DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal reposition in flight?

ccurry

Reactions
Hello all,

Quick question. I just bought a Mavic 2 Zoom. I set it up and went for a short test flight.

I noticed that when I had the camera pointed slightly up (let’s say adjusted to 4 toward the clouds) as I started to fly forward (not in sport mode) it reset down to 2. Happened a few times during testing. Almost like it’s resetting it’s self. Maybe that’s normal when looking up and flying. Didn’t try it pointed down though.

So the question - Is this normal?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Hello all,

Quick question. I just bought a Mavic 2 Zoom. I set it up and went for a short test flight.

I noticed that when I had the camera pointed slightly up (let’s say adjusted to 4 toward the clouds) as I started to fly forward (not in sport mode) it reset down to 2. Happened a few times during testing. Almost like it’s resetting it’s self. Maybe that’s normal when looking up and flying. Didn’t try it pointed down though.

So the question - Is this normal?

Thanks for the help.

No it should not do that, but is there a chance you were using one of the Quick Shot modes ?
Also did you set the setting in the gimbal to allow it to angle up or are you forcing it ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain.
Coal

No it should not do that, but is there a chance you were using one of the Quick Shot modes ?
Also did you set the setting in the gimbal to allow it to angle up or are you forcing it ?

Phantomrain.org
Coal

Was not in any type of quick shot mode. Just adjusted the camera up and went for a short flight forward, then it dropped down to 2. Always goes back to 2 or at least the 3 times I did it anyways.

Your thoughts?

Phantomrain.org
Coal

Not sure about the settings. Just holding the wheel on the remote controller and it goes up and stays in place then when I fly it goes back to 2.

Yes it's normal, the upwards tilt motion range is shorter than what the aircraft tilts forward at max "response".

Yes it's normal, the upwards tilt motion range is shorter than what the aircraft tilts forward at max "response".

So when I am flying with the camera pointed somewhat up, it will adjust back down when I fly forward?

Depends how far up you're looking, how fast you're flying, and how smooth your stick inputs are.

My Mavic 2 Pro does this also. You have to start out very slow or the gimbal returns to center. I have had some flights where it will stay angled up a bit, but there where no matter what control I use it drops back to center. Not flying in Sport mode and under 22mph. Gimbal works fine other wise so I have assumed this is some form of gimbal protection or some attempt to reduce the strain on gimbal motor as I guess when flying with it angled up, there might be more pressure. I have double checked camera settings and have not found anything besides the setting that allows the increased upward motion of gimbal, standard on all DJI drones.

Paul C

My Mavic 2 Pro does this also. You have to start out very slow or the gimbal returns to center. I have had some flights where it will stay angled up a bit, but there where no matter what control I use it drops back to center. Not flying in Sport mode and under 22mph. Gimbal works fine other wise so I have assumed this is some form of gimbal protection or some attempt to reduce the strain on gimbal motor as I guess when flying with it angled up, there might be more pressure. I have double checked camera settings and have not found anything besides the setting that allows the increased upward motion of gimbal, standard on all DJI drones.

Paul C

Thank you for your reply. I just don’t recall my last Mavic 2 doing that, it’s seems familiar though, but I don’t think I ever flown with the camera pointing up some either, maybe by accident. As long as it’s normal that’s my concern.

Update: I tested it again and it even does it when at zero limit on the camera. None of my other drones ever did this. This can’t be normal. I was flying forward with the camera at zero center level and it went negative 1 and again negative 2. That’s an issue when filming. Wasn’t in sport mode or any quick shots. Ugh.

Do you have have any button that is designated to make the gimbal go all up or down? If so you could be hitting that button without realizing it. I have one of the bottom buttons designated to do this. You can look In DJIGO while connected to your bird to verify what buttons are programmed for any specific actions.

Do you have have any button that is designated to make the gimbal go all up or down? If so you could be hitting that button without realizing it. I have one of the bottom buttons designated to do this. You can look In DJIGO while connected to your bird to verify what buttons are programmed for any specific actions.
Actually there is also the wheel on the front (antenna side) left of the controller. I have had to train myself not to touch it accidentally as it is very sensitive.

Reactions: The Rolling Drones
You can gimbal down with no problem, it's when you start to fly back, with the camera down (I always use the left side of controller). Once you start back, the camera snaps back to the middle, i.e. it recenters itself. If you gimbal back down, most times it will come back up to center. If you are flying under 5 mph it may stay down. This is the cast on both of my Mavic 2 Pros. Both current firmware 1 on standard controller, other on smart controller.

Paul C

Here is the scenario: I put the bird in the air. The gimbal camera is at 0. I fly forward. Not in sport mode or in any type of quick shot. As I fly forward (anything over 12 miles an hour). The gimbal will drop or reposition itself to a negative number of -1 or -2, but not all the time. If I repeat the steps above and put the postion at 3,4,5 or higher it drops down to 2, this option happens all the time or 2 can even go to zero. It’s totally random sometimes. Not hitting any buttons or touching any wheels. Straight out of the box this is what is going on. I’ve owned a Zoom before. Never had this happen. I’ve owned 2 Mavic Airs before never had this happen, I’ve owned 2 sparks, never had this happen. Maybe I’m making this bigger than what it is. Idk.

My bad, I mis read your original post. Sorry for confusion. My birds just recenter the gimbal, they don't go negative. Not sure what is causing that.

Paul C

Here is the scenario: I put the bird in the air. The gimbal camera is at 0. I fly forward. Not in sport mode or in any type of quick shot. As I fly forward (anything over 12 miles an hour). The gimbal will drop or reposition itself to a negative number of -1 or -2, but not all the time. If I repeat the steps above and put the postion at 3,4,5 or higher it drops down to 2, this option happens all the time or 2 can even go to zero. It’s totally random sometimes. Not hitting any buttons or touching any wheels. Straight out of the box this is what is going on. I’ve owned a Zoom before. Never had this happen. I’ve owned 2 Mavic Airs before never had this happen, I’ve owned 2 sparks, never had this happen. Maybe I’m making this bigger than what it is. Idk.

This is so annoying I am having the same problem with the Zoom and the Smart Controller , The fix is having to hit the c1 key to center , ugh.
I was looking for a way to turn off the Gesture movement on the screen for the camera but have not found it yet thinking that might have something to do with it.

This never happened with phone controller so its new and maybe just a Mavic 2 Zoom problem as I dont see anyone with a Pro having the problem as of yet,

Using the newest firmware.

Phantomrain.org
Coal

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu