DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Motor Overloaded

patthronson

Reactions
New Mavic 2 Zoom with Smart controller January 8 2020;

After the required updating and calibrating; approximately 3 minutes into my 1st flight I received the Gimbal Motor Overloaded warning. The next 12 or so test flights resulted in the same error message at about the same few minutes after take-off. Wind less than 10 MPH, partly cloudy day and approximately 20F.

Test flight indoors or idling on the surface produced no warning messages and the gimbal worked fine.

I just found about and have calibrated the Inertial Measurement Unit and now waiting for outside temperatures to get above 14F. I tested indoors again with normal Gimbal movement.

I would agree. Seems like a low temperature issue. Not sure if there is any greese used in the motor or gear box. If it is not low temperature greese, greese will harden at that temperature. I learned that from some work I did in a small gear box design.

Are you using 3rd party filters? The additional weight may cause this as well?

Interesting on the low temperature issue it appears this is the case however it still above the minimum temp DJI states for the Mavic 2 of 14F (-10°C to 40°C)

No filters

January 16
After speaking with a DJI technician in CA USA, I have factory re-set the Smart Controller, updated the latest firmware, again calibrated the Gimbal, Compass, IMU and removed the SD card on the drone resulting in the same consistent error message with in a minute of the drone launch. Less than a minute after the drone is landed and props stopped the error message disappears. The Gimbal works normally when the remote controller and aircraft are activated but propellers not turning. This time within a minute of the props idling the error message appears. This was done in my garage approximately 17F (-25F outside)

The Drone is now on its way to DJI Services LLC in Cerritos, California.

Interesting on the low temperature issue it appears this is the case however it still above the minimum temp DJI states for the Mavic 2 of 14F (-10°C to 40°C)

No filters

January 16
After speaking with a DJI technician in CA USA, I have factory re-set the Smart Controller, updated the latest firmware, again calibrated the Gimbal, Compass, IMU and removed the SD card on the drone resulting in the same consistent error message with in a minute of the drone launch. Less than a minute after the drone is landed and props stopped the error message disappears. The Gimbal works normally when the remote controller and aircraft are activated but propellers not turning. This time within a minute of the props idling the error message appears. This was done in my garage approximately 17F (-25F outside)

The Drone is now on its way to DJI Services LLC in Cerritos, California.
January 31
DJI Repair Progress Inquiry from their CA USA repair station;
They show a picture of my camera with a title “gimbal off center and noisy”
They show another picture of an I-phone with a title “overall status” which I cannot read.

Yesterday, I received a different drone body and the gimbal seems to work fine and appears to be “looser” in movement.
I have not flown it. I am waiting for the winds to die down for a test flight.

Update February 2;

24 degrees F, 4 MPH and partly cloudy.
Flew for a total of about 45 mins and no problems, this is going to be a fun drone to learn :0)

Update February 2;

24 degrees F, 4 MPH and partly cloudy.
Flew for a total of about 45 mins and no problems, this is going to be a fun drone to learn :0)
[emoji1696] for ya... Where do you live/fly? I saw -25 deg F, outside and said '****'

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato