DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal problem after crash Mavic Pro

Reactions
Hi everyone, I hope I can get some help here. I crashed my Mavic Pro this afternoon in a tree while flying backwards. It got stuck in the tree and I wasn’t able to get to it. Only after using a 5m long bamboo pole I could push it out of the tree and it dropped to the bottom. Luckily in the sand & leafs and its fall was stopped by other branches. I think that kept the damage limited. After recovery and turning it back on it gives a gimbal error: “Gimbal motor load too large. Please check if the gimbal clamp has been removed.” See attached screen shot. I think I see what the problem is and looks like a holder from the mount has come off. See other attached image. Looks like nothing broke but only came loose from the mount.

Anybody familiar with this problem and can I fix this myself? I tried pushing it back in to place but can’t easily. I don’t ant to use excessive force before I know more.

Thank you for you help and I’m looking forward to your answers.
4cfd28985f3f920978eaa0ec3863d44e.jpg
e69470665453741456fbf4c54cffbe04.jpg

@Thunderdrones I got the gimbal back in place but it still gives the same error message and sometimes it says the gimbal is obstructed. After gently pushing the gimbal with my finger it starts moving and seems ok to go flying. The gimbal seems to make much more noise then before. I haven’t tried taking off because it’s evening now and dark. I’m in Indonesia. Not sure what the issue is now. I’ll try flying tomorrow in day light but there is definitely something wrong.

Edit: I tried calibrating the gimbal but doesn’t complete. Stops at 31%. I’m not sure but does it look bend? See attached image.
2cb2aebf6240fa8dd529530494f9b38b.jpg

Last edited:
So I finally had the time today to try again. I tried bending the gimbal a little bit to the left and then it didn’t give an error anymore and I could take off. All worked fine except sometimes after a sharper turn the gimbal seems to get caught up for a split second and then moves back in position.

After I flew I tried calibrating the gimbal but didn’t get past 31% and got an error message. First time it said gimbal motor overload, second time I got another error. See attached image.

@Thunderdrones do you have any idea what the issue could be? Around here there are no drone repair shops but I’m flying to Europe next week. I’m thinking of bringing it along and check for repair shop there.

Any ideas or input is welcome. I bought the drone 2nd hand and don’t want to spent too much on repair if it’s not needed.
db6b964537418759cd7fdb2ca94cb9b2.jpg

I had a similar issue. I tried replacing the ribbon cable twice. I still got the same error. I ended up buying a new gimbal motor assembly. I attached my old camera on the assembly and put it back together. Works great now! You definitely have to be good at working with delicate electronics. You don’t have to be an electronics engineer, but you need to know the tolerances of the delicate parts. Just watched a few YouTube videos on the issue, to gauge whether you have the appropriate skill set. The gimbal motor assembly that I bought was from Amazon. It was used, but original, tested and guaranteed. I think I paid just under $50. Let me know if you need a link.

Reactions: pimvanschendel
I had a similar issue. I tried replacing the ribbon cable twice. I still got the same error. I ended up buying a new gimbal motor assembly. I attached my old camera on the assembly and put it back together. Works great now! You definitely have to be good at working with delicate electronics. You don’t have to be an electronics engineer, but you need to know the tolerances of the delicate parts. Just watched a few YouTube videos on the issue, to gauge whether you have the appropriate skill set. The gimbal motor assembly that I bought was from Amazon. It was used, but original, tested and guaranteed. I think I paid just under $50. Let me know if you need a link.

Thank you for your reply, very useful information. Yes, a link would be great. I have done delicate electronic works before so I might give it a go if it doesn’t look to complicated. Thanks again!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu