DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Overload With A Spin

Chip

Reactions
Mavic has performed flawlessly up to now. No crashes no problems. Suddenly an occasional gimbal error accompanied by loss of manual control. Gimbal moves around erratically on intermittent basis. I have read several threads by people with gimbal overload issue who repair with new ribbon cable. But, do I have something else going on because loss of gimbal control has been accompanied by loss of Mavic control? The Mavic will take off normally but will then hit a spot where any stick input it will make it spin in circles in about 6 foot arc while gimbal goes crazy. When Mavic goes into this mode, it cannot be flown manually. I have to hit RTH which has worked fine twice but I do not like to rely on RTH because most flights are in windy conditions over water. Any ideas?

Mavic has performed flawlessly up to now. No crashes no problems. Suddenly an occasional gimbal error accompanied by loss of manual control. Gimbal moves around erratically on intermittent basis. I have read several threads by people with gimbal overload issue who repair with new ribbon cable. But, do I have something else going on because loss of gimbal control has been accompanied by loss of Mavic control? The Mavic will take off normally but will then hit a spot where any stick input it will make it spin in circles in about 6 foot arc while gimbal goes crazy. When Mavic goes into this mode, it cannot be flown manually. I have to hit RTH which has worked fine twice but I do not like to rely on RTH because most flights are in windy conditions over water. Any ideas?
Dude I was about to post a thread about my gimbal also but im getting gimbal vibration on every flight lately have to immediately land and turn off and on and then its ok

not using a filter no crash no damage no liquid etc all good .. have sensors and the imu all calibrated / device up to date and dji go 4 up to date iPad is only device I use nothing else and no interference .. have you only started to notice this since the update by any chance ..

hope im not hijacking your thread but its a little similar

Reactions: Former Member
Dude I was about to post a thread about my gimbal also but im getting gimbal vibration on every flight lately have to immediately land and turn off and on and then its ok

Are you using Low Noise props an a Mavic Pro? Thats been a cause of alot of vibration issues. It's driving people crazy.

Sounds like 2 different problems. Gimbal random reset, and compass out of calibration. Try calibrating your compass before each flight, and that problem might resolve itself.

The gimbal problem doesnt necessarily require a ribbon change. Here is a topic on random resets:

GRRR Gimbal Random Reset
100% pal even when I change a battery I recalibrate my compass on every flight

Does this happen all of a sudden and at the same time? Any error messages?
all checked at the start of flight .. takes off shows abnormal gimbal vibration I land immediately from about 10 feet up where it always stops anyhow for precise record takeoff point .. will definitely check this on the mavic thanks a million for that pal I know I know at my own risk but looks about right to me .. anyhow if I melt it off a wall you will get the job lol

Does this happen all of a sudden and at the same time? Any error messages?

TDrones, thanks for your help. Here is better description of the two events. The first time this happened was 1 week ago. I got gimbal overload message, screen image was bouncing around, and I had loss of manual control. Mavic would hover and maintain altitude but if I tried to move it in any direction it would spin around in a tight circle as if it was geofenced. As soon as I hit RTH it came right back and I was able to regain normal control just before landing. I then had 6 or 7 normal flights over several days until sudden re-appearance of problem. This time I noticed that image was askew (but not spinning) on my screen when I took off. Less than 300 feet away, same loss of manual control. Any stick input triggered a tight circle but could not get it to come back without RTH. During RTH, I was able to regain control and land manually.

Thats called the toilet bowl effect and usually happens when the compass is out of calibration. Scary when it does happen, and lucky to be able to land. Happens to me sometimes on a newly repaired drone.

The gimbal glitch has been around since the Mavic came out and there are a few possible fixes including lowering resolution to 1080 and see if it helps. Also, if shooting in 4k, keep your clips shorter. These are user methods to cure the reset, DJI makes believe it doesnt exist.

Thats called the toilet bowl effect and usually happens when the compass is out of calibration. Scary when it does happen, and lucky to be able to land. Happens to me sometimes on a newly repaired drone.

The gimbal glitch has been around since the Mavic came out and there are a few possible fixes including lowering resolution to 1080 and see if it helps. Also, if shooting in 4k, keep your clips shorter. These are user methods to cure the reset, DJI makes believe it doesnt exist.

The old toilet bowl effect...I always wondered what the heck the phrase meant! It makes sense because I have not re-calibrated compass for a while. I am very lucky it happened while drone was close to me and I could see exactly what it was doing. RTH worked fine but normally I like to skedaddle home in SPORT due to variable winds over water. RTH can seem ponderously slow to me when I have windy conditions and battery concerns. Thanks for the tips, Tdrones. I will be experimenting with the gimbal reset issue.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb