DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Protector MOD, does it make sense?

Javierz0509

Reactions
This is not my video but they are talking about it on other groups, i haven't done it but i always would think that the little clip does add pressure to the gimble....

Seems like it keeps the gimbal from shaking around in there.. I'll leave mine alone.

Reactions: hiflyer201
@Javierz0509 i would be surprised if it put any strain on the gimbal as it is mounted on dampers ,to allow it to move and help to stop vibrations being transmitted during flight ,the whole idea of the cover is to protect ,and hold the gimbal in a fixed position when it is being transported,removing the clip stops it from doing that

Just make sure it’s squared up when you clip it in and it’s good I saw that too. But I got used to using it the way it’s intended.

Reactions: hiflyer201
if you guys follow the mavic air 2 gimbal overload saga (which is not written in 1 volume unfortunately, you have to search here and in Dji forums), you will know that the MA2 suffers from abnormally high rate of failure from shaking / overload / jello effect.

Much more so than Mavic Air 1, Mavic Mini and even Pro 2's anecdotally.

You can try to correlate that with the fact that this is the only gimbal protector that locks the gimbal stiffly in all 3 directions +/-, perhaps it is a genuine root cause.

As of now at home, my MA2 is not permanently locked by this protector. During trips in the bag, yes.

if you guys follow the mavic air 2 gimbal overload saga (which is not written in 1 volume unfortunately, you have to search here and in Dji forums), you will know that the MA2 suffers from abnormally high rate of failure from shaking / overload / jello effect.

Much more so than Mavic Air 1, Mavic Mini and even Pro 2's anecdotally.

You can try to correlate that with the fact that this is the only gimbal protector that locks the gimbal stiffly in all 3 directions +/-, perhaps it is a genuine root cause.

As of now at home, my MA2 is not permanently locked by this protector. During trips in the bag, yes.
Mine is always in its case if its not flying...

This is not my video but they are talking about it on other groups, i haven't done it but i always would think that the little clip does add pressure to the gimble....

I have seen a few people destroy there camera putting it on and pulling it off which is why we have never used a gimbal protectors. A lens protector would make more sense. I take the drones on the motorcycle, car, on the jet ski and never used a gimbal protector . There frustrating, dangerous and poorly designed and engineered and people do forget that they have them on causing yet more issues to the Gimbal.

But A lot of people love them and put leashes on them :p

We fly the Drone is 35 mph winds, , no need for a Gimbal protector but a lens protector makes sense .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on Water.

Reactions: A.O.
I have seen a few people destroy there camera putting it on and pulling it off which is why we have never used a gimbal protectors. A lens protector would make more sense. I take the drones on the motorcycle, car, on the jet ski and never used a gimbal protector . There frustrating, dangerous and poorly designed and engineered and people do forget that they have them on causing yet more issues to the Gimbal.

We fly the Drone is 35 mph winds, , no need for a Gimbal protector but a lens protector makes sense .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on Water.
Hey... I like my gimbal cover leash, I'm thinking about getting one in leather with spikes like I have for my miniature chihuahua!

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org

I beg to differ with you. I am by no means an expert but I do question your assertions.

- "frustrating" What is frustrating about a gimbal protector? If it is the act of removing and replacing it, practice should help it that. This is no reason to not use it.

- "dangerous" Please explain what you mean. I cannot find anything dangerous about it.

- "poorly designed and engineered" I don't understand this one at all. How could it be improved and still perform as intended?

- "people do forget that they have them on" True, but I easily solved this with a "leash" - a "Remove Before Flight" tag. I have never once forgotten to remove it since I added the tag. Even without that tag there is a warning message on the screen if you forget to take it off.

The gimbal and camera assembly is obviously the most delicate part of the drone and is the most susceptible to damage, especially during transport. It seems to me that any protection is better than none.

If you feel the need for a lens protector get a UV filter and just leave it on all the time.

My 2¢ worth.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom