimbal control board from Mid City Hobbies. My assumption was that it would be from a Mavic Pro and not an MPP.

I got the board today and installed it on the new gimbal/camera. On first boot, it whacked again. So then I calibrated the gimbal in the Go 4 app. After reboot, the knocking stopped. The extreme movement during boot up that caused the whacking was NOT as extreme anymore. Science or Luck? I dunno. Maybe there is a difference between the whole camera system by date or by model. Dunno. Bottom line is it worked.

As for my original "broken" gimbal/camera, I will eventually replace the camera lens unit and the camera signal cable. Then match it back up with the original control board. That won't be for a while as I can't find a lens that doesn't come from China. But when I get it all rebuilt, I'm going to test it and let you know.

That's quite logical. Since it hits the limits a small design change could have been the reason. Thanks for the detailed info and clarification. I would ignore the knocking and when it stops working I would simply get a new gimbal or a gimbal/board/camera assembly.
Have a nice day!
/Nader

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan