DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Overload

itallica

Reactions
Happened to me yesterday, thought I would celebrate the snow. First sign of problems is at about 12 seconds. Things go off the rails at 1:14, then later - pop - everything is good. Ran an indoor test flight last night and all went silky smooth.

Was this a one-off thing? Or because:
  1. Snow (wasn't blowing that hard)
  2. Temp (not below operating temp)
  3. New device (I'm an android guy but this was first flight with ipad pro)
  4. Firmware/software (because new device everything got spiffed up to latest)
@itsneedtokno lookin' right at you :) I just plunked down the cash for a @Phantomrain.org wetsuit and jacket - am I going to have to send this in for repair/replacement? I don't want to suit this up and still have problems! I did contact support and did a calibration - but I'm nervously skeptical about this fixing it.

20 hours of flight time on this aircraft, 109 flights, 113 miles. Never an issue, gimble moves freely. Sorry for all the questions, this has me a little freaked out.

Last edited:
Reactions: itsneedtokno
Happened to me yesterday, thought I would celebrate the snow. First sign of problems is at about 12 seconds. Things go off the rails at 1:14, then later - pop - everything is good. Ran an indoor test flight last night and all went silky smooth.

Was this a one-off thing? Or because:
  1. Snow (wasn't blowing that hard)
  2. Temp (not below operating temp)
  3. New device (I'm an android guy but this was first flight with ipad pro)
  4. Firmware/software (because new device everything got spiffed up to latest)
@itsneedtokno lookin' right at you :) I just plunked down the cash for a @Phantomrain.org wetsuit and jacket - am I going to have to send this in for repair/replacement? I don't want to suit this up and still have problems! I did contact support and did a calibration - but I'm nervously skeptical about this fixing it.

20 hours of flight time on this aircraft, 109 flights, 113 miles. Never an issue, gimble moves freely. Sorry for all the questions, this has me a little freaked out.

I wouldn't suit it until you know for certain it was an isolated incident.

Did you get an error messages?

So it corrected itself mid flight? Or did you land first?

I wouldn't suit it until you know for certain it was an isolated incident.

Did you get an error messages?

So it corrected itself mid flight? Or did you land first?
Yes on the error messages. Lots of them.

Yes on the corrected itself. It was like pop and done.

Did a test flight last night and some experimenting today and all is well.

What it didn't mention was that although it was snowing it wasn't a wet rainy kind of a snow - it was dry and wind was not really an issue.

Yes on the error messages. Lots of them.

Yes on the corrected itself. It was like pop and done.

Did a test flight last night and some experimenting today and all is well.

What it didn't mention was that although it was snowing it wasn't a wet rainy kind of a snow - it was dry and wind was not really an issue.

This is normal behavior for the gimbal starting to flip up.
if you would have stayed directly into the wind or behind the wind you would be ok but when you turned sideways that is what happens, once the wind catches the Gimbal like that it wont Reset until you have landed and than you will be good to go.

This exact behavior happens on both the Mavic 2 and Mavic Air 2 and just need to be negotiated , notice those winds were close to 25 mph at times and that near is near the limit point for the Gimbal but not the Drone.

See this thread and watch how when i turn into the 25 Mph as you did how the Gimbal Reacts. Similar.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Float on water.

This is normal behavior for the gimbal starting to flip up.
if you would have stayed directly into the wind or behind the wind you would be ok but when you turned sideways that is what happens, once the wind catches the Gimbal like that it wont Reset until you have landed and than you will be good to go.

This exact behavior happens on both the Mavic 2 and Mavic Air 2 and just need to be negotiated , notice those winds were close to 25 mph at times and that near is near the limit point for the Gimbal but not the Drone.

See this thread and watch how when i turn into the 25 Mph as you did how the Gimbal Reacts. Similar.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Float on water.

But he said no wind...?

And Jello vs Flip are different.

Let's figure this out!

But he said no wind...?

And Jello vs Flip are different.

Let's figure this out!

I saw a wind shift in the snow. I would say on the ground maybe he was being blocked where he was at but there was definitely wind , Just the angle of the Snow is a good sign there was some wind.

The issue looks to be in only the vertical movement of the gimbal. If thats the case, I believe it's an issue with dirt, dust of some kind of contaminant in the gimbal's vertical mechanism. Take a look at my post about the issue I had with mine (very similar movement issue). I hope you get it resolved.

Reactions: itallica
thanks for all the replies, I'm feeling better about this today - I did a recalibrate last night and rolled some test footage today - not too much - fingers get cold at 23 degrees :)

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
So don't think I'm crazy, but if you go way back in my history you'll see that I started a thread called gimbal overload I think. When I opened this yeaterday I thought this was my thread and you were commenting saying that the same thing happened to you. Again, don't think I'm crazy.

Sorry

It will get worse, in my case it was around the same as you initially but it got much worst after some days. You can replicate the issue more consistently by doing panoramas, especially 360 panorama.

my advice is bite the bullet and send it in. Mine was replaced with a new gimbal / camer

It will get worse, in my case it was around the same as you initially but it got much worst after some days. You can replicate the issue more consistently by doing panoramas, especially 360 panorama.

my advice is bite the bullet and send it in. Mine was replaced with a new gimbal / camer
nuts

I just got mine back from DJI and I was told after extensive testing that nothing was wrong with it, all they did was update the firmware I’ve yet to try it out

Reactions: itallica
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato