DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal stuck during spherical pano, "Shooting Interrupted" warning

laurens23

Reactions
Unfortunately my time has come, and I'm in need of some advice/help/troubleshooting

During my last flight everything was working fine until I took a spherical panorama. After a few pictures I got a "Shooting Interrupted" warning and the camera got stuck. The camera then started shaking violently. While flying the drone back I also got a "Gimbal Motor Overloaded" warning.
  • Next time turning it on the camera made a banging noise (like it hit the boddy during startup movements)
  • Gimbal calibration performed succesfully
  • Still banging noise when turning on and no up/down panning (gimbal stuck).
  • Went home and gently felt and looked for anything unusual.
  • Mounting seems good, L-bracket is correct.
  • I noticed the camera/gimbal is touching the L-bracket when holding the drone upside down. very tight clearance when right side up.

As I did not find anything else I turned everything on and this time no more banging noise. I Did another successful gimbal calibration. I turned everything on/off a couple times and panned up/down it seems to be working. I can pan up/down and don't get any warnings, and the image is stable when I move/tilt the drone by hand.

Any idea what happened? anything I should check/do before flying again? is this a common or reoccurring issue?

I have never crashed, dropped or damaged the drone. When not flying I always have the drone stored in the fly more bag with the gimbal clamp and dome cover on.

here a video of the shaking:

Here the vibrations as recorded in the log (the pitch vibrations correlate with the pitch movements):
8c6h94m.png

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-04-21_[15-04-24].txt
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I noticed the camera/gimbal is touching the L-bracket when holding the drone upside down. very tight clearance when right side up.

These are normal clearances.

Any idea what happened?

It looks like your gimbal didnt like the combination of movements at 242. Did you manually pitch down at that point and were you yawing starting at 110?

Reactions: laurens23
These are normal clearances.

It looks like your gimbal didnt like the combination of movements at 242. Did you manually pitch down at that point and were you yawing starting at 110?

Good to know that there does not appear to be any physical damage.

Yes I did manually move the gimbal/camera down. (to check the center of the spherical pano I wanted to take.

Yes around 110 I turned (yawed) around. (to get a shot from the entrance of the valley.)

The camera worked fine until it got stuck in the middle of the spherical panorama @302.
during a pano the camera moves very rapidly from one orientation to the next. It looks like it got stuck going from 0 deg to 30 deg. That is where the vibrations start in the Gimbal Pitch in the picture.

My normal gimbal settings are fairly slow and smooth. but during pano it still moves at max speed. Is there a way to have the gimbal move slower during pano to avoid it getting stuck again? I dont mind if it takes longer to complete the pano.

My normal gimbal settings are fairly slow and smooth. but during pano it still moves at max speed. Is there a way to have the gimbal move slower during pano to avoid it getting stuck again? I dont mind if it takes longer to complete the pano.

What do you have your Gimbal Pitch EXP and Gimbal Pitch Smoothness set at?

Reactions: laurens23
What do you have your Gimbal Pitch EXP and Gimbal Pitch Smoothness set at?

Gimbal Pitch Speed = 20
Gimbal Pitch Smoothness = 20

This evening I did a 23 minute test flight. moved the camera around and did 2 panorama shots and everything with the camera/gimbal worked fine.
I hope it will stay this way and not get stuck again anytime soon.
ydrLclG.png

I did again see the drone bouncing up and down. I had noticed this behaviour before. Sometimes it seems to be worse then other times.
I took it up to ~2m to test the gimbal, but within 1 minute I had to add throttle twice as the drone drifted down to less than half a meter.
Then I took it up to 3m and just let it sit there without inputs. You can see how it was bouncing up/down in the ultrasonic height measurement.
To me it looks like lag in the barometric altitude, which stayed within 0.2m range (i think they do too much/long smoothing of the sensor readings in the current software)
A5DFflo.png

I with they added an option to use the ultrasonic sensor for keeping altitude when it is in range.

The only thing to do is keep flying and build confidence again.
I know the Mavic is better, but it still feel like my Xiaomi Mi 4K was a better flyer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky