DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GIVEAWAY: DJI Mavic Hard Case by Freewell Gear

Following a couple of recent reports involving Mavics suddenly shutting down completely in flight, diagnosed as improperly fitted batteries, my first tip would be to make absolutely sure that your battery is firmly retained by both clips before flying.
My second would be to remember that when flying downwind in anything more than a gentle breeze, your battery power could be consumed at a much faster rate on the return leg.

My tip: Bring the Mavic with you where ever you go and fly it as often as you can.

Thanks for the giveaway!

My protip comes from flying single rotor helis and applies even more to quads:

Learn to fly Tail-in and Tail-out - no other aids.

When GPS fails, modes switch, wind tries to overtake or anything else, being able to re-orient quick and fly to safety is the difference between a flustered crash or a recovery.

Safe flying everyone!

Reactions: RedBully and Hecull
A Mavic Pro Tip:

:) Register an account and become an active member at MavicPilots.com...Your #1 Mavic Pro knowledge base including Info, Details, and Updates, Online. :)

(*Edit)

Last edited:
Thanks for the giveaway!

My protip comes from flying single rotor helis and applies even more to quads:

Learn to fly Tail-in and Tail-out - no other aids.

When GPS fails, modes switch, wind tries to overtake or anything else, being able to re-orient quick and fly to safety is the difference between a flustered crash or a recovery.

Safe flying everyone!

For those of us who did not fly RC helis could you describe that please?

RTFM. Seriously.

Show some preventative curiosity before your unbridled enthusiasm gets the best of you and you're in way over your head.

Read. The. F. Manual.

Reactions: KMnO4
Never fly where there is a building or geographic feature between the controller and the aircraft. As great as the Mavic is, radio waves have their limits. (Plus, in those situations you are out of VLOS.)

Favorite tip: attached a red ribbon to the gimbal clamp to help remind me to remove it before flight. I was constantly forgetting to remove the clamp then getting gimbal warnings when starting up.

Reactions: Fletcher500
Thanks for the chance as I have been eyeing this kind of case and would love to own one.

My favorite tip is not to save your Mavic...that little quadcopter may be fun but it's not really all that expensive compared to other things that my tip covers.

My tip is to save your home, car, or whatever location you may be charging batteries in...not to mention your life.

The tip:
BATTERY SAFETY FIRST!

A close friend lost a $250,000 toterhome because he was charging batteries in a risky way. He was burned BADLY as the battery was charging on the center console, fired off and burned his leg, his foot, and his hand...we're talking skin peeled back and a LONG recovery...it also took the whiskers and hair off his dog's face. The family was lucky that he was able to get the toter off to the side of the road and shut it down before they all went up along with the toterhome.

Let the batteries cool down after using before putting them on the charger.

Use a charging vault or bags that fit properly to protect from flames should the battery let go.

Don't cut corners on your charger as there is such a thing as too fast when it comes to charging.

2069697d1451769464-lance-renee-had-rv-fire-fb_img_1451769340625.jpg

My best tip is to always push record before you start flying! It sucks to miss capturing something because you forgot to push record!

Reactions: mlaczek
For those of us who did not fly RC helis could you describe that please?
Absolutely!

Tail in or out is essentially flying towards or away from yourself, which of course reverses controls (flying nose towards you makes left = right and vice versa)

With a quad it's even trickier because it's much harder at a glance to tell which was is the nose (helis have tail rotors of course) and a push of the stick could push you into a tree real quick

I've found that making craft orientation a sixth sense is what really defines a good pilot, but I started way back when cameras weren't practical for r/c aircraft haha

Absolutely!

Tail in or out is essentially flying towards or away from yourself, which of course reverses controls (flying nose towards you makes left = right and vice versa)

With a quad it's even trickier because it's much harder at a glance to tell which was is the nose (helis have tail rotors of course) and a push of the stick could push you into a tree real quick

I've found that making craft orientation a sixth sense is what really defines a good pilot, but I started way back when cameras weren't practical for r/c aircraft haha

To add to this, if you do not have VLOS and you lose video and cannot get it back, keep yawing and flying a bit until you can see the distance from you on the controller start going down then keep heading in that direction until you regain VLOS or can hear it and help you get it home.

My tip is one few folks know. The Remote antennas have little notches in them so that you can lock them together before putting the RC away. Keeps those antennas locked down on the controller and prevents snagging them when pulling them out of your bag or backpack.

Learn from others in forums, YouTube, etc.
Let others make the mistakes; while you make note of their tips.

Read as many posts and watch videos tutorials and why Mavic Pro fly away, crash or just doesn't fly right.
Priceless info for what to do and not to do!
Same for video settings!

Here goes my tip:
try to find a secluded spot from where you can take off and fly. Not only because you will avoid to answer battery consuming questions of curious people, but also because you won't look dumb when you stop and stare at your mavic while hovering. :D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimwinter